Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:00 am

Are stopovers allowed on roundtrip M&S awards?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:26 pm

Any hope to know in advance the taxes for JNB-TNR on SA? Miles required should be 20k for a r/t.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Can anybody tell me if the *A UPGRADE table shown at http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...-upgrade-award

is one way or return?

Also, the award rules says the upgrades are per segment. So if I book SYD-ARN is it one upgrade or two?

Also, are there any additional taxes payable above the original fare?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Originally Posted by mjstallion
Are stopovers allowed on roundtrip M&S awards?
If you are flying roundtrip on Turkish Airlines, you are allowed one stopover.

Stopover Regulation:
On Turkish Airlines:
One stopover is permitted where award tickets are used for flights on Turkish Airlines.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
I was trying to book a direct flight from YYZ to YYJ in the summer.

I was able to confirm availability on the direct flight on Aeroplan.com (unfortunately it is now Rouge instead of AC mainline), however, the TK agent over the phone could not see any availability for the AC Rouge(YYZ-YYJ), or AC Express (YVR-YYJ). He said when he searched the specific flight, the system doesn't show anything to him, not even X0 I0 like what he normally see on AC mainline.

I ended up asking him to reserve YYZ-YVR on AC mainline for now. He directed me to visit an office to calculate tax and issue the ticket.

Anyone successfully booked AC rouge or express tickets?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:10 pm

Ok - I went to their Toronto office today. A few learnings:

1) Yes, you can book award ticket on AC Rouge or Express. However, their system wont see availability, but the office agent can request from AC. It took a few minutes to get confirmation for the seat that I wanted and saw on AP.com

2) Regarding taxes, they charge the all-in taxes and fees for the LOWEST REVENUE ticket at the time of booking. I did a one way business class redemption, so it was about $168 calculated based on approx $1200 base fare, exactly the same as shown on AC.com. It is about double what AP charges. The fee would be lower if I booked X instead I, because the lowest tango econ fare is about $469. Overall, it is bad, but at least they are not calculating HST based on full fare Y or J...

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:35 pm

I just had the weirdest experience today. I decided last minute that I wanted to go to San Diego this weekend from Washington DC. I started doing searches, pulling up around 500-600 dollar fares. Then I remembered that I had about 15,000 sitting in a TK account, and thought I would try my luck at an award ticket with TK. After MUCH research all day on how to go about redeeming these damned TK miles on United, I decided to email the local sales office. I got a very swift reply stating that there were no award seats available on United to San Diego all day tomorrow, on any routing for any award fares (economy or business). So then I started checking on United and saw there were PLENTY of Saver Award options, both non stop AND connecting options. So I decided to give their call center a ring (good luck, right?), got a woman, I explained the situation and my request, and she immediately regretted that there were no award seats available on United tomorrow. So then I decided to inquire about a return from San Diego to Washington DC on Sunday, and again, to no surprise, there were no award seats available on United on Sunday at all!

So then I said, so are you telling me, that there are no award seats available on United on any routing, non stop or even with stops, for ANY type of award seat? She confirmed, so then I said, well I see plenty of availability on United's website for the saver award, for many different options, why is it that you can't see it? I then proceeded to say, well, are there ever any seats available? How about I give you a date in April, will you take a look for me please? At that moment, the woman said, oh sir, I'm so sorry, it looks like there was a system outage, and now I can see availability for an award ticket for Monday. So then I asked her to recheck Friday, and sure enough, award ticket availability appeared! :O

So I booked the ticket but she told me that I had to go to the sales office by 2:55pm tomorrow to issue the ticket, and pay the taxes and fees. So I've emailed the sales office and hope they reply back to me soon with a credit card authorization so I can pay for the taxes.

Wish me luck for the next part!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by PDXBJV
I just had the weirdest experience today. I decided last minute that I wanted to go to San Diego this weekend from Washington DC. I started doing searches, pulling up around 500-600 dollar fares. Then I remembered that I had about 15,000 sitting in a TK account, and thought I would try my luck at an award ticket with TK. After MUCH research all day on how to go about redeeming these damned TK miles on United, I decided to email the local sales office. I got a very swift reply stating that there were no award seats available on United to San Diego all day tomorrow, on any routing for any award fares (economy or business). So then I started checking on United and saw there were PLENTY of Saver Award options, both non stop AND connecting options. So I decided to give their call center a ring (good luck, right?), got a woman, I explained the situation and my request, and she immediately regretted that there were no award seats available on United tomorrow. So then I decided to inquire about a return from San Diego to Washington DC on Sunday, and again, to no surprise, there were no award seats available on United on Sunday at all!

So then I said, so are you telling me, that there are no award seats available on United on any routing, non stop or even with stops, for ANY type of award seat? She confirmed, so then I said, well I see plenty of availability on United's website for the saver award, for many different options, why is it that you can't see it? I then proceeded to say, well, are there ever any seats available? How about I give you a date in April, will you take a look for me please? At that moment, the woman said, oh sir, I'm so sorry, it looks like there was a system outage, and now I can see availability for an award ticket for Monday. So then I asked her to recheck Friday, and sure enough, award ticket availability appeared! :O

So I booked the ticket but she told me that I had to go to the sales office by 2:55pm tomorrow to issue the ticket, and pay the taxes and fees. So I've emailed the sales office and hope they reply back to me soon with a credit card authorization so I can pay for the taxes.

Wish me luck for the next part!
I was told by the agent in local office that, call Centre agents were told not to request seats from airlines. Local office do not usually respond to booking via email - they direct you to call Centre. Your best bet is visit local office in person.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: Air France Flying blue Platinum, TK ELITE STAR ALLIANCE GOLD
Purchase of LOT flights with Miles&Smiles miles

Hello,
Probably there is an existing thread but I couldnt find it.
I am wondering if anybody knows how can I purschase LOT Polish Ailrines award ticket with miles from my Miles&Smiles account.
Can I do it online somehow or I need to make a call?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
It's not that hard to find:
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: TK Elite
What's the best foolproof way to look for availability that TK will see? Do you usually use United's website or Expertflyer?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I'm not sure there is one. I've tried a few different tools and all show more availability than what TK offers when I call them. Calling twice can product different results too.

I like their easy path to earn and keep Gold, but if it's so hard to redeem points what's the point?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by sydunipete

I like their easy path to earn and keep Gold, but if it's so hard to redeem points what's the point?
Exactly! That's why after fulfilling Gold criteria , I collect my miles elsewhere. If they want me to keep collecting miles to them, redeeming should be made easier.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Anyone succeeded to book IST-SIN on SQ in biz? The availability actually doesn't appear on United website, for example, but using LifeMiles you can book this ticket.
And if yes, would it be 45000 miles one-way (as far as i understand, there is no difference now in fares on TK metal and on partners)? Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by igor82j
Anyone succeeded to book IST-SIN on SQ in biz? The availability actually doesn't appear on United website, for example, but using LifeMiles you can book this ticket.
And if yes, would it be 45000 miles one-way (as far as i understand, there is no difference now in fares on TK metal and on partners)? Thanks
Slightly OT, but many times I can "see" SQ availability on Lifemiles but it errors out well before I can actually book it. SQ don't allow partners to book most of its J rewards. (and the ones it does are usually in configurations you want to avoid anyhow...) So, chances are you aren't seeing real availability through Lifemiles, especially if it is the only Star Alliance partner you can see it with.

BTW, IST-SIN is a fairly well-known sweetspot with Krisflyer, where you don't have that problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.