Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
IST can be a Zoo but 2 hours should be enough unless you are flying Business and want to avail of more time in the lounge.
Zorg likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: United | Delta | MileagePlus, Marriott
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
IST can be a Zoo but 2 hours should be enough unless you are flying Business and want to avail of more time in the lounge.
Thanks, that's pretty decent!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:22 pm

Transfer in Istanbul 2 different tickets

Hallo !!
planning to travel from Phuket to IST with Tk, only hand bag.
Transfering in Istanbul to a defferent airline, 2 different tickets
I have Bp for the second international flight

Can I go directly to transit area ,or do I have to go to passport control and costume in order to check in for my next flight?
Thank you
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Shlomit
Hallo !!
planning to travel from Phuket to IST with Tk, only hand bag.
Transfering in Istanbul to a defferent airline, 2 different tickets
I have Bp for the second international flight

Can I go directly to transit area ,or do I have to go to passport control and costume in order to check in for my next flight?
Thank you
If you have already the BP you will use the transfer area and remain airside with no passport and/or custom control. You will probably have to pass a security check again, but that's it.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Zorg
Thanks, that's pretty decent!
Originally Posted by Lefly
If you have already the BP you will use the transfer area and remain airside with no passport and/or custom control. You will probably have to pass a security check again, but that's it.
thank you! another question pleasw.
If we are 5 passenger , can 2 of us exit to arrivel terminal and take their lugage ,and the rest of us go to transit?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Shlomit
thank you! another question pleasw.
If we are 5 passenger , can 2 of us exit to arrivel terminal and take their lugage ,and the rest of us go to transit?
Could be possible, BUT
1. the passengers exiting the terminal are entering Turkey and therefore they could need a Visa (on arrival or obtained before the flight depending on nationality).
2. these passengers can't check-in bags of other people, only their own luggage. If they have to check bags of the other people in the group they have to do so under their own name, so there is the risk that they go over their bags allowance and consequently have to pay for excess luggage.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:37 pm

Minimum Connection Time

Have a UA award booked XXX-AMS-IST-TLV in J. The last two segments on TK. After a schedule change the IST layover is now 45 minutes. Hard to find concrete info, but it seems the minimum international to international connection time at IST is 60 minutes? I guessing, especially with extra security to TLV that 45 minutes is a no go.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
At some stage UA or TK will pick that invalid connection up and UA should/will contact you for rebooking. 45min at IST is a no-go.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by yoyo_hick
Have a UA award booked XXX-AMS-IST-TLV in J. The last two segments on TK. After a schedule change the IST layover is now 45 minutes. Hard to find concrete info, but it seems the minimum international to international connection time at IST is 60 minutes? I guessing, especially with extra security to TLV that 45 minutes is a no go.
can you please tell the dates? On TK's webpage I couldnt find a flight with 60 mins layover.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by axxoo25
can you please tell the dates? On TK's webpage I couldnt find a flight with 60 mins layover.
It looks like the standard Int-Int MCT at IST is 60 minutes.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
At some stage UA or TK will pick that invalid connection up and UA should/will contact you for rebooking. 45min at IST is a no-go.
Thanks. Got lucky and UA opened up seats on XXX-EWR-TLV in Polaris J. Shorter and better timed flights to boot.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: United | Delta | MileagePlus, Marriott
I'll be in transfer for a few hours in IST and was thinking about visiting the city... but the eVisa is just too much!

Some of the EU, NZ: $0 (no visa required)
USA, UK: $20
Canada, Australia: $60

I guess there is no way around it?
I'll be less than 10 hours in IST so no free visa from TK
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
It looks like the standard Int-Int MCT at IST is 60 minutes.
I was wondering which flight the TO has booked since there is no flight with 60 mins layover.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I want to update much of the info on FT (common now with so many newbies joining ). Despite reports, food and drink are available in the lounge overnight at least through 2am. At that time food and wine stations are dismantled for a few hours to be cleaned but alcohol and some snack stations remain. It’s of why they do this; there is no notice or warning. But at least it’s better than what is being reported on here that it ends around midnight.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:55 pm

Flying into IST from US to transfer internationally to Rome...have a 2 hour layover Friday evening. Any chance we are going to have time to hit a lounge before our flight to Rome? Assuming we don't go through Customs/Immigration...but based on what I'm hearing in this thread, it could take an hour to go through security check-points at IST?

It's a 13 hour flight into IST so I was hoping to hit a lounge before heading to Rome...

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.