Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LH4116
Starting 1 June 2014 Miles&Smiles earning/burning rates are changing.

Here are some of the key changes:

Earning:
- TK earning rates depend on the fare class
- All TK fares will earn, including promotions
- Classic plus members earn more on Comfort and Business class fares
- Elite and elite plus members earn less on business class (175% for C & D or 160% for K & J, previously 200% regardless of booking class) and less on A comfort class booking class (125% instead of 150%) and more on U,O comfort class booking class (160% instead of 150%)
- Domestic flights earn more

Burning:
- High/low seasons have been abandoned
- Burning rates are the same for TK and Star Alliance carriers
- TK promise more capacity controlled award tickets
- One way tickets available at half the rate
- Regions have been revised
- Companion award is now 75% the cost of a regular award, previously 50%
- Miles needed for awards slightly increased (e.g. Europe2 to Far East in Business return: old: 70,000 now 90,000 miles)

Upgrades:
- All TK economy/comfort fares can be now be used for upgrades
- Economy > Business upgrades require half the miles of a full award

Award table has been updated and revised (no changes in some regions, significant changes in others).

What we don't know:
- Will status qualification levels change?
- Will Star Alliance earning rates change?

More info: http://www.new-milesandsmiles.com/
Print Wikipost

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by ovenman
It does seem strange but on the other hand, one would still collect mileage on their upgraded ticket and not have to pay the (cash) fees associated with an award ticket.
Except the cash fees for the upgrade are about $300 whereas the economy fare+taxes you would have to pay is about $1400 for Europe-North America during summer. And on top of that one would only collect 25% of the miles for economy flown. Still doesn't make sense. I actually took advantage of the comfort-Bus upgrades before and they were a good deal for 45K RT.

I'm planning to call M&S to get a clarification but I'm not very hopeful I'll get someone knowledgable on the phone, so I'm trying to find a direct contact in Turkey who I can talk to.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:37 am

I spoke with one M&S guy a few days ago and asked.

He said that they don't have any updated information yet.

Quo vadis TK ?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by moeser
I spoke with one M&S guy a few days ago and asked.

He said that they don't have any updated information yet.

Quo vadis TK ?
Nowhere safe that's for sure lol
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:30 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I am not sure if this is connected with the recent TK FF 'enhancements', but there is also a new AC (Air Canada) earning structure - most low fare buckets went down from 80% to 50% of the distance flown for TATL and do not earn miles on Canada domestic & trans-border flights

Flying TATL in Economy with Star Alliance does not make any sense - with oneWorld BA/AA/US give 100% for all fare buckets... Unfortunately I learned it too late and already purchased a ticket to LAS on AC, grrrr
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Am I reading this right?

Currently, domestic USA = 30K RT (current *A chart).

It will go down to 20K RT in the currently incarnation of the new chart.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by italdesign
Am I reading this right?

In Economy yes. For Business it's 30K RT on the new chart.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
Originally Posted by italdesign
Am I reading this right?

Yes, it's true.

But there is an explanatation below the table about this flight:
* Mile value for direct flights in the same region with Star Alliance member airlines.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
Flying TATL in Economy with Star Alliance does not make any sense
Unless you collect your miles with UA's Mileage Plus. There you get 100% plus generous elite bonus.

I really need to think about how I value the inflight experience vs. miles.

Yesterday I connected to UA Global First after TK IST LAX in C. On TK's flight a cheerful young crew provided excellent service, on UA tired old FAs that treat you as if you are part of the problem that they still need to work while they'd preferably sit at the beach drinking Pina Coladas.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vivamuci
Unless you collect your miles with UA's Mileage Plus. There you get 100% plus generous elite bonus.

I really need to think about how I value the inflight experience vs. miles.

Yesterday I connected to UA Global First after TK IST LAX in C. On TK's flight a cheerful young crew provided excellent service, on UA tired old FAs that treat you as if you are part of the problem that they still need to work while they'd preferably sit at the beach drinking Pina Coladas.
I agree..
I flew 8 legs with UA in march , those were the most misreables flights in my life..I even don't want to mention about UA lounges at all..

I love traveling to USA , but if I would live there with all those misreable airlines like AA,UA and etc, I would definetly stop flying
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by xxlboy
.I even don't want to mention about UA lounges at all..
How spoilt you are. Not appreciating the plastic wrapped cheese and "premium" liquors for as low as USD15 in the beyond luxirious United Clubs?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by vivamuci
How spoilt you are. Not appreciating the plastic wrapped cheese and "premium" liquors for as low as USD15 in the beyond luxirious United Clubs?
I remember back right after I graduated from University and got my first job as an engineer overseeing operations around in North America. I had never done any business travel and never previous in my life visited an airport lounge. At that time I thought "The Red Carpet Club" and flying UA in C was heaven on earth and top notch when it came to luxurious travel. Boy how a few months in Asia gave me another perspective.....
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by G_G
Yes, Elite Plus members are allowed 10 000 miles overdraft
I recently made another booking which allowed me to borrow a bit more than 10000 miles. I didn't play around the system to find out what actual limitation is. Overdraft will be cleared in a week, so I am cool with it.

This could be encouraging for those loving current Europe-Africa awards. One way award is still 12500 ;-)

Personally I think TK is not that bad communicating these changes nor the changes are dramatic. There are always better FFPs for someone. There are examples where changes were much worse like airBaltic ex-BalticMiles now PINS.

The only thing that worries me will there be direct increase of qualification levels. Indirect via new learning rules is clear.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by G_G
Yes, Elite Plus members are allowed 10 000 miles overdraft
Overdraft also works for Elite. 10K is the limit, though there are no rules/conditions written on how and when to pay back the miles.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:17 am

Sorry if this has been mentioned but has TK indicated if mileage accrual rates from partner and Star Alliance-flights will be changing as well?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pencereamelesi
Yes, it's true.

But there is an explanatation below the table about this flight:
* Mile value for direct flights in the same region with Star Alliance member airlines.
Thanks, and I see this note isn't in the current chart. Which begs the question, how will they treat multi-segment itins?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.