Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1955797-istanbul-new-airport-ist-isl-master-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1963594-tk-istanbul-airport-thread-2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by northsideguy
Hello All! I have been followimg this forum as I”m flying TK soon. I still see TK selling flights deaprting Asian cities on the evening 1 March and arriving IST in the morning of 2 March. If they do go ahead with this move, and do not cancel these flights by 15 Feb 2019, won’t TK have to pay EU compensation for all those booked passengers? I just hope this doesn’t get push back to my travel dates on TK in April! Safe Travels To All!
There is another potential upcoming postponement, however this is not directly stated. But indirect statements from authorities could support the upcoming postponement for the movement. Also TK does not have to pay for cancellations or rebooking for passengers going to the EU or Schengen Area. As TK is not a European Union carrier, they are only entitled to pay EU261/2004 for flights from the European Union or Schengen Area to Turkey whenever it's the case.

There is no information about April at the moment. The authorities would give a public speech on the 20th of February about Istanbul Airport. That is all we know for the moment. Me and some other FT members are now discussing the movement in the Europe forum. I would advise you to check there on the afternoon of the 20th ( after 18:00 ( GMT+3 ) as we would probably know some further information about the movement.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:04 am

Hello All! I have been followimg this forum as I”m flying TK soon. I still see TK selling flights deaprting Asian cities on the evening 1 March and arriving IST in the morning of 2 March. If they do go ahead with this move, and do not cancel these flights by 15 Feb 2019, won’t TK have to pay EU compensation for all those booked passengers and reaccomadate them? I just hope this doesn’t get push back to my travel dates on TK in April! Safe Travels To All!
Following too as I have a TK flight on the 2nd of March from ZRH to IST. I expect TK to pay EU261 compensation if they don't cancel by 16th of February. I am pretty sure they wouldn't make this mistake though - they have a lot of flights from the EU to Istanbul, if they need to pay compensation to all passengers on those flights, that'll quickly add up. Duty of care also applies which means providing hotels, etc, that is costly too at such a scale.
I really hope the move gets postponed though. As much as I'd love to experience the new airport, I wouldn't want to be there on the day they start operations, and also sparse transport links to Istanbul city are unlikely to cope with a sudden influx in demand (I assume metro won't be open yet). It will be a mess.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
On every other transfer date there will be other people who complain that the transit is during their trip...on a certain date the transfer needs to be done. So yes, there will be probaly some kind of a mess for some people during some days, just accept it stop whining and go on. It`s one of the biggest airport transfers ever.

Last edited by northernstar84; Feb 13, 2019 at 3:47 am
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by northernstar84
On every other transfer date there will be other people who complain that the transit is during their trip...on a certain date the transfer needs to be done. So yes, there will be probaly some kind of a mess for some people during some days, just accept it stop whining and go on. It`s one of the biggest airport transfers ever.
Yes of course there will be people inconvenienced at any date, but I'd prefer to not be amongst those people. Hence I would (selfishly) prefer the move to be postponed. Which part of this is surprising to you?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I wonder if you miss the point? I think most of us can accept the idea of upset, and can prepare for it - perhaps by seeking alternative dates for travel, even other carrier (), or simply packing additional reading material and making sure we have a current e-visa for Turkey.

What's really not fair is the series of short-term push-backs that frustrate our planning.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:05 am

First I would like to apologize to the Moderators and everyone who has been so helpful, but I can’t let this coment stand without saying anything.

Yes, this big move will have to happen, but some of us have made travel plans, with family, flights, hotels, car, dinner, show and other reservations, well before the date of the moved scheduled for the start of the year. Now it is scheduled for March, but it is still not confirmed if this will happen, which may or may not impact our travel. We just would like to know, so we can make other arrangements.

In my case, it has already impacted by travel. I cannot book the Bosphorus Experience as TK has not finalized any contract with TAV to continue the progam past the March moving date. If the moved happens on the day of my outbound flight from BKK, do you know how hard it will be to reschedule or rebook on TK or another carrier during Songkran? This is one of the most busiest time to travel. TK business class tickets are already sold out on the two days after my flight, and availabilty on other carriers to my final destination is very low.

Your comment about whinning is very hypocritical indeed for someone, who has posted complaints and rude comments about others. I will not mention them here but I read your past posts.

Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold

First I would like to apologize to the Moderators and everyone who has been so helpful, but I can’t let this coment stand without saying anything.

Yes, this big move will have to happen, but some of us have made travel plans, with family, flights, hotels, car, dinner, show and other reservations, well before the date of the moved scheduled for the start of the year. Now it is scheduled for March, but it is still not confirmed if this will happen, which may or may not impact our travel. We just would like to know, so we can make other arrangements.

In my case, it has already impacted by travel. I cannot book the Bosphorus Experience as TK has not finalized any contract with TAV to continue the progam past the March moving date. If the moved happens on the day of my outbound flight from BKK, do you know how hard it will be to reschedule or rebook on TK or another carrier during Songkran? This is one of the most busiest time to travel. TK business class tickets are already sold out on the two days after my flight, and availabilty on other carriers to my final destination is very low.

Your comment about whinning is very hypocritical indeed for someone, who has posted complaints and rude comments about others. I will not mention them here but I read your past posts.

How many times has it been stated NOT to book ancillary services (hotels, tours, cruises, etc.) to be scheduled during periods of travel uncertainty, as exists with TK and new airport scheduling. If travel on those dates was SO Important, you could have booked travel on TG or SQ, as well as LH. OS, or LX, even with SAS
I regret your losses, but have little sympathy for your not being ticketed with less overall risk by choosing TK during this hectic scheduling period.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by cagcag
How many times has it been stated NOT to book ancillary services (hotels, tours, cruises, etc.) to be scheduled during periods of travel uncertainty, as exists with TK and new airport scheduling. If travel on those dates was SO Important, you could have booked travel on TG or SQ, as well as LH. OS, or LX, even with SAS
I regret your losses, but have little sympathy for your not being ticketed with less overall risk by choosing TK during this hectic scheduling period.
Problem is, as things stand, that means not booking any travel on TK at all until the airport move is actually complete., which might mean not flying with them at all for the next few months if not years. Currently, the only thing certain is that the move doesn't happen before 28th of February, but that's all we know. It can happen on the 1MAR, but it can be postponed to some arbitrary date later in the year. Even if you wait for it and don't book for that arbitrary date, there is no certainty it will not be changed again for another arbitrary date that you've actually booked for.

I don't have much sympathy for myself because when I booked my flight, the move was already scheduled for those dates, so its my fault. But I do have a lot of sympathy for people who have booked their flights for later in the year (e.g. in April for Songkran, as the person you quoted did) assuming TK will actually move when they say they will move.
Cheetah_SA and northsideguy like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello!

Just to let you know, ours tickets were booked in September 2018, when the move was suppose to happen in October, 2018. Our travel was departing BKK during Songkran and then in the US for the Easter Holidays. So our travel was sechduled almost 6 months after the announced moved date. Now since we are going to be in Boston for the marathon, and then in a major city for Easter, we had to book ancillary otherwise everything will be sold out. Sure we could have book on another carrier, yet TK had a flash sale and the 4 of us saved over 50% on a business class tickets. Now how could anyone know what will happen with travels 8 months in advanced? Who knew that this move would be postponed possible 3 or more times.

I never stated I suffered losses. What I stated that if the moved is delayed to April it may impact my travel, and because of this I am unable to book the Bosphorus Experience As TK has not contracted TAV after the March move date

This is getting way off topic. Once again I apologize to members here on the forum, but since I’m am being judged without the facts known, I have to defend my credibility on FT.

Last edited by northsideguy; Feb 14, 2019 at 9:27 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by ddartt
Problem is, as things stand, that means not booking any travel on TK at all until the airport move is actually complete., which might mean not flying with them at all for the next few months if not years. Currently, the only thing certain is that the move doesn't happen before 28th of February, but that's all we know. It can happen on the 1MAR, but it can be postponed to some arbitrary date later in the year. Even if you wait for it and don't book for that arbitrary date, there is no certainty it will not be changed again for another arbitrary date that you've actually booked for.

I don't have much sympathy for myself because when I booked my flight, the move was already scheduled for those dates, so its my fault. But I do have a lot of sympathy for people who have booked their flights for later in the year (e.g. in April for Songkran, as the person you quoted did) assuming TK will actually move when they say they will move.
Our tickets were booked in September 2018, for travel April 2019, and to top it off, we’ll be in Boston for the marathon and the States for Easter. Thank you and safe travels!

Last edited by northsideguy; Feb 14, 2019 at 4:12 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: OW Emerald(RJ), SA Gold(Turkish Elite)
https://onemileatatime.com/istanbul-airport-transition-delay

Lets see how valid this is. I wouldn't be surprised if this was true or debunked
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:58 pm

Also: https://ahvalnews.com/third-airport/...bandon-project
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well Makaky you did say back in early January that Ms. Funda Ocak has swore blind that it would open in March. I countered that she was a bureaucrat, and what she said meant nothing. Well she has gone now, the latest bureaucrat to fall victim to the shifting dates. She resigned yesterday, as the latest sacrificial lamb, whatever they declare on the 20th, it ain't opening until October at the very earliest and maybe even beyond..........
kumbara likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As I have experienced yesterday, 18 Feb

-Any of the Turkish Airlines Lounge's aren't ready at the moment so a meal voucher of ₺70 that I could use in any airport cafe/restaurant was given to me.
-As the Turkish Airlines Priority check-in area is not ready at the moment, priority check-in is done at check-in island F for the moment.
-There was a free newspaper stand in concourse D but not in concourse F so newspapers were distributed onboard the flight. My flight departed from gate F8a.
-The temporary lounge at concourse F, which was closed in January, is now locked and does not serve anything.
-Priorities and group numbers were not respected while boarding my international flight even though there was a separate lane for Business class and Elite pax.

These are my impressions that I have realized about TK. I would also share my impressions about the airport in the Istanbul Airport Master Thread in the Europe forum.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to let you know TK had opened their sales for ISL operations until the 30th of March. This means that they are scheduling the movement to 2 April. ( However, it's not yet officially announced ).

Mr. Bilal Ekşi ( CEO of TK ) had announced that 4 new domestic destinations would start from Istanbul Airport ( ISL ) on March but the number of 10 international destinations remains the same. And, I have realized that TK would still stick with aircrafts based in ISL.

Service changes from March:

Flights with Non-ISL based aircraft

Ankara flights remain the same ( x2 daily A321-231 )

Flight with ISL based aircraft

International flights:

Day operations:
Moscow-VKO ( x4 weekly with mixture of 737-800 and A320 ) { Days x247 } ( Decreased from x5 weekly ) ( EQUIPMENT CHANGE )
Paris-CDG ( x4 weekly with A321-231 ) { Days x246 } ( Decreased from 1 daily )
Munich-MUC ( x4 weekly with mixture of A321-231 and A320 ) { Days x135 } ( Decreased from x5 weekly ) ( EQUIPMENT CHANGE )
Frankfurt ( x7 weekly with A320 ) ( EQUIPMENT CHANGE )
London-LGW ( x4 weekly with 737-800 ) { Days x567 }

Night operations:
Tbilisi ( x7 weekly with 737-800 ) ( EQUIPMENT CHANGE )
Baku ( x4 weekly with A320 ) ( Decreased from x6 weekly ) ( EQUIPMENT CHANGE )
Kuwait ( x4 weekly with A321-231 ) {Days x357 }
Ashgabat ( x4 weekly with A320 ) { Days x246 } ( EQUIPMENT CHANGE )
Ercan ( x7 weekly with mixture of A321-231 and A320 ) ( EQUIPMENT CHANGE )

Domestic flights:

Day operations:

Antalya ( x4 weekly with A320 ) { Days x247 } ( Decreased from x1 daily )
Kayseri ( x4 weekly with A320 ) { Days x247 } ( EQUIPMENT CHANGE )
Hatay ( x3 weekly with A320 ) { Days 247 } ( EQUIPMENT CHANGE )
Gaziantep ( x4 weekly with A320 ) { Days x247 } ( Decreased from x1 daily ) ( EQUIPMENT CHANGE )
Trabzon ( x4 weekly with A320 ) { Days x247 } ( Decreased from x1 daily )
Erzurum ( x3 weekly with A320 ) { Days 247 } ( NEW ROUTE )
Konya ( x3 weekly with A320 ) { Days 247 } ( NEW ROUTE )
Samsun ( x3 weekly with A320 ) { Days 247 } ( NEW ROUTE )

Night operations:

Izmir ( x7 weekly with A320 ) ( EQUIPMENT CHANGE )
Adana ( x4 weekly with A320 ) { Days x247 }
Diyarbakır ( x3 weekly with A320 ) { Days 247 }
Malatya ( x3 weekly with A320 ) { Days 247 } ( NEW ROUTE )

In overall 4 Airbus A320, 1 Boeing 737-800 and 1 Airbus A321-231 (32R) would be based in Istanbul Airport in March.

Remark: I have miswritten the aircraft types or the days of operation as I gathered the data by myself via turkishairlines.com without any programming help. Apologizes for that.
If there would be any updates, I would continue to inform.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.