Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Old Feb 5, 09, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by john93711 View Post
You just have to Schedule an interview within 30 days. The interview date it self can be anytime in the future, and is changeable online if your plans change.
Ah. You're right.

Well it looks like I might be in DC for a day next week and should be able to fly through Dulles.
Old Feb 6, 09, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Is it possible to get Nexus at the same time?
Old Feb 6, 09, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Anyone? It's my port of entry for almost all my international flights and is conspicuous by its absence from the list....
At present, GE is still classified as a pilot program, with a limited set of entry points for data collection/program validation requirements.
Old Feb 6, 09, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by shawbridge View Post
Is it possible to get Nexus at the same time?

No. NEXUS and GlobalEntry are two separate programs, administrated separately.

For the purpose of air travel, NEXUS is a program run out of Canadian airports only. There are U.S.-based enrollment centers, but most do not have the iris scanning equipment that is necessary in order to qualify you to use the passport control kiosks at Canadian airports. So, in most cases, you would need to schedule an appointment at a Canadian airport enrollment centre in order to join the program.

GlobalEntry is a wholly U.S.-based system, run out of offices at U.S. airports.

You can apply for both NEXUS and GlobalEntry via GOES. If you plan on joining both, I recommend applying first for NEXUS, which is $50 for a 5-year membership. Upon acceptance into the program, you will have been vetted by both Canadian Customs and US CBP, and confirmed as a "trusted traveler" by both. Then, if/when you decide to apply for GlobalEntry, you most likely will get automatic approval, since you already completed the CBP interview and digital fingerprinting that would occur at the GlobalEntry interview.

Also, if you are already a NEXUS member, then GlobalEntry membership is FREE! So, you get 2 programs for 1/3 of the cost! ($50 instead of $150)
Old Feb 6, 09, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Anyone know why DFW isn't on the list of entry airports, or when it might be added?

Thanks

- Tim
DFW will be added this year. I talked to the CBP guy in LAX about DFW. He said for sure this year because of the size.

I have used it once sin Jan and it got me out Immigration and Customs in approx 10mins.

Once you use the Immigration kiosk, you can skip the whole line at Customs and just walk up to the front and show the officers your reciept and they just waive you thru.

Awesome !!
Old Feb 7, 09, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, NWA Silver, UA 2P, SPG Plat
I can't speak about Global Entry but NEXUS is a godsend. I traveled to YVR weekly and it saved me a 2+ hour wait at immigration just about every time. My flight would always arrive just after half a dozen flights coming in from Asia, and the customs hall would be packed.

Also, at least at YVR, when traveling outbound you can flash your NEXUS card and use the first class line at the security checkpoint. Every so often when I returned home, the US preclearance and security area would be teeming with people on their way back from cruises, and it saved me from having to wait in those ridiculous lines.
Old Feb 11, 09, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I just found out about Global Entry. I used to have an INS Pass that I used regularly at LAX. Is this roughly the same thing? I didn't see any kiosks a few weeks ago at LAX TBT? Are they there?

My other question is about the appointments. As a full time international traveler, I have a hard time with any kind of appointment. Are they flexible if I need to change dates or times or cities? Do they do appointments at LAX?

TIA!
Old Feb 11, 09, 8:16 pm
Community Director

stimpy, the machines look at lot like the INS PASS machines. These read your passport, then check your fingerprints on both index fingers.

The GOES office is very easy to find, unlike the office when I got my INS PASS card. It's on the street side of the wall on the floor where you check in for flights at TBIT. My sense is that they'd be reasonably flexible re appointments. They only process 20 people or so a week at the LAX office.

You don't get a card for GOES. A sticker is put on the back of your passport and even it doesn't say anything about GOES. However, if the GOES machine is down, you are supposed to be able to jump to the top of the immigration line by showing that sticker.
Old Feb 11, 09, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
stimpy, the machines look at lot like the INS PASS machines. These read your passport, then check your fingerprints on both index fingers.

The GOES office is very easy to find, unlike the office when I got my INS PASS card. It's on the street side of the wall on the floor where you check in for flights at TBIT. My sense is that they'd be reasonably flexible re appointments. They only process 20 people or so a week at the LAX office.

You don't get a card for GOES. A sticker is put on the back of your passport and even it doesn't say anything about GOES. However, if the GOES machine is down, you are supposed to be able to jump to the top of the immigration line by showing that sticker.

There is no such thing as a GOES enrollment office. There is no such thing as a GOES machine/kiosk.

GOES is the online application system. GOES is not a trusted traveler program. GlobalEntry is the trusted traveler program under discussion here.
Old Feb 19, 09, 11:48 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I had an INS-pass kind of thing back in the mid-90's. AFAIK, it went away (the pilot program). It was at JFK and a few other airports; they did a palm/fingerprint scan, IIRC.

I was reading the pdf file with the instructions for applying for Global Entry, and they require you answer if you have been in a "CBP trusted traveler program" in the past. Does something from so long ago "count" as a trusted traveler program? Not sure if I can find/remember the number if it does.

TIA...
Old Feb 20, 09, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I signed up for NEXUS. I'm waiting for my interview @ YYZ in April. It seems great especially when those lines in the morning (Monday AM @ YYZ is > 1 hour) can really save you. For 50 CAD its a no brainer.

My BF just got it, and said it worked great the last time he came to the US. I'll have it soon!!!!
I guess I'll sign up for GE when I get my final approval for Nexus.
Old Feb 20, 09, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I signed up for NEXUS. I'm waiting for my interview @ YYZ in April. It seems great especially when those lines in the morning (Monday AM @ YYZ is > 1 hour) can really save you. For 50 CAD its a no brainer.

My BF just got it, and said it worked great the last time he came to the US. I'll have it soon!!!!
I guess I'll sign up for GE when I get my final approval for Nexus.
Keep in mind you won't be able to use those machines right away. It might take up to two days for your iris scans to make it into the system. So don't plan on going directly from the enrollment office right to the kiosks departing for the U.S.

Nothing in your post says that, I just wanted to give you and everyone else concerned a heads-up.
Old Feb 21, 09, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Also, if you are already a NEXUS member, then GlobalEntry membership is FREE! So, you get 2 programs for 1/3 of the cost! ($50 instead of $150)
Is GE still free for NEXUS members?
Old Feb 21, 09, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by heffa View Post
Is GE still free for NEXUS members?
As of a week ago it was. No indications it's changing. I'm having friends apply for NEXUS with plans to complete the interview, iris scan and fingerprints to apply for GE after completing enrollment.
Old Feb 21, 09, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It certainly is for those who come into the UA at IAD and get stuck having to tolerate the madness that is IAD international arrivals.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: