Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
Hi,

Has anyone booked Air India flights using Miles and Smiles? I can see availability on the UA website but Turkish agent cannot see it.
If you can't see the flights online or if a hotline agent could not see them on their system, I would suggest you to contact a sales office for booking your award ticket.
They should be able to search manually and find the desired flights and price them.
mintcilantro likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If you can't see the flights online or if a hotline agent could not see them on their system, I would suggest you to contact a sales office for booking your award ticket.
They should be able to search manually and find the desired flights and price them.

Answering my own question here.

I can see single legs online but I cannot see connecting flights even if they are on the same airline.

I'm calling turkish to see if they will help me ticket it.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Answering my own question here.

I can see single legs online but I cannot see connecting flights even if they are on the same airline.

I'm calling turkish to see if they will help me ticket it.
Please don't forget to report back your experience with the TK hotline.
Thank you.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Please don't forget to report back your experience with the TK hotline.
Thank you.
The hotline was able to see AI flights.

Ultimately I could not book AI because I needed two seats and only one was avaialble.. I got a really stupid agent and I did HUCA and then this new agent knew what he was doing and helped me book SFO EWR BOM on UA. Note that this itinerary could not be seen on TK website. I could see the individual segments but not both as one ticket. The connection time is < 4 hours.

I got the UA confirmation from him and select seats on the UA website. TK can be painful but it provides solid value if you can put up with the hassle.
DaveS and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:43 pm

For Air China domestic ticket, the agent was able to put it on hold for 24 hrs without fuel surcharge. A bit shorter than TYP transfer which took ~36 hrs but still, redemption rate is pretty good.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:01 pm

Just booked a 7500 mile UA ticket to Hawaii for my friend. Transferred in yesterday from Citi, arrived about 18 hours later. Saw that the flight I wanted (IAD-HNL) was available with LifeMiles so I knew it was partner-bookable. Checked Turkish online Star Alliance booking engine but it wasn't showing (although connecting flights were). Ended up having to call Turkish 3 times (as instructed here) https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...ver-the-phone/ before I found an agent who could help me. The first agent seemed only vaguely aware of what a Star Alliance partner award was but insisted it couldn't be booked over the phone.

2nd agent was a lot more saavy and asked me for origin/destination and date etc. He found the flight I wanted but said United "has not made it available for booking by us" and said he had also "checked the other system" to no avail. He claimed United might be updating their system and try to call back in 2-3 days.

HUCA and get another saavy seeming agent. He found the flight I wanted as well, said it was available, but he had to "confirm with United." Ended up putting me on hold for 30 minutes while he confirmed with them, then brought me back on the line to ticket with credit card and mileage code pin. At that point I got a text message and email from Turkish saying 7500 miles had been deducted for a ticket for my friend's name, but the agent said I still had to hold we he "confirmed everything with United."

Ended up being on hold another 30 mins before he comes back and confirms me email, then sends me the e-ticket.

All told once I had a competent agent on the phone it took about 75 minutes. Not sure what the hold up was but glad I finally got it booked! 11 hour, $600 flight for 7500 TYP is quite a deal. Felt super good to be able to gift to my friend who was planning to travel to Hawaii for Xmas in any case.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:36 pm

I needed to make a change on one of the flights I have booked using TK miles. The hotline claims only ticket offices can change the dates. Any experience making changes to an existing ticket?

It seems like it might be easier to cancel the original ticket and book a new one. I was trying to save the 30 minutes it will take an agent to note down names and DOBs.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I needed to make a change on one of the flights I have booked using TK miles. The hotline claims only ticket offices can change the dates. Any experience making changes to an existing ticket?

It seems like it might be easier to cancel the original ticket and book a new one. I was trying to save the 30 minutes it will take an agent to note down names and DOBs.
The hotline agents should be able to perform changes, although it might be difficult to find a willing agent.
By the way, if you cancel and rebook, you would need to pay the $25 cancellation and mileage reinstation fee per passenger. If you solely change the dates without canceling the ticket, you would not pay any fees for the changes.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 1:10 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I haven’t traveled in almost a year (but that’s another story), or kept a close eye of developments on TK FT, but given how little complaining over cancelled flights I’ve noticed here, it seems like TK are doing okay in that regard.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
A data-point to pass along (Star-Alliance J-class Award on AC - Web-site: FAILED. Hotline: SUCCESS!):

I tried to book a domestic J award on AC today using the TK web-site. I was immediately able to find the flights that I wanted and the required miles and taxes were calculated. Interestingly, the required mileage was only 25,000 for a round-trip domestic J versus the 30,000 listed on the TK "Promotional Award" table. Unfortunately, I was unable to get past the passenger selection page without an error message. I called the TK Hotline hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. In this case, I was so very fortunate to have a highly competent agent on the first try who found the availability, deducted the same mileage rate as the web-site (25K), processed the taxes over the phone, and issued the e-tickets within a pleasant 15 minute conversation! I wish every experience with TK was like this one!
asnovici, Tifosi and DaveS like this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the update YOW_RTW .

As many people had success booking a *A award at the TK hotline, I would modify the WIKI of this thread that booking via phone is now possible, but needs a competent agent.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat.M&S E+
I was able to book 2 UA C- Awards (MUC/SFO)for 09/2021, only around amazed $125,-/ticket T&F. Very surprising, the webpage without any error message.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
A data-point to pass along (Star-Alliance J-class Award on AC - Web-site: FAILED. Hotline: SUCCESS!):

I tried to book a domestic J award on AC today using the TK web-site. I was immediately able to find the flights that I wanted and the required miles and taxes were calculated. Interestingly, the required mileage was only 25,000 for a round-trip domestic J versus the 30,000 listed on the TK "Promotional Award" table. Unfortunately, I was unable to get past the passenger selection page without an error message. I called the TK Hotline hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. In this case, I was so very fortunate to have a highly competent agent on the first try who found the availability, deducted the same mileage rate as the web-site (25K), processed the taxes over the phone, and issued the e-tickets within a pleasant 15 minute conversation! I wish every experience with TK was like this one!
Another data point, just had an identical experience as YOW_RTW. I found a domestic AC J award on the TK website but it gave me an error message after I had selected the passenger. I called the TK hotline and had it ticketed, paid for, and the miles deducted in a 16 minute phone call with a very helpful agent.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 8:35 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
A minor victory. Booked UA SFO-DFW in I class online for 12.5k miles without incident
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA P; Marriott G; Hertz 5*; Club Carlson G; IHG P;
I'm forced to book two mixed cabin tickets because TK doesn't allow it. Would TK check through our bags to final destination if I could combine the tickets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.