Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
You know the answer yourself what is fair, right? If it is shorter and more obvious route, then the lower miles should apply. But if the transit involves a longer and less obvious route, then higher miles should apply. Right? Logical at least for me
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA
I think there are allowed routings vs not allowed ones. The ones we are discussing are allowed and shorter and they do see the required miles correctly but it changes once you put the ticket on hold. If using the higher region makes sense for tk, they should have it in the rule. They also should not price/quote these at the departure/arrival region calculation first because it creates inconsistency when you actually try to book it after transfering or collecting miles etc.

i tried hard with tk but nothing worked, so i went to DOT. It seems to me that the only way is to complain to DOT. Please do so if you have the same issue so that tk is forced to fix it. It takes only a few minutes link to DOT complaint

Last edited by sony2012; Nov 19, 2017 at 11:42 pm Reason: added link
Old Nov 25, 2017, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just completed my fourth successful Miles&Smiles Star Alliance award redemption at the Arlanda Airport ticket desk.

Booked IST-SIN (stopover) SIN-ICN and ICN-SIN-IST on Singapore Airlines for July 2018. All in Business Class on the Boeing 777-200ER and Airbus A330-300 for 90 000 miles + $70 in taxes. By far some of the best value I've gotten for my miles, and I'm much looking forward to trying Singapore Airlines long haul Business Class.
pineapple_juice likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by LH4116
Just completed my fourth successful Miles&Smiles Star Alliance award redemption at the Arlanda Airport ticket desk.

Booked IST-SIN (stopover) SIN-ICN and ICN-SIN-IST on Singapore Airlines for July 2018. All in Business Class on the Boeing 777-200ER and Airbus A330-300 for 90 000 miles + $70 in taxes. By far some of the best value I've gotten for my miles, and I'm much looking forward to trying Singapore Airlines long haul Business Class.
$70 taxes for that routing? How's that possible? That's incredibly cheap! My LH J redemption (DE to Japan) is more like $600! HKG-SIN Y return with SQ with SK miles was like $50/ticket.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
$70 taxes for that routing? How's that possible? That's incredibly cheap! My LH J redemption (DE to Japan) is more like $600! HKG-SIN Y return with SQ with SK miles was like $50/ticket.
They charge whatever the operating airline charges in taxes and fuel surcharges. Singapore Airlines along with Thai and ANA don't take out any fuel surcharges on their flights, hence why you only pay the taxes. My Thai Airways redemption CPH-BKK-SIN-BKK-ARN earlier this year was only $50 in taxes, and the same goes for my two ANA redemptions last year.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by LH4116
They charge whatever the operating airline charges in taxes and fuel surcharges. Singapore Airlines along with Thai and ANA don't take out any fuel surcharges on their flights, hence why you only pay the taxes. My Thai Airways redemption CPH-BKK-SIN-BKK-ARN earlier this year was only $50 in taxes, and the same goes for my two ANA redemptions last year.
Interesting, either SAS cheated me on the YQ for a SQ ticket, or they have removed the charge since. UA doesn't have surcharge but I was quote outrageous YQ on domestic US flights using TK miles. I might see if I can try to redeem flights with TG/SQ instead next time. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: TK E+
I got an award ticket from M&S recently and since the available rules are very vague, I figure it may be useful for some to share my experience.

I was interested in a F ticket PRG/VIE to Japan. Or get one direction in F and C in the other one. My idea was to get LH (since it seemed that the airlines can't be combined easily in award ticket) or TG (would have to get a ticket from FRA or another airport, but I'd be okay with that).

TK office in Prague never replied to any of my emails that I've sent from September to November and since I was in Asia most of the autumn, I didn't want to make a phone call. When asking at TK Twitter or Facebook for alternate contact, I was always given universal answer telling me their email (that nobody ever answers) and phone number. I only got one sample itinerary from a TK employee, whose email address had been given to me by a friend. She confirmed available one seat in each direction not in my requested dates, but just few days earlier, and told me to contact the main office email address if I want to request the seat (which I did to no avail again). The itinerary was a return PRG-FRA-HND with both long legs operated by NH.

So when I finally arrived back to PRG, I went to visit their office with the itinerary printed out. The availability changed again but they were quite quick to find another one. All long-hauls operated by NH, I assume it has something to do with what some members wrote in this forum - the LH F availability only appears about 2 weeks before departure.

I did get this ticket. NH would have been one of my choices but I didn't expect to get this offer since I thought the rules were prohibiting combining more airlines (except TK+1) in the itinerary. I was also sceptical about the feeder from PRG in C, since according to what I'd read here, I'd expect to be charged extra for that (since it's "mixing classes"). But I was not.

I asked if one way was possible (thinking about returning not to Europe but directly combining with a business trip I need to go to just after) and they couldn't do it - maybe because of mixing classes/airlines, I believe ow awards have more restrictive rules. I also wanted to ask for connecting flights in Japan (outbound to KMQ, returning back from CTS). They said KMQ doesn't even come up in their system (strange, there are several daily flights on NH from HND) and CTS does, but it was not possible to put this in my itinerary (no reason specified, according to all available info I have, this could be possible and maybe I should have tried insisting, but it was not that important so I did not).

The price was 135 000 miles (as in the chart Europe-Far East) + 5018 CZK (approx 200 EUR), about half of which is the YQ for the LH hop from PRG.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I just completed a partner award booking for TG for FRA-BKK in Business Class and it was relatively painless.

Called the 1-800 number in the US. Asked to book an award on a partner airline. Fed the agent the precise flight details. (it may or may not have helped that TK didn't have any availability that day for its own metal) After five minutes, I had a PNR.

Went over to Barcelona airport this afternoon, expecting based on the data points in this thread to spend a couple of hours at least. After 15 minutes or so, I was asked to pay 110 euros in tax and a small YQ - roughly what I expected from a Matrix search. Walked away with a print-out of my e-ticket. ^

Wish I had tried it earlier. Could have saved myself a fair amount of YQ on previous TK rewards...
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
Interesting, either SAS cheated me on the YQ for a SQ ticket, or they have removed the charge since. UA doesn't have surcharge but I was quote outrageous YQ on domestic US flights using TK miles. I might see if I can try to redeem flights with TG/SQ instead next time. Thanks for the heads up!
SAS have fixed YQ's for all Star Alliance flights issued on 117-stock. I believe it's around €120 per way in YQ which is charged regardless if the airline takes out YQ or not. For instance you'll be losing out when flying Thai or Singapore Airlines since those airlines don't take out YQ on their own flights. The only exception where YQ isn't charged on Star Alliance flights is US domestic flights on United.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: TK*G (Elite+)
I am so disappointed with the award booking experience. I have booked domestic flight in Guatemala with Avianca, the call centre luckily found the availability and booked it and sent me to TK office to issue the ticket. When I finally found the office in LAX which could process it via e-mail, they want me to pay too high taxes.

When booking with UA, LH or A3 miles, the total tax is 2.70 USD. TK wants me to pay 59.70 USD which is:
TAX USD XB 26.00
TAX USD QQ 2.70
TAX USD YQ 31.00

YQ shouldn't be charged as Avianca doesn't require it for award bookings. And XB is Guatemala Value Added Tax which also shouldn't be taken as the fare is 0 USD. Lady who calculated the taxes used fare 217 USD which is ridiculous.

Looks like they cheat on the taxes. Any chance to force them to charge only 2.70 USD?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Don't issue the ticket and try book again/have the ticket issued at another ticket office.'

It is quite common for value added tax (if value added tax i paybale) to be calculated on the bais of a phantom fare when dealing with award tickets.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:35 am

@SK AAR easy to say... I have emailed more than 10 offices. They either send me to the webpage to book the ticket (lol), ask to come in person or if keen to issue the ticket, they want to charge me those high taxes. Office in WAW even wants $80 for that ticket.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sinus

YQ shouldn't be charged as Avianca doesn't require it for award bookings.
Unfortunately you might be mixing up apples and pears. It is the frequent flyer programme that decides whether or not to pass along YQ. You're aren't booking with LifeMiles, you're booking with Miles & Smiles. If Avianca - the airline - charges YQ, M&S can choose to pass that along.

M&S have also been known to invent YQ (i.e. United U.S. domestic) and there's no way around that.

Last edited by craigthemif; Dec 20, 2017 at 3:43 am
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:42 am

@craigthemif so why YQ is not charged when I book Avianca tickets with LH miles? And LH for their connections and most of other *A flights charge pretty high YQ. I know by experience that AV, CA and NZ are the airlines with 0 YQ when booking award tickets, with any miles.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by sinus
I am so disappointed with the award booking experience. I have booked domestic flight in Guatemala with Avianca, the call centre luckily found the availability and booked it and sent me to TK office to issue the ticket. When I finally found the office in LAX which could process it via e-mail, they want me to pay too high taxes.

When booking with UA, LH or A3 miles, the total tax is 2.70 USD. TK wants me to pay 59.70 USD which is:
TAX USD XB 26.00
TAX USD QQ 2.70
TAX USD YQ 31.00

YQ shouldn't be charged as Avianca doesn't require it for award bookings. And XB is Guatemala Value Added Tax which also shouldn't be taken as the fare is 0 USD. Lady who calculated the taxes used fare 217 USD which is ridiculous.

Looks like they cheat on the taxes. Any chance to force them to charge only 2.70 USD?
I agree, this looks strange. AV doesn'g charge any domestic YQ, even when issued on TK:
------------------------------------------------------------
AL FLGT BK T DATE TIME FARE BASIS NVB NVA BG
GUA
FRS AV 7972 Y Y 15JAN 0600 YEO00RIA 1P

USD 205.00 15JAN18GUA AV FRS Q31.00 174.00USD205.00
EUR 174.00 END
EUR 2.32QQ
EUR 20.88XB

EUR 197.20
RATE USED 1USD=0.848848EUR
BAG/SEAT/SERVICES AT A CHARGE MAY BE AVAILABLE-ENTER FXK
BG CXR: AV
WARNING - VC TK FAILED TICKET-ABILITY PRE-CHECKS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.