Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LH4116
Starting 1 June 2014 Miles&Smiles earning/burning rates are changing.

Here are some of the key changes:

Earning:
- TK earning rates depend on the fare class
- All TK fares will earn, including promotions
- Classic plus members earn more on Comfort and Business class fares
- Elite and elite plus members earn less on business class (175% for C & D or 160% for K & J, previously 200% regardless of booking class) and less on A comfort class booking class (125% instead of 150%) and more on U,O comfort class booking class (160% instead of 150%)
- Domestic flights earn more

Burning:
- High/low seasons have been abandoned
- Burning rates are the same for TK and Star Alliance carriers
- TK promise more capacity controlled award tickets
- One way tickets available at half the rate
- Regions have been revised
- Companion award is now 75% the cost of a regular award, previously 50%
- Miles needed for awards slightly increased (e.g. Europe2 to Far East in Business return: old: 70,000 now 90,000 miles)

Upgrades:
- All TK economy/comfort fares can be now be used for upgrades
- Economy > Business upgrades require half the miles of a full award

Award table has been updated and revised (no changes in some regions, significant changes in others).

What we don't know:
- Will status qualification levels change?
- Will Star Alliance earning rates change?

More info: http://www.new-milesandsmiles.com/
Print Wikipost

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:40 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by nacho
I checked not long ago. Surcharge example from Copenhagen (can't remember the exact amount):

To China: DKK 3500
To Japan: DKK 4000
To the US: DKK 3500 for IAH, similar to DC and ORD.

I was so shocked. These prices are almost the same as a revenue ticket.
I agree. Using miles for TK awards in Y is just a waste. However, with the old award cost of 70K miles + 3.000kr. in fees, return from Scandinavia to "Far East" in C was a pretty good deal.

Last edited by aulrik; Jul 3, 2014 at 12:50 pm
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
Booked NRT-CDG not long ago in J. Taxes were 208 euros. Ex Europe taxes are slightly higher (250 euros on that route).

These are one way numbers.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
The number I quoted are for return. I checked the figures back in May before the devaluation because I wanted to use it - however there are only 2 Y left for the route I wanted so I gave up.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by aulrik
I usually pay NOK 1450 which roughly equals U$175 for a one way award ticket in C, from Scandinavia (Europe 2) to what TK consider as "Far East".
Well, this is very confusing. $175 each way is far less than the $735 that Nacho quoted. I cannot make a commitment to this program unless I have a clear idea of what kind of value I am going to get. I did sign up, but the few points that I have will not allow me to do a dummy booking in order to see the taxes and fees.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You ought to be able to see. If you are in doubt, call their call center free using skype. Another way to see how much they are going to charge is to try to see availabilities at ita matrix - they do state the tax and fees.

If you want cheap YQ, go for SAS - they don't charge YQ for their own metal award flights. So from Scandinavia to US you are paying less than 100 EUR for tax.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:11 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Booked NRT-CDG not long ago in J. Taxes were 208 euros. Ex Europe taxes are slightly higher (250 euros on that route).

These are one way numbers.
There is a rather expensive tax for J tickets ex-France
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by G_G
There is a rather expensive tax for J tickets ex-France
Maybe Nacho's numbers were for a total return trip then. It seems like about $700 US is what extras come to for Europe-Japan. That is right in line with Aeroplan, another horrible mileage program. I hope United never decides to emulate these airlines.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolfman888
Maybe Nacho's numbers were for a total return trip then. It seems like about $700 US is what extras come to for Europe-Japan. That is right in line with Aeroplan, another horrible mileage program. I hope United never decides to emulate these airlines.
Yes of course it's for return trip - it wasn't possible to book OW award ticket with M&S before the 'enhancement'!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:32 pm

Yes of course it's for return trip - it wasn't possible to book OW award ticket with M&S before the 'enhancement'!
"Of course" is a bit harsh Nacho, since your claim of taxes and fees being equal to ticket cost, does not add up. Your number is HALF the cost of a ticket. I don't know all the details of the Turkish program, or I would not be here asking questions, of course...
Old Jul 4, 2014, 1:16 am

I have always been able to book one-way award tickets with TK for the 3 years or so I have been a member. Don't know if it has anything to do with where you are traveling from or your status level though?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have always been able to book one-way award tickets with TK for the 3 years or so I have been a member. Don't know if it has anything to do with where you are traveling from or your status level though?
Weird - I thought the new enhancement was that it's ok to redeem one way award ticket. I'm only E, so I don't know if E+ get better privileges.

I have yet to find 5 award seats to Hong Kong from CPH. Basically I can't use them during the old time with the capacity controlled seats because both cities have the various black out dates. IST-HKG has seats but then CPH-IST is solid booked.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:39 am

I have yet to find 5 award seats to Hong Kong from CPH. Basically I can't use them during the old time with the capacity controlled seats because both cities have the various black out dates. IST-HKG has seats but then CPH-IST is solid booked.
Yea, same issue to OSL, even though it seems to have been gradually better over the last 6 months. I have 3-4 return award trips in C, between Scandinavia and "Far East" a year, and for the last half year or so the availability have been decent, even when booked only 2-3 weeks before departure.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:40 pm
Suspended

TK is now introducing a new 2 tier redemption level system. I receved a very interesting email from TK and Garanti bank telling me that there are no bad news abouth MS,because if you have the Garanti credit card,like 95percent of TKs Turkish status customers,then there is no difference to redemption levels.In reality this is a 2 tier redemption system,one for Turks(and me :-)),the other for foreigners.

Please,mod,this should ofcs not be construed as criticism of TK,God forbid!!!

Combined with the fact that they are promising better availability,and the CC campains are getter better and better,I personally find it rather atractive,doubt if I would have felt the same if I had been buying full fare C tickets as a non Turkey based customer though,but thats NO critisism!!

BTW : for us first class members the guaranteed seat redemption levels are hardly much more than the other,and way less than what you other guys need for limited capacity,love TK !!!

Last edited by geirfugl; Jul 22, 2014 at 9:10 pm
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:01 am

Talking

Originally Posted by geirfugl
TK is now introducing a new 2 tier redemption level system. I receved a very interesting email from TK and Garanti bank telling me that there are no bad news abouth MS,because if you have the Garanti credit card,like 95percent of TKs Turkish status customers,then there is no difference to redemption levels.In reality this is a 2 tier redemption system,one for Turks(and me :-)),the other for foreigners.

Please,mod,this should ofcs not be construed as criticism of TK,God forbid!!!

Combined with the fact that they are promising better availability,and the CC campains are getter better and better,I personally find it rather atractive,doubt if I would have felt the same if I had been buying full fare C tickets as a non Turkey based customer though,but thats NO critisism!!

BTW : for us first class members the guaranteed seat redemption levels are hardly much more than the other,and way less than what you other guys need for limited capacity,love TK !!!
Not sure I get you here, except that you do not criticize TK :-). Will TK start offering more award seats for Turks than for foreigners? Or will Turks earn more miles on same booking class than a foreigner? (I hope none of this is true, but it's TK so it wouldn't surprise me).
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:49 am
Suspended

Not sure I get you here, except that you do not criticize TK :-). Will TK start offering more award seats for Turks than for foreigners? Or will Turks earn more miles on same booking class than a foreigner? (I hope none of this is true, but it's TK so it wouldn't surprise me).
The redemption levels for customers with Garanti bank credit cards have reverted to the old levels,my guestimate is that abouth 95 percent of TKs turkish status customers use this card,while 99 percent of their foreign customers cannot obtain it. So is this making a 2 tier system or not?,in my opinion it is,bcs this credit card is not generally available outside of Turkey,I can travel from OSL to Tanzania for 20K,you pay,I believe,4o K.That is rather fishy to me,and I would supose even more to YOU!!!

The acrual is still the same,but it would not surprise me if there will be good news comming.The text of the mail I received says that there are "no bad news abouth MS",so it would not surprise me if extra acrual is forthcoming in the future,quite possibly in the form of some sort of bonus miles for customers with Garanti Bank TK afiliated cards,but this is ofcs only speculation,but highly logical given the wording of their message.

Last edited by geirfugl; Jul 24, 2014 at 6:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.