Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LH4116
Starting 1 June 2014 Miles&Smiles earning/burning rates are changing.

Here are some of the key changes:

Earning:
- TK earning rates depend on the fare class
- All TK fares will earn, including promotions
- Classic plus members earn more on Comfort and Business class fares
- Elite and elite plus members earn less on business class (175% for C & D or 160% for K & J, previously 200% regardless of booking class) and less on A comfort class booking class (125% instead of 150%) and more on U,O comfort class booking class (160% instead of 150%)
- Domestic flights earn more

Burning:
- High/low seasons have been abandoned
- Burning rates are the same for TK and Star Alliance carriers
- TK promise more capacity controlled award tickets
- One way tickets available at half the rate
- Regions have been revised
- Companion award is now 75% the cost of a regular award, previously 50%
- Miles needed for awards slightly increased (e.g. Europe2 to Far East in Business return: old: 70,000 now 90,000 miles)

Upgrades:
- All TK economy/comfort fares can be now be used for upgrades
- Economy > Business upgrades require half the miles of a full award

Award table has been updated and revised (no changes in some regions, significant changes in others).

What we don't know:
- Will status qualification levels change?
- Will Star Alliance earning rates change?

More info: http://www.new-milesandsmiles.com/
Print Wikipost

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:08 am

This makes Miles&Smiles completely worthless. Not even the two upgrade vouchers a year are worth staying with M&S.

I was unhappy about the new UA award chart. However one gets 100% bonus on UA and joint venture partners, so getting the miles is much easier.

Very sad as I enjoyed flying with TK.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by LH4116
Overall TK is an airline littered with flaws, but their [at the time] generous FFP, good prices, excellent onboard products have been worth the tradeoffs. However if they now chose to pursue with these changes there isn't really much incentive left to fly this seemingly dysfunctional airline.
I couldn't agree more. TK's FF program is what have kept me loyal to them for the last 2-3 years, but like many others I'm taking my business elsewhere now.

The interesting part here is what lies behind their decision? This seems so far off, even by TK standard and they got to understand that they will lose a lot of business on this. The question is if they believe it's better business to fly non-frequent travelers from the third world, instead of pleasing their high-revenue customers. They will obviously cut costs tremendously on their FF program, which they might use for dumping prices to destinations in "emerging markets"
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:41 am

First time they published the new spending chart they did not have the "seat guaranteed" or "limited capacity" tabs. So I thought that they "only" doubled the needed miles for EU-Africa business award tickets, 47.000 vs 25.000 return. But no, 47.000 is now a one-way business ticket for limited capacity . So it's actually 4 times more expensive. Yes, the availability for limited capacity tickets will be better for sure, because there will be no redemptions ).

This is a kamikaze move, I mean why bother with status matching, etc when every sane person will kiss them goodbye now? I mean come on, did they have a brainstorming meeting one morning and they reached the consensus that for a business class ticket EU-Far East in limited capacity (180.000 miles) one needs to travel that route in paid business class for about 14-15 times??

One thing is certain: their Istanbul CIP lounge will not be so crowded this time next year. I don't know why they bothered with the extension...the "New" Miles & Smiles would have solved the problem for free...
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by aulrik
I couldn't agree more. TK's FF program is what have kept me loyal to them for the last 2-3 years, but like many others I'm taking my business elsewhere now.

The interesting part here is what lies behind their decision? This seems so far off, even by TK standard and they got to understand that they will lose a lot of business on this. The question is if they believe it's better business to fly non-frequent travelers from the third world, instead of pleasing their high-revenue customers. They will obviously cut costs tremendously on their FF program, which they might use for dumping prices to destinations in "emerging markets"
When one looks at the prices to fly out of VKO or CAI with TK in A or J, the above makes "unfortunately" alot of sense.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: TK Elite+
seriously

how do we get any clarification? it seems that even tk would be deranged to attempt something like this.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:56 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:58 am

I helped my mom match over to TK Elite like a month ago. This kills it for her because she's just a leisure traveler, so discount Y fares are most common. I'll sure miss transiting the IST lounge.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
^
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by aulrik

It seems,that they don't like their C Pax anymore.After Y,B getting 125 % now,I expected 225% for C,D.
Instead C,D are getting 175%.I can't believe it.

Originally Posted by vivamuci
This makes Miles&Smiles completely worthless. Not even the two upgrade vouchers a year are worth staying with M&S.

I was unhappy about the new UA award chart. However one gets 100% bonus on UA and joint venture partners, so getting the miles is much easier.

Very sad as I enjoyed flying with TK.
I'm really curious if our E+ Upgrades are easier to use on popular routes after 1st of June.
I have my doubts though.

+1
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), DL Gold (MM)
Originally Posted by Debian_alex
One thing is certain: their Istanbul CIP lounge will not be so crowded this time next year. I don't know why they bothered with the extension...the "New" Miles & Smiles would have solved the problem for free...
Typical of the right hand being unaware of what the left hand plans to do.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:22 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
^ +1
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
+1 ^^

I'm guessing the only way to prevent these changes from coming into action would be to send a public letter to the CEO.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: TK E+, BA G, SPG Plat, PC G, MR Plat, HH G
How can they spin that the new " Miles but no more Smiles "programme will bring more advantages...
Be More generous when Eco tickets earning reduced by 50-75% anc C tickets 20% less
Say that no more high season difference will be applied when they apply the current seat guaranteed miles for limited capacity award

Yes the programme will be
More dynamic (ywe will change the programme while we are changing...)
More seats available as nobody will accrue enough to claim
You can spend 50% on one way as this is the most you will earn in the 3 years before they expire.

The only advantage i see is that my E+ new year starts at the end if the year so I will have 4,5 years *G to have lounge access while I join a new programme.
The E+ upgrade voucher should still tempt me the next 2 years to fly with TK once but not almost every month like has been the case for the last years. Only when the price is much more attractive to justify no miles, transfer in IST.
But if you are looknmg for price, Pegasus must be a better option...

It is strange to me to spend money to double the lounge in istanbul when you make your airline totally unattractive for many frequent flyers so that they either wont earn enough miles to requalify or choose another airline /route.
Spend money on advertising with Man Utd, Messi,... when you make your FF programme /airline only attractive for travellers from regions in Russia, ..stans or people flying to Asmara, Noukchott or Kabul. People who dont really have much choice...
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by gold_digger
The only advantage i see is that my E+ new year starts at the end if the year so I will have 4,5 years *G to have lounge access while I join a new programme.
Where can I find the information about the changes of the membership year?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: TK Elite+
Could we perhaps contact Star Alliance? One could argue that we put our faith into TKs programme given that they are a Star Alliance member, and as such, highly regarded. While changes can be expected, they should not completely change the programme. Surely *A should listen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.