Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LH4116
Starting 1 June 2014 Miles&Smiles earning/burning rates are changing.

Here are some of the key changes:

Earning:
- TK earning rates depend on the fare class
- All TK fares will earn, including promotions
- Classic plus members earn more on Comfort and Business class fares
- Elite and elite plus members earn less on business class (175% for C & D or 160% for K & J, previously 200% regardless of booking class) and less on A comfort class booking class (125% instead of 150%) and more on U,O comfort class booking class (160% instead of 150%)
- Domestic flights earn more

Burning:
- High/low seasons have been abandoned
- Burning rates are the same for TK and Star Alliance carriers
- TK promise more capacity controlled award tickets
- One way tickets available at half the rate
- Regions have been revised
- Companion award is now 75% the cost of a regular award, previously 50%
- Miles needed for awards slightly increased (e.g. Europe2 to Far East in Business return: old: 70,000 now 90,000 miles)

Upgrades:
- All TK economy/comfort fares can be now be used for upgrades
- Economy > Business upgrades require half the miles of a full award

Award table has been updated and revised (no changes in some regions, significant changes in others).

What we don't know:
- Will status qualification levels change?
- Will Star Alliance earning rates change?

More info: http://www.new-milesandsmiles.com/
Print Wikipost

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by starflyergold
There are no changes in earning levels with *A or re-qualification levels.
It is simply not possible that there will be no changes in *A earning levels. How can THY compete if they offer 25% mileage on cheap fares like P when United give 100% on all tickets? Similarly, you can get 70% on even the cheapest Aegean fares. THY will surely modify the *A earning levels and probably do it at very short notice. If so, this does not allow M&S members to make appropriate future booking choices and is not fair to their customers.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by johnirvine
THY refuse to answer queries about earning rates on fares booked before the changes were announced, even from E+ members. This behaviour is totally unacceptable and THY should get their act in order!
I can answer that question: the new earnings apply. I had a NCE-IST-KUL roundtrip, with the outbound in may and return on june 1st; the new earnings applied to the june legs.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:23 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
It is simply not possible that there will be no changes in *A earning levels. How can THY compete if they offer 25% mileage on cheap fares like P when United give 100% on all tickets? Similarly, you can get 70% on even the cheapest Aegean fares. THY will surely modify the *A earning levels and probably do it at very short notice. If so, this does not allow M&S members to make appropriate future booking choices and is not fair to their customers.
United is the odd one out here not TK, have a look at *A earning rates with the likes of LH or SK and you'll see that TK's *A earning rates are not that dissimilar. That is not to say that there might be changes but at the moment there are none.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by starflyergold
United is the odd one out here not TK, have a look at *A earning rates with the likes of LH or SK and you'll see that TK's *A earning rates are not that dissimilar. That is not to say that there might be changes but at the moment there are none.
What about other airlines like LOT Polish Airlines? They currently give 100% mileage on all tickets to M&S members (although to get the mileage actually credited is extremely difficult). I am sure that major changes have already been agreed and, if so, it would be more honest for THY to announce these sooner rather than later.

As a former holder of the BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Czech Gold and United 1K cards, I know that all these airlines awarded mileage according to the rates applicable on the dates tickets were booked. To do otherwise, as appears to be the case with THY, is in my opinion disrespectful to customers.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:17 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
What about other airlines like LOT Polish Airlines? They currently give 100% mileage on all tickets to M&S members
Except for O, I, X, E, L.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:18 pm

Not sure if this has come up earlier, but I notice that TK has upped the required miles for non-Turkish residents from 37,500 to 40,000 miles for 2 years.
My statement now reads:

Required Status Miles for Elite requalification (*Thefirst year or **the total of the first and second year as of the beginning of the membership are considered) 25000* / 40000**

Their website hasn't changed even though its been over a week since the changes.

"Members residing out of Turkey need to collect 25.000 Status Miles either within the first year or 37.500 Status Miles within 2 years of the Elite membership. Otherwise, the membership status will be renewed as "Classic Plus"."

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...its/elite-card
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:24 am

Interesting, mine still say 37,500 on statement.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
so does mine.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: IC Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, HH Diamond
While I'm sad about the changes to the program I have to admit that I'm not suprised.

The whole change of the program is aimed towards for more domestic Elite Members. For domestic travellers the changes are not that bad especially if you look at the recent changes to the benefits of the TK Credit Card. As a CC holder you can now exchange Award Miles to Status Miles at a 5/1 ratio. Might not sound all that attractive to most of us but if you combine that with the permant offers they extend to the CC holders for xxxx extra miles per xxx spend I think lots of people can easily reach elite status that way.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:21 pm

"new miles & smiles" & mile hike?

http://www.new-milesandsmiles.com/index_en.html

Was looking at this website and I remember being able to get tickets from North America to Turkey for 50k miles. But now the lowest I am seeing is 60k. Did they just increase miles required and called it "new" ?

Also this website keeps saying it is now possible to get award ticket from partners but I am seeing no option. Do they mean calling the very useful customer service?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by averind
Did they just increase miles required and called it "new" ?
That's basically what has been discussed in this thread from the beginning, yes.

Originally Posted by averind
Also this website keeps saying it is now possible to get award ticket from partners but I am seeing no option. Do they mean calling the very useful customer service?
It has always been possible to book partner awards, just for much more miles. Nothing changed beside the amount of miles needed for partner awards, you still have to call to book them.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:21 pm

Surcharges on TK Awards

Originally Posted by geirfugl
200 to 300 thats not insane,with TK for a long haul,thats insanly cheap

Sorry,for one way its abouth right,as I have said before TK rewards cost the same for taxes as the cheapest Revenue tickets.
Could anyone possibly show a screenshot or details of a sample award, showing all the taxes and fuel surcharges? I would especially be interested in the cost of an award from Western Europe to Japan. I guess you could just give me a ballpark number too. $800 US or what?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I checked not long ago. Surcharge example from Copenhagen (can't remember the exact amount):

To China: DKK 3500
To Japan: DKK 4000
To the US: DKK 3500 for IAH, similar to DC and ORD.

I was so shocked. These prices are almost the same as a revenue ticket.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
I checked not long ago. Surcharge example from Copenhagen (can't remember the exact amount):

To China: DKK 3500
To Japan: DKK 4000
To the US: DKK 3500 for IAH, similar to DC and ORD.

I was so shocked. These prices are almost the same as a revenue ticket.
Thanks, Nacho, but are you giving numbers for one-way or a return trip? DKK 4000 is about $735 US, which is equal to about HALF of a revenue ticket. (Tokyo-Western Europe is a little more than $1400 in economy in TK.)

I don't want to pay $735 even for a return "free" ticket, but I just want to know for sure whether your numbers are for one-way or return. Thanks.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by wolfman888
Could anyone possibly show a screenshot or details of a sample award, showing all the taxes and fuel surcharges? I would especially be interested in the cost of an award from Western Europe to Japan. I guess you could just give me a ballpark number too. $800 US or what?
I usually pay NOK 1450 which roughly equals U$175 for a one way award ticket in C, from Scandinavia (Europe 2) to what TK consider as "Far East".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.