Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1955797-istanbul-new-airport-ist-isl-master-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1963594-tk-istanbul-airport-thread-2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I have just updated the official Istanbul Airport application and when I enter the flight details section, only flights until the end of 4th of April are shown. If you have access to flight details of the flights on the 7th. Please share a screenshot of the application which would make the passengers flying to the USA take a deep breath.
Good news! TK11 is now showing in the IGA Airport app for departure on April 6. Also, several flights from US gateways are showing as "arrivals" on April 6.

Phew... :-) I was already prepared to fly into Atatürk Airport again...
Sinter and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Looks like National Geographic is filming a documentary about the move - I cannot post a link here, but there is a trailer on Turkish Airlines' instagram channel.
ankomonkey and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
This specific flight is the first scheduled flight from Istanbul Airport to the USA
Sorry for giving wrong information. TK5 to Chicago on 6 April is now visible on the Istanbul Airport website and mobile application and this would be the first flight to the USA from Istanbul Airport.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am still wondering how this is supposed to happen? AFAIK, and has been discussed here multiple times, flights to/fr the USA (and mirrored by Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Panama and even Colombia) need FAA and TSA approval. Forgetting the FAA, there are countless examples of flights not allowed to/fr the US from airports that have not been vetted and approved by the TSA, one of the most recent examples being flights to/fr IST after the attempted coup. For those who may not recall, all flights to/fr the US from IST were suspended for about 5 days after flights resumed after the coup attempt, as they needed a TSA and FAA inspection and certification. Have they managed to get some kind of temporary certification? Has there been an interim inspection? Everything I am hearing here is different than what I have heard in the real world which is that the FAA/TSA inspection was again deferred because of the CAA faults. I guess we will see in the next 72 hours, however I find it all very puzzling......
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
I am still wondering how this is supposed to happen? AFAIK, and has been discussed here multiple times, flights to/fr the USA (and mirrored by Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Panama and even Colombia) need FAA and TSA approval. Forgetting the FAA, there are countless examples of flights not allowed to/fr the US from airports that have not been vetted and approved by the TSA, one of the most recent examples being flights to/fr IST after the attempted coup. For those who may not recall, all flights to/fr the US from IST were suspended for about 5 days after flights resumed after the coup attempt, as they needed a TSA and FAA inspection and certification. Have they managed to get some kind of temporary certification? Has there been an interim inspection? Everything I am hearing here is different than what I have heard in the real world which is that the FAA/TSA inspection was again deferred because of the CAA faults. I guess we will see in the next 72 hours, however I find it all very puzzling......
I don't think that Brazil, Argentina and Canada flights would be affected from a possible TSA ban. As I was one of the affected customers on 16 Jul 2016 ( not on a TK flight to the USA ), I remember the YYZ flight being operated that day even though it was delayed for 6 hours. I don't remember the GRU/EZE flight. But definitely, Latin America flights would be affected from the airspace restriction. Also AFAIK, that ban was placed for all departures from all Turkish airports that was certified by the FAA ( IST, SAW and ESB ) even though they have a technical stop elsewhere in the world in a FAA approved airport.

This time, in a possible non-certification, TK could figure the issue by having a technical stop on the way but that means that the flight time for all flights would increase minimum 2 hours as passengers would need to repass security checks and baggage should X-Ray'ed again at that FAA certified airport. Also, they have the option to move USA operations to SAW as it's a FAA certified airport but it won't be a good idea.

I don't remember where but in one of the forums ( not in FlyerTalk ) an insider had stated that FAA would visit Istanbul Airport on the month of February, but we have no evidence that if any authority from the USA had visited Istanbul Airport or inspected.

I really hope that TK would operate all USA flights from Istanbul Airport after the movement to avoid losing reputation. The only way to know is to wait until the TK5 takes off on the 6th of April.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They were originally supposed to have done the inspections in August but that was canceled by the Turkish authorities, as frankly they were not ready (whatever the excuses might have been) which was one of the main reasons that everyone knew that an October full operations opening was never happening AFAIK there was a CAA inspection in February but no FAA/TSA inspection.

AFAIK the nuclear option has been to stay at IST not transfer them to SAW. But now who knows.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:47 am

[QUOTE=hfly;30962909]They were originally supposed to have done the inspections in August but that was canceled by the Turkish authorities, as frankly they were not ready (whatever the excuses might have been) which was one of the main reasons that everyone knew that an October full operations opening was never happening AFAIK there was a CAA inspection in February but no FAA/TSA inspection.

AFAIK the nuclear option has been to stay at IST not transfer them to SAW. But now who knows.[/QUOTE

TK probably has the FAA’s airworthiness certification, but does New Istanbul Airport have the security certification?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by northsideguy
does New Istanbul Airport have the security certification?
We are all waiting for the answer of this question.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:05 am

We are all waiting for the answer of this question.
Me too.... We are flying IST to BOS on 4/11.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have created the third thread related to Istanbul Airport to shift discussions about long connections ( stopover hotels, city tours and sleeping rooms ) over there.
You are welcome to edit the WIKI over there, if you have further information about the respective subjects.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TK had started moving their aircrafts to Istanbul Airport as some aircraft are currently positioning IST-ISL

You could follow these historical moments at flightradar24.com
tartempion, vincewy, TM78 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would suggest you to flightradar24.com now to watch the historical last flight from Atatürk Airport which would take off in few minutes.

After the aircraft has taken off, I would share a screenshot of the flight.

Edit 1: The aircraft is now visible

Edit 2: He is the only one left

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Apr 5, 2019 at 5:13 pm Reason: Stated
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
The Last Flight

I’m on the TK54 - the last flight out of IST to SIN. Impressive media attention, lots of cameras.

I myself feel flattered. I was in IST during the opening of the lounge and today was the last day it was open. I experienced an era

Lounge looked like after robbery or even war. Empty shelves, insufficient drinks, food shortage, unclean lavatories and even missing napkins.

I hope next week’s return will be much more pleasure.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dabee69
I’m on the TK54 - the last flight out of IST to SIN. Impressive media attention, lots of cameras.

I myself feel flattered. I was in IST during the opening of the lounge and today was the last day it was open. I experienced an era

Lounge looked like after robbery or even war. Empty shelves, insufficient drinks, food shortage, unclean lavatories and even missing napkins.

I hope next week’s return will be much more pleasure.
HAVE AN EXCELLENT FLIGHT.
I hope you have taken photos to share with the FlyerTalk community.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Havana flight was delayed for 30 minutes and it's taking off now. Sorry for the misinformation above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.