Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The future of Comfort Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
To provide another data point: CC upgrade was available for my LAX-IST and IST-LAX flights, 11/27 and 12/3.

$330 US, and the fare code changes to "U." As mentioned upthread, no mileage bonus.

Maybe this is a good solution for those stuck in a non-mileage earning fare class to buy-up into one that earns a ton of miles? The only catches are seat availability, flying a 777 with CC, getting to the airport desk in time...

Last edited by ianmanka; Dec 3, 2013 at 1:27 pm Reason: forgot to add dates
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: TK E+, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star, Sixt Platinum
paid CC upgrade

When I paid for the upgrade at the check-in desk I was able to get the extra miles.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by travelgo
When I paid for the upgrade at the check-in desk I was able to get the extra miles.
I'm sorry, should have mentioned I credited to UA, so no extra miles. I don't remember if other programs have a mileage bonus.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by ianmanka
The only catches are seat availability, flying a 777 with CC, getting to the airport desk in time...
So true, on a LAX-IST-LAX itinerary, I couldn't obtain the upgrade LAX-IST, but did receive it IST-LAX.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Priority Club Platinum, AA, USAir, ANA,
Got the upsell at LAX when checking-in for $330 Nov. 12 LAX-IST but not successful on the return trip from Antalya-IST-LAX. Not sure if the agent understood me when I asked about the upsell to Comfort Class for the IST-LAX leg, she just told me "No".
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:14 am

TK 12 & 1

Just took comfort from JFK - IST. RT on TK12 and TK1. Comfort class cabin was 95% full on both legs.

Hopefully they consider keeping it. Very impressed with the product… Spent $1300 AI for the ticket and would gladly pay the same for my next trip to istanbul.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
Originally Posted by rdash
Just took comfort from JFK - IST. RT on TK12 and TK1. Comfort class cabin was 95% full on both legs.

Hopefully they consider keeping it. Very impressed with the product… Spent $1300 AI for the ticket and would gladly pay the same for my next trip to istanbul.
Hoping too, flying TK in the summer
Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: TK Elite
Is Comfort class really dead? An agent in LAX said far from it!

I flew LAX-IST in Comfort class on Monday, I asked the agent about the class being done away with, his response: 'No way, the comfort class has been our best selling product so far!'

Kind of goes into the opposite direction of what we heard last June, too good to be true? If the class stays I'll certainly be happy!
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
What I was told was that Comfort Class has only been selling good on LAX and GRU. THe other destinations it's been pretty bad. I don't think they've ever said that they would stop with Comfort though, only thing that was revealed was that the new 777-300ER ordered would be 2-class cabins.

I fly to Shanghai a lot and Comfort is usually 33% - 50% full, while business sells out every time almost. So I understand if they want bigger business cabins to some destinations.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
On the other hand. I doubt they would be able to operate separate configurations of the same aircraft, seeing that they like to play switcharoo at the last minute.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by LH4116
On the other hand. I doubt they would be able to operate separate configurations of the same aircraft, seeing that they like to play switcharoo at the last minute.
Not on these destinations they do. I've never had a 777-300ER switched on the PVG route. I doubt it happens on GRU or LAX either.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
many airlines (CX, BA come to my mind) just put a sort of wall to separate J and Y+ and use the Y haley for Y+, I don't see why it wouldn't feasible to separate the comfort cabin in 2, keep half of the comfort and fit the rest with business seat?
I don't know about the rest of the network but on route to PVG, HKG or GRU, 28J seat is definitely not enough, J cabin is always packed on those flights.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I flew IST-YYZ over the holidays in Comfort (itin started in BOM, obviously those segments were regular economy). Bought the tickets about 3 - 4 weeks before travel. They booked into A class (hint: not expensive), were cheaper than lowest available regular economy on TK on my dates (i.e., not expensive), and price was comparable to the cheaper OAL (UA, LH, etc.) in regular economy (again: not expensive). So no brainer for me. Comfort was maybe 75% full on the outbound, probably closer to 90 - 95% on the return.

The service, food, legroom, seat, etc. was great. I was comfortable and slept much better than in a regular Y seat. But I know what I got a really good deal, and if others up there were paying similar A class fares then me, don't see how TK would be making money on it.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Rather than waiting for LH's Premium Economy, I've just priced out SK's Economy Plus and they could be a viable alternative to CC should TK decide to remove it.

Any feedback/suggestions? Perhaps this should be discussed in EuroBonus section, however, even the lowest B fares give 150% M&S miles and they codeshare with UA on domestic tag-on connections for almost the same price as with ORD, IAD, and EWR.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:34 am

I think SAS has a decent economy plus (SAS Plus) on longhaul. Best thing is that it gives 200% to Eurobonus, so you get the same amount of miles as in business class. The problem I have with SAS to PVG though is that it leaves CPH too early, so it's hard for me to fall asleep, plus it then of course lands too early in PVG I think. That said, I usually take two trips a year with SAS just to maintain my EBG.

And yeah, this is probably better discussed in the Eurobonus forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.