Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Any experience with changing the dates for return segments (after outbound being flown) for TK M&S awards? Of course a fee of USD 25 will have to be paid, but in some award programes it is not possible at all to make changes after traveling has commenced.

If changes to the M&S award ticket is possible after outbound coupons being flown, YQ will be recalculated for return segments when doing a date change? (now the YQ on award tickets for TG flights are higher than when my TK M&S ticket was issued).
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by SK AAR
If changes to the M&S award ticket is possible after outbound coupons being flown, YQ will be recalculated for return segments when doing a date change? (now the YQ on award tickets for TG flights are higher than when my TK M&S ticket was issued).
No experience but with paid tickets you always use the fare in effect on date of issue once the first segment has been flown, i.e. no extra YQ in this case. With TK however I wouldn't trust that.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:11 am

Little word of caution if you book an award with TK and need to add an infant later. I realize that here it is TP who is at fault but alas it was a TK award so I'm reporting it here.

Was due to fly AMS-LIS-PDL on TP in J class, two adults and one infant in lap. The award was booked without a problem, and I was advised to call TP to add the infant. I did so, and I could purchase the ticket and have it added to the original PNR. PNR could be found on the TP website until a couple of weeks before departure, then it disappeared so I reconfirmed with the TK office that the ticket was OK (in hindsight I should have checked with TP too).

I arrived at the airport and the ticket was "open for use" but no PNR was attached to the tickets. Long story short the very helpful contracted agents at AMS got on the phone with TP and got the ticket reinstated, too late to make the original flights but we were rerouted through OPO.

Apparently the problem was the later addition of the lap infant, and TP just canceled the whole thing without informing either me or the issuing office.

If you make any changes to an award ticket or involving one keep on checking nothing goes wrong!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Glad things ultimately turned out okay. Travel with an infant is hard enough without hearing that something is wrong with your ticket.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Is it still not possible to book two airlines on a one way award? I was looking at adding a short haul SQ connection from SIN.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Is it still not possible to book two airlines on a one way award? I was looking at adding a short haul SQ connection from SIN.
Should be possible as long as you have a segment on TK.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Granite64
Should be possible as long as you have a segment on TK.
Called and they are still saying that DPS-SIN-IST on SQ and TK would be two awards.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:05 am

Called and they are still saying that DPS-SIN-IST on SQ and TK would be two awards.
HUACA or try with a competent TK sales office (I've had a good experience with the SYD one).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
HUACA or try with a competent TK sales office (I've had a good experience with the SYD one).
Thanks. Will give it a go and update.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
I was pretty amazed this morning when I found Singapore Airlines long-haul business class award seats ex-Europe on United.com...!! I didn't even know SQ release their own J seats to partner airlines.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was pretty amazed this morning when I found Singapore Airlines long-haul business class award seats ex-Europe on United.com...!! I didn't even know SQ release their own J seats to partner airlines.
What route was this on?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Are you sure? Even SYD office says they can only have 1 airline on a award.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:27 pm

Is there yq on sq redemption?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:40 am

Hmm I was it yesterday too! But now all spaces are gone. Should have booked immediately yesterday now I regret so badly.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Are you sure? Even SYD office says they can only have 1 airline on a award.
HUACA

Last year I used the sydney office to book SYD-SIN-IST-ARN as a single one way redemption SQ/TK. They also offered me TG/TK options via BKK. It's definitely possible. I flex in April 18 and the Sydney office was fantastic.
onlysuites likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.