Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by esf
Did anybody ever manage to get the operating airline booking reference from Turkish Airlines?
I have an award ticket issued by Turkish Airlines, on a flight operated by Air Canada. Turkish Airline cannot provide me Air Canada booking reference. I have tried HUCA six times (with Turkey and US offices) and they don't seem to understand there exists an Air Canada booking reference ... Frustrating ...
I contacted Air Canada, gave them my name + eticket number, and asked for the record locator. I can't remember the channel but it should work on either twitter or call center.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Garbageman
For future reference, the Toronto office is able to handle Air Canada reward bookings via email. After three or four messages back and forth for the required documents and credit card details, I just had them ticket two North American rewards on AC ($293CAD for taxes and 40,000 miles for two tickets). You can reach them at: [email protected]

I searched on Aeroplan first and fed them the exact itinerary that I wanted.
Thank you @Garbageman. I wouldn't imagine I can do a *A redemption using my Turkish miles until today. I fed exact itin to the Toronto office, sign some forms, email some IDs and eticket issued.

YOW-LHR one-way 30k miles:
185.00YQ 23.00SQ 25.91CA 2.99RC
Toplam / Total : CAD 236.90

Full YQ though.....
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by khkchan
Thank you @Garbageman. I wouldn't imagine I can do a *A redemption using my Turkish miles until today. I fed exact itin to the Toronto office, sign some forms, email some IDs and eticket issued.

YOW-LHR one-way 30k miles:
185.00YQ 23.00SQ 25.91CA 2.99RC
Toplam / Total : CAD 236.90

Full YQ though.....
No problem. Their Toronto office is very helpful and great to deal with.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I successfully issued a Business Class award ticket from Stockholm to Sydney/Melbourne on Thai Airways yesterday. There were however some issued with the pricing. According to the chart and in the booking, the award would cost 105K miles. When ticketing they charged 150K which is the price of Far East to Oceania. It makes no sense why it's more expensive to fly from Asia to Australia than it is from Europe. So in practice since there are no direct flights from Europe to Australia, you have to transit via Australia or India hence pay the higher price.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, *A Gold, ITA Executive, SkyTeam Elite Plus, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond
I just had the infuriating experience of booking an award flight with my Turkish miles. After HUCAing 3 times, I received a confirmation for my flight tomorrow on UA from FAR-ORD-DCA early tomorrow morning. They then instructed me to call the ticket office to pay taxes, but couldn't see the amount. JFK, IAD, ATL, MIA, ORD, IAH are all closed at 17:30 EST and CST, so I called LAX and left a message as they did not answer. SFO didn't answer either and didn't have a voicemail. What do I do if they don't call me back? The email confirmation I received indicated I need to "pick up" the ticket by 01:55 FAR time tonight/tomorrow morning. Should I go to FAR and talk to UA agents?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
UA will not be able to do anything for you as thís is a TK ticket.

To have the ticket issued you need to get in contact with a TK ticket office. Normally, you need to go there to have the ticket issued, but try to call the US TK offices again once open to see if anything can be done. Worst case scenario is that the ticket will not be issued in time and hence you will not be able to fly.

Booking TK award tickets on short notice is really not recommended given the annoying procedure that TK call center will not be able to deal with payment of taxes, YQ etc nor to issue the ticket but this needs to be done in person at a TK ticket office.

I wouldn't expect any call back from a TK office.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by LH4116
I successfully issued a Business Class award ticket from Stockholm to Sydney/Melbourne on Thai Airways yesterday. There were however some issued with the pricing. According to the chart and in the booking, the award would cost 105K miles. When ticketing they charged 150K which is the price of Far East to Oceania. It makes no sense why it's more expensive to fly from Asia to Australia than it is from Europe. So in practice since there are no direct flights from Europe to Australia, you have to transit via Australia or India hence pay the higher price.
Sorry, but 105k miles for Europe 2 to Australia is unrealistic low. Europe to Asia is 90k so 150k to Australia seem correct (and reasonable).
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, *A Gold, ITA Executive, SkyTeam Elite Plus, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by SK AAR
UA will not be able to do anything for you as thís is a TK ticket.

To have the ticket issued you need to get in contact with a TK ticket office. Normally, you need to go there to have the ticket issued, but try to call the US TK offices again once open to see if anything can be done. Worst case scenario is that the ticket will not be issued in time and hence you will not be able to fly.

Booking TK award tickets on short notice is really not recommended given the annoying procedure that TK call center will not be able to deal with payment of taxes, YQ etc nor to issue the ticket but this needs to be done in person at a TK ticket office.

I wouldn't expect any call back from a TK office.
Through some miracle, the Los Angeles TK office called me back and emailed me the forms. I filled them out and sent them back immediately. Keeping my fingers crossed for this one, but I've learned my lesson for future needs. Appreciate the advice.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:57 pm

That's a good sign that they ask u for forms. I emailed my forms to local office and 10 minutes later e ticket is issued.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Sorry, but 105k miles for Europe 2 to Australia is unrealistic low. Europe to Asia is 90k so 150k to Australia seem correct (and reasonable).
It's not about what is or what's not a realistic price. If it clearly states 105K on the award chart, I expect them to honor that price.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: TK*G (E+)
Hi guys,
anyone tried book with succes a *A premium economy award on LH, LO or AC with M&S miles?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Successful booking made

what an experience, but I've just managed to successfully book a reward flight. SYD-ARN J for two. As another poster has pointed out 105,000 is the quoted points but it's wrong. Even the call centre quoted me that mileage several times but the correct miles is 150,000.

i called the call centre several times and had no luck. Once I was quoted 240,000 miles.

the Stockholm sales office was even worse. They never answered the phone and one day when I went there in person they just took all the details and promised somebody would call me within a week. Of course they didn't.

my only joy came from the Sydney sales office. They did it all over the phone, allowed me to do a bank transfer for the taxes (etc) - no credit card accepted.

Thanks Sydney office - I was at a total dead end otherwise.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
List of sales offices?

Is there a list of local TK offices somewhere, ideally with contact info (phone number, email)? This would be very helpful for ticketing. I looked online but did not find this information.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by Rom Sac
Is there a list of local TK offices somewhere, ideally with contact info (phone number, email)? This would be very helpful for ticketing. I looked online but did not find this information.
https://p.turkishairlines.com/en-us/...h/#tcm40-18246
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: nothing but freebies
Stopover with oneway TK metal Award

Is stopover allowed for an one-way award? Can I stopover at IST if I fly JFK-IST-MLE?
How about *A award?

Last edited by edta450; Aug 21, 2017 at 9:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.