Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2022, 2:53 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by Euteanzoic7216
Anyone else having the issue of Turkish Airlines not being able to issue an e-ticket because they have technical difficulties when trying to deduct the miles from your account after you successfully pay the taxes and fees on an award? I've been HUCA for a few days. My pin is 100 percent correct and I can use the pin to log into my Miles and Smiles Account online. When the agents try to deduct the miles from my account after I enter my pin via phone, it doesn't work, and they tell me to try calling back later. I have done that several times to no success.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I can't go to a Turkish ticketing office easily.
I had multiple experiences in October that TK failed to connect to the payment system on the phone. I.e., they could not connect to the "please enter your PIN code through phone pad" function.
Checked my calling record, the payment system failed on 26th, 27th, and 28th Oct. but worked on 29/10. On 01/11 it failed again but worked on 04/11.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by gary0723
I wonder if anyone can actually book a ticket without any issue with online booking.
The system seems like a beta.
The *A portion works sometimes - as does the TK metal online booking.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 11:45 pm

RE: TK showing that "Discount will not apply because you are over the age limit" error when redeeming miles:

I had the same issue as well and it happens when I was redeeming miles for 2 passengers, and the error pops up after I added the other passenger's information in the booking page. I was able to resolve this by adding the passenger information first (click your name in the top right corner -> My details -> My companions -> Add another passenger). After adding the passenger information, I can just select the two passengers in the booking page, and there was no error this time.
lifeonthego_k likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA million mile, etc
Success booking *A for two via call center

Just booked and paid for 2 UA OW tickets in J, Europe to US, via the call center for 45k miles + taxes each. Availability for multiple seats showed on the United website in I class, but this flight would not show up as available on the TK website via the website's *A booking procedure. Reached a helpful, efficient, proficient English speaking agent at the TK call center, who initially could not find the direct UA flight as available and instead wanted to route us via 3 connecting TK flights at 115k miles each. But when I gave him the date and UA flight number and said that UA website showed multiple award seats available in a class that should be reservable at saver level for *A partner airlines, he found it and had wife and me ticketed and paid within 10 minutes. No wait for me to be connected with the call center, no real problem for the agent to find and book the seats, no problem doing two tickets at the same time, no problem in paying the taxes via credit card (as some have reported), and only once did I need to spell names using the phonetic alphabet. Smooth sailing! +1 for the call center.
tropikey likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: BA, TK, UA, HH
Strange.
TK does not allow multicity award tickets on Start Alliance partner.
Although the agent was able to create booking/itinerary in X class -
out: YVR-OGG on AC
rtn: LIH-DEN on UA
but could not load the taxes and ticket it.
Any thoughts?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 09:59:44 +0300
To:
Subject: TK-xxxxx #S1-xxxxx# Regarding Your Feedback

Dear xxxx,

First of all, we are very sorry for this unpleasant situation you have experienced.

We pay the utmost attention to ensure our passengers' satisfaction from the first to the last moment of their flight and place importance on showing a customer-oriented approach.

We would like you to know that we scrutinize the feedback on Turkish Airlines employees/employees of the service provider firms we receive service from, together with the authorized units.

In consequence of our investigation based on your feedback, we have found out that our call center agent has continued to create the star award reservation with multicity and multi airline entrances as per your request on the related phone call. However, we would like you to know that award/star award tickets are valid for round-trip and one-way flights only. Multicity/multi airline entrances are not possible to continue the award/star award ticketing processes.

For more information, kindly visit our partner airlines award tickets web page.

We’ll be providing the necessary training and warnings to avoid this happening again in the future.

We wish to offer you a better experience in your future travels.

Sincerely Yours,

Nail B.

Elite / Elite Plus Customer Representative

TURKISH AIRLINES INC.

Customer Contact Center

"You may contact with us regarding our response via clicking hereand creating a new feedback. If you reply this e-mail, your response will not be received."
"For detailed information on the processing of your personal data, please visit our privacy policy page. For information on the processing of your identity/passport information, you can access Turkish Airlines Data Protection Clarification Text here."
Old Nov 30, 2022, 2:49 am

Programs: TK*G
If I book a one-way economy class flight, can I upgrade with miles using the 10,000 miles credit as if it is an award flight? Or do I have to have them all?
Old Nov 30, 2022, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No first hand experience but I think you can use the 10,000 miles allowed overdraft for anything, i. e. not only for purchasing award flights.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by FirstTjj
Use upgrade with miles TK upgrade with miles spreadsheet, google it.
It says 45000 for my flight, as i supposed. I have 35000 and i would like to know if it's possible to use the credit
Old Nov 30, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by Maux
It says 45000 for my flight, as i supposed. I have 35000 and i would like to know if it's possible to use the credit
Why you have not tried?
Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Why you have not tried?
Because i have not booked an economy ticket yet
Old Dec 3, 2022, 12:13 am

Booking a *A ticket for someone other than yourself has been the most frustrating experience ever. The website only allows you to book the award ticket for yourself, even if you add your traveling companion to your profile. You get an error that says you can only book for one person and to call in if you want to book for a family member for your first award ticket. But that error will stay there even after you have booked an award ticket. I was able to book a ticket for myself, but tried calling in for my partner when it was not possible to do so online. I have gone through 8 agents, and none of them have been able to find availability on their system for this United X flight. It's available to book online as its allowing me to book another single ticket....for myself. Have tried HUCA many many times to no avail.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by monkeyrat100
Booking a *A ticket for someone other than yourself has been the most frustrating experience ever. The website only allows you to book the award ticket for yourself, even if you add your traveling companion to your profile. You get an error that says you can only book for one person and to call in if you want to book for a family member for your first award ticket. But that error will stay there even after you have booked an award ticket. I was able to book a ticket for myself, but tried calling in for my partner when it was not possible to do so online. I have gone through 8 agents, and none of them have been able to find availability on their system for this United X flight. It's available to book online as its allowing me to book another single ticket....for myself. Have tried HUCA many many times to no avail.

The best scenario here would be to contact a sales office.
If you live near one, visiting one in person would even be more helpful.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 2:57 am

Programs: Miles & Smiles
I finally was able to book a Star Alliance Award with my TK Miles and Smiles Miles - What a hussle!
It took me 3 days and probably 20 calls - most of the agents at the call center (Germany) were unable to find the flight, even if it showed on their own System (turkishairlines.com).
I looked for award space on Aeroplan and United and they were both available in Business (Fare class I) but the agents were not able to find them on Turkish Airlines.

So now I have spent 90k miles for two one way business award tickets on Swiss (NRT-ZRH-MUC).
Step 1 - check for award space on united.com or Aeroplan
Step 2 - make lots of calls with the call center as no one picked up the phone at their sales office in Munich
Step 3 - make a reservation by phone
Step 4 - call again and pay by phone

Now I have a Turkish Airlines PNR and e-ticket numbers but I cannot convert the PNR to work on swiss,.com or lufthansa.com
I am sure that has been asked many times, but is there any way I can look up and edit the flights (e.g. seats) on Lufthansa or Swiss?
Thanks so much for the help community!
Old Dec 5, 2022, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by dt0809
I finally was able to book a Star Alliance Award with my TK Miles and Smiles Miles - What a hussle!
It took me 3 days and probably 20 calls - most of the agents at the call center (Germany) were unable to find the flight, even if it showed on their own System (turkishairlines.com).
I looked for award space on Aeroplan and United and they were both available in Business (Fare class I) but the agents were not able to find them on Turkish Airlines.

So now I have spent 90k miles for two one way business award tickets on Swiss (NRT-ZRH-MUC).
Step 1 - check for award space on united.com or Aeroplan
Step 2 - make lots of calls with the call center as no one picked up the phone at their sales office in Munich
Step 3 - make a reservation by phone
Step 4 - call again and pay by phone

Now I have a Turkish Airlines PNR and e-ticket numbers but I cannot convert the PNR to work on swiss,.com or lufthansa.com
I am sure that has been asked many times, but is there any way I can look up and edit the flights (e.g. seats) on Lufthansa or Swiss?
How much taxes and fees did you pay for your itinerary?
Old Dec 5, 2022, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dt0809
You would need to call TK again or ask a sales office for the Lufthansa/Swiss PNR and then you should be able view the flights and add extras ( such as seats, special meals, etc... ) at LH/LX.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.