Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
I was hoping that if you go to a city-ticketing office in-person, the agents would likely be more competent than the ones on the phone. And you can actually coach them/show them how/what award flights you want.
I think that *may* work, but it already shows you just what it takes to issue *A rewards with TK compared to other programs.

I have introduced myself to the TK station manager in YUL and discussed this with him once (without a specific redemption request). He openly admitted that none of his staff had any idea about Miles&Smiles, never mind *A rewards, but that I could reach out to him when needed and he'd "speak to a contact in IST to see what we can do". It was a very friendly offer but not a very confidence-inspiring one.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Have anybody booked an award ticket from the US to Hawaii. Which award zone applies here, is it North America to Hawaii or the Domestic award zone?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Any news regarding the improvement of process to book *A awards?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Any news regarding the improvement of process to book *A awards?
No, it's the same process as described in post 1.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Anyone knows what's the YQ is like if you book UA domestic US ticket with TK points?

TIA!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by nacho
Anyone knows what's the YQ is like if you book UA domestic US ticket with TK points?

TIA!
Just take a look at the YQ on a revenue ticket.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:28 am
Original Poster

TIA!
There is no YQ on US domestic flights. Award tickets only pay the $5 September 11 tax.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: TK Elite+
Originally Posted by LH4116
There is no YQ on US domestic flights. Award tickets only pay the $5 September 11 tax.
TK calculates taxes over highest fare (i.e. b for economy) including VAT.

Don't ask why
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: TK*G (Elite+)
Please note that it is NOT possible to ticket your award over the phone. Once you have completed your reservation you will be given a confirmation number. To pay for the award you need to visit a physical ticket office, where you will pay the taxes and have your miles deducted in exchange for an e-ticket number. You can do this at any Turkish Airlines ticket office in the entire world.
How long is the reservation valid? Just wondering if I can make a booking over the phone, receive a PNR and ticket it and pay in the office in a couple of weeks. Is there any deadline?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by sinus
How long is the reservation valid? Just wondering if I can make a booking over the phone, receive a PNR and ticket it and pay in the office in a couple of weeks. Is there any deadline?
One month as I recall
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ululaz
TK calculates taxes over highest fare (i.e. b for economy) including VAT.

Don't ask why
Even for US domestic flights? No other airline I know of charge more than the $5 tax for those awards.

The reservation is usually good for 30 days, but sometimes it's 10 days or less depending on how close the flight date is.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even for US domestic flights? No other airline I know of charge more than the $5 tax for those awards.

The reservation is usually good for 30 days, but sometimes it's 10 days or less depending on how close the flight date is.
That's exactly my thoughts - how could they justify to charge more?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:44 pm

I paid 250 usd tax for rt AC domestic flight.
That's exactly my thoughts - how could they justify to charge more?
They said "TK applies its own rules in accordence with IATA rules", when I complained.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well TK is definitely trying very hard to grab every penny for domestic US tickets:

Flight operated by United Airlines

Mileage required for round trip economy class ticket LAX-DEN-LAX: 15000miles/person

Tax fee: HKD 1373/person
Same thing if you use MP - 25k points UAMP points plus HKD 180 tax.

One thing that's strange though is that I don't think the flights I'm looking at is totally based on UA's saver award. I asked to look for 5 award seats and there are definitely more flights available than the UA saver award at united.com.

Not that I'm interested as at this price I might as well pay real cash to buy the tickets as the YQ is so insane.
Old May 9, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Can I ask for some clarification?

Award for single business class flight from UK and Far East by TK and * member both costs 45 k miles. Since MPM is not impermissible, can I take a flight with two segments combined together? I want to fly to HKG from LHR.

On expertflyer, it says it's okay to book this two flight is permissible to book separately
BR 68 LHR-TPE (via BKK) 21:35/21:05+1
BR 827 TPE- HKG 21:55/23:00

However, when I search for LHR-HKG, the EVA option is not here.

Can anyone advise whether it is permissible to combine two segments, or just because the transit time is too short (~45 mins)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.