Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LH4116
Starting 1 June 2014 Miles&Smiles earning/burning rates are changing.

Here are some of the key changes:

Earning:
- TK earning rates depend on the fare class
- All TK fares will earn, including promotions
- Classic plus members earn more on Comfort and Business class fares
- Elite and elite plus members earn less on business class (175% for C & D or 160% for K & J, previously 200% regardless of booking class) and less on A comfort class booking class (125% instead of 150%) and more on U,O comfort class booking class (160% instead of 150%)
- Domestic flights earn more

Burning:
- High/low seasons have been abandoned
- Burning rates are the same for TK and Star Alliance carriers
- TK promise more capacity controlled award tickets
- One way tickets available at half the rate
- Regions have been revised
- Companion award is now 75% the cost of a regular award, previously 50%
- Miles needed for awards slightly increased (e.g. Europe2 to Far East in Business return: old: 70,000 now 90,000 miles)

Upgrades:
- All TK economy/comfort fares can be now be used for upgrades
- Economy > Business upgrades require half the miles of a full award

Award table has been updated and revised (no changes in some regions, significant changes in others).

What we don't know:
- Will status qualification levels change?
- Will Star Alliance earning rates change?

More info: http://www.new-milesandsmiles.com/
Print Wikipost

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 3:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LH4116
Overdraft also works for Elite. 10K is the limit, though there are no rules/conditions written on how and when to pay back the miles.
Just made a (telephone) booking as Elite. Was allowed up 10K overdraft but no more. CSR tried a 10,7K overdraft but couldn't get it, so I bought 1000 points.

P.S. Booking was an Economy->Business upgrade MUM-IST (7 hours longhaul flight) for only 15K points :-). I'm gonna miss the old reward prices ...
Old May 20, 2014, 2:25 am

Buy award-ticket now and change date later

Three questions:

a) Is my understanding correct: If I buy an award ticket now (or before 1 June) for travelling after 1 June then the old mileage table will be effective.

b) If a) is yes: do you think it would be possible to change the travel date of my award ticket after 1 June and no additional miles would be collected (as the new table would require more miles for the award ticket being bought after 1 June). Or do you think my ticket would have to be cancelled and newly issued (with new unfavourable mileage table)?

c) What do you guess, would the old changing fee of 20 EUR be applicable to such a date change, or would I have to adapt to potentially new changing fees?

I ask these questions because I want to burn my miles on a specific route (which will cost much more after 1 June) but I don't know yet the future travel dates.
I know that much seems to be uncertain, anyhow, it would be nice to have your opinion.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by postville
Three questions:

a) Is my understanding correct: If I buy an award ticket now (or before 1 June) for travelling after 1 June then the old mileage table will be effective.

b) If a) is yes: do you think it would be possible to change the travel date of my award ticket after 1 June and no additional miles would be collected (as the new table would require more miles for the award ticket being bought after 1 June). Or do you think my ticket would have to be cancelled and newly issued (with new unfavourable mileage table)?

c) What do you guess, would the old changing fee of 20 EUR be applicable to such a date change, or would I have to adapt to potentially new changing fees?

I ask these questions because I want to burn my miles on a specific route (which will cost much more after 1 June) but I don't know yet the future travel dates.
I know that much seems to be uncertain, anyhow, it would be nice to have your opinion.
(a) Yes

(b) Was in office on Sunday and they said changes after June 1 will use new chart. This is just one office's response though so not 100% confident this is correct.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: TK E+
I just booked an award ticket now for 3rd of June and got the old price.

As a side note: I was surprised to see how many award seats in C available on IST-BKK/SGN, just 2 weeks ahead in time. Could it be that TK is offering more award seats as a part of the new M&S?
Old May 21, 2014, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
Anyone been able to book Business award to/from the US? The only airport I found availability on is YUL... In Asia there's quite a bit more, found NRT, KIX, KUL and SIN.
Old May 22, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Anyone been able to book Business award to/from the US? The only airport I found availability on is YUL.
Wilko,

I checked some dates for ex-IAH and reverse routes on TK Web Site for November:

IAH-IST November - 10/17/24
IST-IAH November - 3/4/6/11/12/13/17/18/19/20/24/25

IAH-KUL November - 2/3/4/6/9/10/11/12/13/16/18/20/24/25/27/30
KUL-IAH November - 3/5/6/10/12/13/19/20/27
Old May 23, 2014, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by cheesedawg
(a) Yes

(b) Was in office on Sunday and they said changes after June 1 will use new chart. This is just one office's response though so not 100% confident this is correct.
Thank you for this info. When booking an award by phone the agent actually said the same as you in b).

Anyway, if I make bookings in advance now for dates I'm not 100% sure if I can travel then, I hope that the cancellation fee of 20 EUR won't change to 100 EUR or something like this
Old May 24, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
At the bottom of the award table, there is a special chart for domestic flights. The prices in this charts are slightly higher than those listed for TK domestic, as well as featuring First. Does this mean that TK are following the same lead as Lufthansa, e.g by offering a domestic chart that can be applied to all countries. So in other words a US domestic award in Business Class is 12,5K for a one-way?
Old May 26, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by LH4116
At the bottom of the award table, there is a special chart for domestic flights. The prices in this charts are slightly higher than those listed for TK domestic, as well as featuring First. Does this mean that TK are following the same lead as Lufthansa, e.g by offering a domestic chart that can be applied to all countries. So in other words a US domestic award in Business Class is 12,5K for a one-way?
That would be too good to be true Let's hope it's so I have not received an answer to any questions I have sent them, so I guess we just have to wait for June 1st and see what everything means...
Old May 31, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by raunow
Just made a (telephone) booking as Elite. Was allowed up 10K overdraft but no more. CSR tried a 10,7K overdraft but couldn't get it, so I bought 1000 points.

P.S. Booking was an Economy->Business upgrade MUM-IST (7 hours longhaul flight) for only 15K points :-). I'm gonna miss the old reward prices ...
I just booked one more Africa business award. I was allowed to overdraft almost 15k online. Had to buy couple of thousand miles, strictly no more than -15k. It is fantastic deal where one can overdraft more than half of the full award price. Taxes are really high though, more than 300 EUR this time.

I am E+ requalified on the first year of qualification with more than needed in two.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Changes have happened. C award Europe-Africa is 53k. Yesterday it was still 25k. I'm happy that I had pleasure to use old award system for quite a while.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
Same here booked 2x OW tix NRT-CDG and saved 20k miles!
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johhenrik
That would be too good to be true Let's hope it's so I have not received an answer to any questions I have sent them, so I guess we just have to wait for June 1st and see what everything means...
Hmm I tried using the online booking tool today to search for JFK-LAX. And while it doesn't show any flights it does show a price. Economy is 7500 miles one-way as per the domestic chart. Business however is 20 000 miles which is rather strange as the chart lists the price as 12500. Hope it's just a glitch.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
THY is self-evidently out of control. They have not fully launched the new Miles and Smiles program despite promising to do so on June 1st. We still know nothing about revised Star Alliance partner earning rates nor about possible changes in tier qualification levels. THY refuse to answer queries about earning rates on fares booked before the changes were announced, even from E+ members. This behaviour is totally unacceptable and THY should get their act in order!
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:26 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by johnirvine
THY is self-evidently out of control. They have not fully launched the new Miles and Smiles program despite promising to do so on June 1st. We still know nothing about revised Star Alliance partner earning rates nor about possible changes in tier qualification levels. THY refuse to answer queries about earning rates on fares booked before the changes were announced, even from E+ members. This behaviour is totally unacceptable and THY should get their act in order!
There are no changes in earning levels with *A or re-qualification levels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.