Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by MixalisK.
On Aegean site booking award ticket with TK is not possible. Only by phone. Aegean agent on phone found no availability.
Can I buy a ticket from TK website (ATH - KUL) and upgrade to business using Star Alliance miles? I will call them too but barely answer and I dont want to end up flying economy on a 11 hour flight
You would need to contact Aegean about upgrading flights using Aegean miles/points. You can't upgrade with TK using Aegean miles/points. You need miles with TK Miles & Smiles to upgrade with TK.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
You would need to contact Aegean about upgrading flights using Aegean miles/points. You can't upgrade with TK using Aegean miles/points. You need miles with TK Miles & Smiles to upgrade with TK.
It is Star Alliance not Aegean miles. But if I can't why I should contact them?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
It is Star Alliance not Aegean miles. But if I can't why I should contact them?
Could you please tell how Star Alliance gave those miles to you and to what account?
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:11 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
You can't upgrade with TK using Aegean miles/points. You need miles with TK Miles & Smiles to upgrade with TK.
Not true. Within Star Alliance, miles from one partner airline can be used to upgrade a flight with another partner airline. However, not all fare classes are upgradable this way. Here's an example for SQ - https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...ssUpgrades.pdf. One can also use United miles to upgrade a flight on TK. Not sure about Aegean specifically, but logic would say it should be possible.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Could you please tell how Star Alliance gave those miles to you and to what account?
Sure
These are product of bank reward
Used many times to buy ticket with TK on Aegean Site.
Anyway I called Aegean and prompt me to their website according to which only Y and B TK tickets can be upgraded. He also suggested me to verify with them but TK already told me to speak with Aegean.
These fares cost 1100-1200. For 1400 I could fly Jordanian full business or book Qatar economy for 700 and upgrade the longer leg.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
Not true. Within Star Alliance, miles from one partner airline can be used to upgrade a flight with another partner airline. However, not all fare classes are upgradable this way. Here's an example for SQ - https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...ssUpgrades.pdf. One can also use United miles to upgrade a flight on TK. Not sure about Aegean specifically, but logic would say it should be possible.
Chill. You read my reply in the wrong way. My point was that if you have miles with Aegean you can't talk to TK about upgrading; you need to contact Aegean about upgrading (TK flights). The OP has posted in the TK forum so I assumed that the OP inquired about contacting TK about upgrading flights with Aegean miles/points.

Now I understand that we are talking about "bank /credit card" miles/points which can be transferred to Aegean, TK or other anther Star Alliance partner and used there. The OP has already found out that Aegean will only upgrade TK flights if booked in very high/expensive revenue class.

It would be much better for the OP to transfer the miles/points to TK M&S and book TK flight there, but apparently the agents can see availability. Do the OP see availability online/on the TK website?

Last edited by SK AAR; Feb 1, 2023 at 1:10 am
Old Feb 1, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Sure
These are product of bank reward
Used many times to buy ticket with TK on Aegean Site.
Anyway I called Aegean and prompt me to their website according to which only Y and B TK tickets can be upgraded. He also suggested me to verify with them but TK already told me to speak with Aegean.
These fares cost 1100-1200. For 1400 I could fly Jordanian full business or book Qatar economy for 700 and upgrade the longer leg.
Thanks. So, bank rewards points were converted to your A3 account as miles, correct? If so, they are A3 miles, not Star Alliance miles as such(which yet do not exist) usable by A3 t&c for Star Alliance and other A3 partner redemptions.
B and Y booking classes are most expensive economy class ones, so that fare range above is logical.

Last edited by Jaenks; Feb 1, 2023 at 5:13 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:27 pm

Chill. You read my reply in the wrong way. My point was that if you have miles with Aegean you can't talk to TK about upgrading; you need to contact Aegean about upgrading (TK flights). The OP has posted in the TK forum so I assumed that the OP inquired about contacting TK about upgrading flights with Aegean miles/points.

Now I understand that we are talking about "bank /credit card" miles/points which can be transferred to Aegean, TK or other anther Star Alliance partner and used there. The OP has already found out that Aegean will only upgrade TK flights if booked in very high/expensive revenue class.

It would be much better for the OP to transfer the miles/points to TK M&S and book TK flight there, but apparently the agents can see availability. Do the OP see availability online/on the TK website?
transfer miles to M&S...
This is something I hear for the first time.
While browsing in Aegean site registered, I noticed a message saying that redeeming miles with TK and UA is only possible by phone.Since last October.
I called and for the next two months not a single award flight could be found. In Turkish website all flights are available for sale of course.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Thanks. So, bank rewards points were converted to your A3 account as miles, correct? If so, they are A3 miles, not Star Alliance miles as such(which yet do not exsist) usable by A3 t&c for Star Alliance and other A3 partner redemptions.
B and Y booking classes are most expensive economy class ones, so that fare range above is logical.
Yes these are miles to be spent on Star Alliance network. I have used them on buy tickets so far but not yet for upgrade. In TK site there was a link to Star Alliance website where someone could upgrade his ticket, therefore my confusion
Old Feb 4, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: United Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Elite
Does anyone know how long it takes for an award booking to be ticketed over the phone? Thinking of booking a same day UA flight but I need to call in, so not sure if it's doable.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 11:28 am

How to Book More Than One Ticket Online?

When I try to book for more than one person, I get the message: "The first award ticket can only be issued under your name. If you want to have it issued for a loved one, please contact the nearest sales office."

I'm not understanding - if you can only book one ticket online, why does the website let you select more than one? Is there a way around this restriction?

I'd like to book online rather than trying to find a cooperative ticket office.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iceiceui2
Does anyone know how long it takes for an award booking to be ticketed over the phone? Thinking of booking a same day UA flight but I need to call in, so not sure if it's doable.
Instantly/issued as you speak with the agent (when payment is processed succestully)
Old Feb 4, 2023, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
When I try to book for more than one person, I get the message: "The first award ticket can only be issued under your name. If you want to have it issued for a loved one, please contact the nearest sales office."

I'm not understanding - if you can only book one ticket online, why does the website let you select more than one? Is there a way around this restriction?

I'd like to book online rather than trying to find a cooperative ticket office.
This issue is discussed here:

unable to book award ticket for 2 pax on website - FlyerTalk Forums

Might be a temporary IT glitch,
Old Feb 5, 2023, 7:14 pm

Do I Really Need t Stop by the TK Ticket Office?

I just booked a UA flight to MEX by calling TK reservations. Kind of a blast form the past making a reservation by talking to an agent and spelling names.

She said that before flying I need to stop by the TK office to show them my my credit card. Do I really need to? When I look in the UA reservation it reflects that the ticket was issued. Or am I going to find that it won't issue me a boarding pass?
Old Feb 5, 2023, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I just booked a UA flight to MEX by calling TK reservations. Kind of a blast form the past making a reservation by talking to an agent and spelling names.

She said that before flying I need to stop by the TK office to show them my my credit card. Do I really need to? When I look in the UA reservation it reflects that the ticket was issued. Or am I going to find that it won't issue me a boarding pass?
They've told me the same about needing to validate credit card before flying, but reservation shows up on fine on UA. My reservation is in September so haven't flown it yet, but please report back if you validate the card at a TK office or not and if you have any issues. I suspect it'll be fine without validation but not sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.