Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tobiashenry
Can I ask for some clarification?

Award for single business class flight from UK and Far East by TK and * member both costs 45 k miles. Since MPM is not impermissible, can I take a flight with two segments combined together? I want to fly to HKG from LHR.

On expertflyer, it says it's okay to book this two flight is permissible to book separately
BR 68 LHR-TPE (via BKK) 21:35/21:05+1
BR 827 TPE- HKG 21:55/23:00

However, when I search for LHR-HKG, the EVA option is not here.

Can anyone advise whether it is permissible to combine two segments, or just because the transit time is too short (~45 mins)?
That would be impossible since it's below the minimum connection time, unless you want to buy two separate award tickets.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: TK Gold
Originally Posted by LH4116
That would be impossible since it's below the minimum connection time, unless you want to buy two separate award tickets.
Can we usually combine two segments, say if the connecting time is not below the legal connection time?

If then, I might consider having a half day layover with BR, if permitted.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Can we usually combine two segments, say if the connecting time is not below the legal connection time?

If then, I might consider having a half day layover with BR, if permitted.
I've tried with two United segments that didn't show up as a connection, but the agent quoted me the price of two separate awards. I think it depends on the agent.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by LH4116
I've tried with two United segments that didn't show up as a connection, but the agent quoted me the price of two separate awards. I think it depends on the agent.
I am able to see this two segments on expertflyer. I called EVA London Office today, and they told me this ticket is doable if book through them. They told me despite short the connection, they are able to issue the ticket.

The strange thing is that when I call to the UK callcentre of TK, they told me that they can't find any BR flight to HKG, even when I asked them to find one to TPE. I re-confirmed twice and they told me nothing has shown on the computer for BR.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:39 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Question:

According to the TK chart, and its description of the regions:

Award Chart, and

Regions/Countries

does it mean that TK charges:

1. India (Central Asia) - TYO (Far East) is 110K in business for r/t. Is one-way allowed for 55K?
2. India (Central Asia) - Europe is 80K in business r/t: is that correct?

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Question:

According to the TK chart, and its description of the regions:

Award Chart, and

Regions/Countries

does it mean that TK charges:

1. India (Central Asia) - TYO (Far East) is 110K in business for r/t. Is one-way allowed for 55K?
2. India (Central Asia) - Europe is 80K in business r/t: is that correct?

Thanks!
I called TK, both * Award and TK award price are the same. However, strangely, I don't know why they only have limited options when I want to credit my flights. There are quite some options on UA website but the agent told me they don't have availability. Would that be better to go to TK ticketing desk at LHR/LGW?
Old May 18, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: TK*G, SK*S, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I am able to see this two segments on expertflyer. I called EVA London Office today, and they told me this ticket is doable if book through them. They told me despite short the connection, they are able to issue the ticket.

The strange thing is that when I call to the UK callcentre of TK, they told me that they can't find any BR flight to HKG, even when I asked them to find one to TPE. I re-confirmed twice and they told me nothing has shown on the computer for BR.
Beyond the possible issue with MCT-restrictions, this could perhaps be a case of the famous married segment rule by which individual segments may be available but not possible to combine on the same ticket. Many airlines in Star Alliance have this rule.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by ErasmusEBS
Beyond the possible issue with MCT-restrictions, this could perhaps be a case of the famous married segment rule by which individual segments may be available but not possible to combine on the same ticket. Many airlines in Star Alliance have this rule.
I see what you mean. Have you had experience with doing * award with TK, the agent on the phone says some strange things. He told me from LHR/HKG is all full with business even with TK. However, when I check online for the same day, I am able to do an award online. Eccentric. I guess I will go to the ticket desk in person. It is a waste of my time.
Old May 22, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
As a TK member living in MSP, without a TK ticket office: Is it simply impossible for me to book a Star Alliance award ticket-- for example, UA MSP-EWR, unless I go to a TK office (7+ hours drive from here)?
Old May 22, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kyushuman
As a TK member living in MSP, without a TK ticket office: Is it simply impossible for me to book a Star Alliance award ticket-- for example, UA MSP-EWR, unless I go to a TK office (7+ hours drive from here)?
Correct.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Indeed, this the big customer satisfaction hole with the program. Furthermore, not all staff working at these offices know the procedure...Recently I booked 2 separate awards on *A and they messed up one of the other reservation - no idea how some flights to Bodrum ended up in the reservation and subsequently lead to it being cancelled.

Another one, ticket was issued, but later got cancelled - however luckily the reservation is still sticking.

In my opinion this is a big mess with the award redemption part of this program which is actually the most important as time/correctness to the award ticket is crucial.

Cheers!
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:38 am

Hi all,

I'm breaking my head over the English in the T&C of the awards. Just to be 100 % sure, a one-way ticket is allowed on all Star alliance partners? Not only TK self?

Also flights in the same region is transit allowed? Or do they have to be direct flights?

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), SPG,Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Matt Newbie
Hi all,

I'm breaking my head over the English in the T&C of the awards. Just to be 100 % sure, a one-way ticket is allowed on all Star alliance partners? Not only TK self?

Also flights in the same region is transit allowed? Or do they have to be direct flights?

Thanks!
One way is allowed for both TK and *. Transit is allowed but no overnite stay. You can do IST-FRA-GVA for instance.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by aircommodore
One way is allowed for both TK and *. Transit is allowed but no overnite stay. You can do IST-FRA-GVA for instance.
Ah that's great.

So I understood these rules completely wrong?

17) One way award tickets are not applicable for other Star Alliance flights. One way award tickets will not be combined with other Star Alliance member Airlines award tickets.

Source: http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...y-award-ticket

And this one also:
*Miles are available for the flights with Star Allience and direct flights in the same origin.

Source: http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...d-ticket-table

This opens so much more opportunities! Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Matt Newbie
Ah that's great.

So I understood these rules completely wrong?

17) One way award tickets are not applicable for other Star Alliance flights. One way award tickets will not be combined with other Star Alliance member Airlines award tickets.
I believe that means that you can't use TK miles to get a one-way award on OTHER (non-TK) Star Alliance airlines. You can get one-way awards on TK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.