Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Djmanu
Does it work also with foreign passports (non US-Canada) for Canadian Permanent Residents ?
Don't know how it works for Canadian permanent residents, but for US permanent residents, you use your PR in the GE machine, not your passport. If you try to use a passport, it will give you a message that says something to the effect that records indicate you are a US permanent resident, and to use your permanent resident card. Of course, that permanent resident card must be updated with a Nexus (or GE office) so they connect it to your membership.

Of course, whether it stays connected is another issue. Wife did update everything when she became a PR, and GE was working, then it stopped for some reason. Finally had a chance to visit an office - the officer said that her card wasn't connected to her account somehow, so he did it. We'll see if it works in a couple of weeks.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by moreofless
Right now it doesn't appear I can update anything except the basic information such as my email address. As Finkface indicated, it must be because I am "Pending Review". I just hope that does not cause any issues when my application is reviewed.
I think I will just wait it out. I would assume anyone reviewing my Nexus application will find some indication I have a new passport. I'll report back what I learn as the process progresses.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:57 am

I think I will just wait it out. I would assume anyone reviewing my Nexus application will find some indication I have a new passport. I'll report back what I learn as the process progresses.
I specifically remember wondering why I didn't have that option when I was pending approval. I had made a mistake when keying in my wife's passport information and wanted to update it, but couldn't find the link people were talking about. Once approved, I had the link.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I am a US citizen. About 4 weeks ago I completed my application to renew my Nexus card. At the same time I realized my Passport was going to expire in a couple months. At that time I also mailed my application to renew my passport. Yesterday I received my new passport which expires in 2024. Now my current Nexus card and application both have my old passport associated with them. I do not see a way I can update this in GOES. Since my Nexus application is in "Pending Review" status, when it is reviewed the reviewer will see my old passport not my new one. What is the proper thing for me to do in this situation? Is there someone I can call?
I wouldn't worry about it. I actually had the same issue with my DL. I received a new one while my application was still pending and had the interview after it expired. When I arrived and gave my name, the first thing they told me that my DL was expired. I immediately handed my new one and passport to them and they said that they would update the DL info.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by xero9
I specifically remember wondering why I didn't have that option when I was pending approval.
Somewhere in my initial Nexus app there was a note that anything that whatever one submitted was frozen while they were doing background checks, and that one could make necessary updates at the interview. One could speculate as to reasons, but it's clearly intentional.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:36 pm

I just booked an interview at the Toronto temporary location at 2935 Convair Dr. Does this place have IRIS?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:32 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Press release from today:

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is replacing the existing Trusted Traveller kiosks with new generation kiosks starting mid-September, 2014, to be completed by mid-October, 2014. NEXUS members must first insert their membership card into the new kiosk and then have their irises scanned. This new process provides faster service by validating the member’s identity more quickly.

Initially, kiosks will be limited to NEXUS members only. CANPASS Air members will not have access to the kiosks at the initial launch. We will be updating the technology and we expect CANPASS Air members to have access to the kiosks in the coming months. In the interim, CANPASS Air members will be directed to the Special Services Counter to continue to receive expedited customs clearance.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...is-02-eng.html

Not sure about this, as I find it really fast with the iris scan. I'm not looking forward to having another step added unless they add more machines. In fact, on two occasions I've forgotten my NEXUS card, and was glad I didn't need to card with the machines when it scanned my irises.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:06 am

Programs: UA
Global Entry privilege

Hi,

I have been approved for NEXUS but may have to travel to the US and if I read properly use of Global Entry kiosks is allowed from the day the application is approved? No need to have activated the NEXUS card or have the card in hand? I understand that the use of NEXUS kiosks require to be in possession of the card (not to use the kiosk, but in case it is asked during a secondary check).

Thank you

F
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Absolute
Press release from today:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...is-02-eng.html

Not sure about this, as I find it really fast with the iris scan. I'm not looking forward to having another step added unless they add more machines. In fact, on two occasions I've forgotten my NEXUS card, and was glad I didn't need to card with the machines when it scanned my irises.
I've been wondering about the status of this. We were 3/4 of the way through the year and not a peep except for what they said back in February.

Yeah I'm not really sure how inserting the card first then iris scan would make it any quicker.

Looking forward to giving them a try in December. Or if someone is at YYZ and they have the new machine in the NEXUS office, maybe I'll pop in!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:22 am

Quick question about land crossing. A couple weeks ago my partner and I spent the weekend in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York. While we were gone we spent roughly $800 in total.

Upon our return we couldn't remember if we were required to fill out a TDC given that we were within the >48 hr exemption. We ultimately made an oral declaration. Today I was searching through the cbsa's website and I started wondering based on some of the wording if we actually made a mistake by not filling out a TDC (and ultimately got lucky with the agent at the border).

So basically I'm wondering, if you're under the exemption limit, is an oral declaration sufficient?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by iMedic
So basically I'm wondering, if you're under the exemption limit, is an oral declaration sufficient?
A verbal declaration is allowed regardless of being under or above the exemption limit.

Been a NEXUS member since summer 2012 and have never filled out a TDC. Don't ever plan on it either.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fiumicino
I have been approved for NEXUS but may have to travel to the US and if I read properly use of Global Entry kiosks is allowed from the day the application is approved? No need to have activated the NEXUS card or have the card in hand? I understand that the use of NEXUS kiosks require to be in possession of the card (not to use the kiosk, but in case it is asked during a secondary check).
That's correct. At my interview, the CBP officer mentioned I was approved right away and that I could use the GE kiosk the same day if I wanted to.

AFAIK, the only time CBP will be interested in the actual NEXUS card is at land/sea crossings. If you're flying and using GE, you scan your passport.

Also, see the post above your post –.the new NEXUS kiosks will require the use of the card.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by xero9
A verbal declaration is allowed regardless of being under or above the exemption limit.

Been a NEXUS member since summer 2012 and have never filled out a TDC. Don't ever plan on it either.
That's what I thought. Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:49 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Absolute
In fact, on two occasions I've forgotten my NEXUS card, and was glad I didn't need to card with the machines when it scanned my irises.
Although I have never been asked to present my NEXUS card when using the air mode, I believe the rules technically state that you are supposed to have it on you whenever you use any mode. NEXUS memberships have been revoked for hyper-technical violations before.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:44 am

I'm still waiting on my Nexus renewal. It's been 17 weeks now. The Montreal office still says no one answers the phone nor will they return calls of this type of query. What else can I do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.