Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by LH4116
My award costs 24500 miles so I plan to deduct 11000 miles from my sister's account and 13500 miles from my Mother's account which should be 24500.
Unless you are splitting your reward into two one-way flights at these prices, this will not be possible.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by LH4116
Today I called to make another award booking. Since I am paying with miles from a different account, I asked the agent whether it was possible to deduct miles from two different accounts to make the payment, which he said yes. My award costs 24500 miles so I plan to deduct 11000 miles from my sister's account and 13500 miles from my Mother's account which should be 24500.

Is it really possible to do this, or did the agent simply misunderstand my question? It would be great if it was possible, since then I don't have to pay the $135 transfer fee.
No, it's not possible. Don't trust the phone agents - they are hopeless. They will do that and then you'll have to pay the transfer fee.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Having more than 1 carrier should not result in having pricing as 2 separate awards.

Just booked 2 one way awards YVR-(AC)-NRT-(NH)-NGO FOR 45,000 miles each.

Last year booked one way YVR-(UA)-ORD-(TK)-IST-THESSALONKI in C, and a one way ATH-IST-(TK)-SFO-(UA)-YVR in Y for 50% of the return mileage for each.

If booking 2 or more carriers resulted in pricing each segment as a separate award it would be in the t&c's.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:18 am

which airlines F possible to book with TK award?
and how many miles is it?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by raporot
which airlines F possible to book with TK award?
and how many miles is it?
All airlines who offer it except for SWISS and Singapore Airlines. Check the award chart for the price.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Apologies if it's a stupid question, but I have some difficulty to understand clearly TK *A partner award table... what's the TK miles amount needed for BRU-GVA or BRU-FRA-GVA oneway in Y with SN or LH? 15k or 10k? And how to know the related taxes/fee amount in advance?

Thank you
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lefly
Apologies if it's a stupid question, but I have some difficulty to understand clearly TK *A partner award table... what's the TK miles amount needed for BRU-GVA or BRU-FRA-GVA oneway in Y with SN or LH? 15k or 10k? And how to know the related taxes/fee amount in advance?

Thank you
10K in Economy. But personally I wouldn't bother booking it since you'll end up paying more in taxes and fuel surcharges, than you'd pay for a discount economy ticket. If you want to know the taxes and fees, look up the same fare on the airline's website and check the fare breakdown. There you will see the cost of the taxes and surcharges which will be the same as on an award. Alternatively you can look it up on ITA Matrix.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Great, thanks a lot
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: TK Elite +, HHonors Gold
Can someone please post the link to the current award chart for Star Alliance partner redemptions?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by sazizi
Can someone please post the link to the current award chart for Star Alliance partner redemptions?
Presto:

http://www.new-milesandsmiles.com/index_en.html
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles Elite, IB Plus Plata
I tried to book an award flight on Lufthansa over the phone with no success. First agent claimed after about 2 seconds that she checked all the flights and there is zero availability. I did not even tell her which flight I want so I guess she did not check at all. I just told her that I want to fly from Zurich to Bangalore on Lufthansa. Second agent claimed that I can only book flights with TK over the phone. For Star Alliance flights I would have to go to a TK sales office. So I gave up for today.

Now I have got a few questions,

- If there is availability for first class award travel on united.com does that also mean that TK has got the same availability? On united.com you can chose between first standard awards and first saver awards. Does this matter to TK e.g.
first standard award availability is necessary for TK?

- On the return, the first leg would be operated by Air India, 2nd and 3rd leg is on Lufthansa. I read in this thread that all flights must be operated by the same carrier otherwise one will be charged more miles. Does this rule still apply?

And last question does anybody know how much I approximately need to spend for the taxes for a flight in first class on LH to India or Dubai?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
So, checking on availability from NA to Central Asia (IND) for example:

http://www.new-milesandsmiles.com/index_en.html quotes TK charging 77K for one-way in F.

But on UA website, it's almost double at 140K for LAX-ICN in F on OZ and ICN-DEL in J on OZ. Is TK M&S that good of a deal? Am I missing something here?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
UA doesn't have fuel surcharges, so there's that. But yeah, Turkish's redemption rates on premium cabins is pretty good. Well, except, its a LOT easier and quicker to get United miles vs. Turkish.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Am I missing something here?
Yes. Have you read through the experiences on this thread on what it takes to
a) manage to talk to a TK employee who knows what Star Alliance Rewards are
b) finds the partner-operated flights you want
c) is able and willing to find reward space in First Class
d) can somehow ticket you the same, and process your credit card for the taxes and fees?

I wish you luck. And once you found this person, maybe she/he can fix world hunger as well?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by airoli
Yes. Have you read through the experiences on this thread on what it takes to
a) manage to talk to a TK employee who knows what Star Alliance Rewards are
b) finds the partner-operated flights you want
c) is able and willing to find reward space in First Class
d) can somehow ticket you the same, and process your credit card for the taxes and fees?

I wish you luck. And once you found this person, maybe she/he can fix world hunger as well?
Very valid points, and are all true! I did read the thread. Don't know about the world hunger part (and having been extremely lucky to get a chance to work with WHO (once), that is not something to take lightly, and is a very real problem)! Anyways, this is probably not a place to discuss that.

However, I was hoping that if you go to a city-ticketing office in-person, the agents would likely be more competent than the ones on the phone. And you can actually coach them/show them how/what award flights you want.
I heard LAX airport office is pretty good in that regard? Anyone know of their offices in IAD/DC area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.