Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Messages posted in the The NEXUS Information Thread between 2007 and 2019 were moved to the:

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US.
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132 and 223 (Flyer given at NEXUS interview confirming document updates to be made online; report to enrollment centre if unable to change online. - DEC 2021).

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center

Print Wikipost

The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Gold
Looking to clarify the mechanics between Nexus and Global Entry. I’m flying out of YYZ to the US tomorrow. One of the members of my party is a US citizen, and was interviewed/fully approved for NEXUS, but has not received their card yet. Their PASS ID # shows up on the website.

For the purposes of YYZ pre-clearance, can they go to the Global Entry lane? My experience is the passport is sufficient but wanted to clarify with folks here.

I’ve never been prompted for a NEXUS in the GE lane — only passport — and nowadays it’s just the picture… so I assume it’s fine?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by mzrn
Looking to clarify the mechanics between Nexus and Global Entry. I’m flying out of YYZ to the US tomorrow. One of the members of my party is a US citizen, and was interviewed/fully approved for NEXUS, but has not received their card yet. Their PASS ID # shows up on the website.

For the purposes of YYZ pre-clearance, can they go to the Global Entry lane? My experience is the passport is sufficient but wanted to clarify with folks here.

I’ve never been prompted for a NEXUS in the GE lane — only passport — and nowadays it’s just the picture… so I assume it’s fine?
Global Entry is tied to your Passport. If it is showing as fully approved online, you *should* be able to use GE at YYZ to pre clear for US entry.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 1, 2022 at 4:33 pm Reason: Correct quote
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by mzrn

Originally Posted by ramcm7
Global Entry is tied to your Passport. If it is showing as fully approved online, you *should* be able to use GE at YYZ to pre clear for US entry.
+1
The staff "line minders" (if any) look for a GE or Nexus CARD because they are visually looking for that. The actual GE machines will read your passport and determine your GE/Nexus status based on the passport presented to the machine.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Gold
Great. Thank you both!
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mnbp
+1
The staff "line minders" (if any) look for a GE or Nexus CARD because they are visually looking for that. The actual GE machines will read your passport and determine your GE/Nexus status based on the passport presented to the machine.
You can use the card to get to the NEXUS CATSA security lane, but after clearing YYZ security at US pre-clearance those without GE / NEXUS will need to go through the regular line for US CBP. Going through that special security lane can save a LT of time at YYZ.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jul 18, 2022 at 2:38 pm
Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Hey guys quick question.

Covid vaccine info doesn’t match nexus info as sister got married and last name has changed (got married and vaccines recently so new last name is in vaccine). Need vaccine proof to enter US.

will this be an issue with using nexus as ID and for entry? To get one resent with new last name will take longer than travel dates. Passport has been sent in for new last name as has been lost in limbo in canada for over 14 weeks. Brutal.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
FYI Documents update is always on a walk-in basis at every enrollment center; not just Blaine. Or put it another way, appointments are made only for interviews.
Originally Posted by txviking
Yeah, I've given up on getting my Canadian records updated for this reason. I'm actually in Alberta at the moment, but there's nothing I can do. I guess the Canadian records will just have to remain outdated until Ottawa sees fit to care about the program again.
Originally Posted by txviking
Presumably, the few NEXUS offices in the US can, but so can NEXUS offices in Canada.
I wanted to give an update to my earlier query. As a recap, I needed to update some unidentified Canadian documents which the Canadians have been complaining about for the last two years, every time I cross the border. The Canadians tell me my Nexus card is flagged for expired documents, but they don't know which one. It's definitely not my passport, which is the only thing I can update online. The Americans never complain when I enter.

I finally had the chance to go to the Nexus office in Birch Bay, near Blaine, Washington. I walked in without an appointment. They have two separate windows, one labelled for people with appointments (presumably for interviews) and the other for 'document updates'. No one was in the queue for the second window, although there were a dozen people in the waiting area and several people queuing for the first. A US officer (I presume, since he was carrying a sidearm) was sitting behind the second. I explained my situation, said that I suspected it was an issue caused by my new Canadian visa which had been renewed/changed type twice since Covid shut all offices, gave him the documents he asked for, then he went to a back area, came back after 10 minutes, and said it was all done. Originally after some notes on his computer, he passed my documents to the woman dealing with the appointments line, but she was struggling with some very slow computer systems in trying to process some admin for the people in the interview line, so he took the documents back from her and just did it himself.

I agree with all the rave google reviews of the office - both him and the woman managing the appointment line were incredibly polite and friendly and helpful, and it was one of the most pleasant interactions I've had doing transactions with government officials anywhere in the world.

Upshot, just as people in this thread have advised, Canadian non-passport document updates can be done painlessly at US Nexus centers on a walk-in basis.
seawolf and txviking like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:18 pm

Another data point: I became a US PR (green card holder) this year but my NEXUS was still linked to my old TN status ( H-1B --> PR since COVID). Retuning to the US from YYZ in May, the GE kiosk froze after my face scan and the officer at the desk just took my Green Card, photo and waved me through.

A few weeks back I was at YYC returning to the US, and finally got a CBP officer to update my documents after the kiosk failed at reading my face (I tried again after and it spat out my receipt). Should be good to go until my renewal is approved, whenever that is.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Good to know. Unfortunately, I won't be in Blaine anytime soon. There's an enrollment center in Calais, Maine, but my next return to the US will bypass that and go into Bar Harbor.

On the flip side, I haven't even used Nexus for any of my record number of crossings into Canada this summer. The crossing was only busy ONE time -- Tok, Alaska to Beaver Creek, Yukon. And they have no dedicated NEXUS lane at that crossing, so I just had to sit and wait for hours.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:36 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but are we able to do NEXUS interviews at Canadian locations?! Trying to schedule an interview for my son as his renewal was conditionally approved a year ago a this point. Currently I booked him in for Niagara in April 2023 LOL. After I booked, I realized it was Niagara Falls, NY (was late and I wasn't thinking) and while I don't mind heading down and spending the night with him in Niagara, I'd rather not go through the hassle of crossing the border solo with a younger child.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 3:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xero9
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but are we able to do NEXUS interviews at Canadian locations?! Trying to schedule an interview for my son as his renewal was conditionally approved a year ago a this point. Currently I booked him in for Niagara in April 2023 LOL. After I booked, I realized it was Niagara Falls, NY (was late and I wasn't thinking) and while I don't mind heading down and spending the night with him in Niagara, I'd rather not go through the hassle of crossing the border solo with a younger child.
All enrollment centres in Canada are closed until further notice.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 1:36 pm

Hi all. I just changed my last name, and just received my new Canadian passport reflecting my updated name.

Of course, my Nexus card has my previous name, which I will need to update.

I am planning on driving to Niagara Falls/Buffalo and walking in next Saturday. Has anyone does this before??

The earliest appointment is May 2023...and I read on one of the FT threads that walk-ins may work. If so, is this a quick process?
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by forgotmyUA
Hi all. I just changed my last name, and just received my new Canadian passport reflecting my updated name.

Of course, my Nexus card has my previous name, which I will need to update.

I am planning on driving to Niagara Falls/Buffalo and walking in next Saturday. Has anyone does this before??

The earliest appointment is May 2023...and I read on one of the FT threads that walk-ins may work. If so, is this a quick process?
I was there for a walk-in info update about 3 weeks ago and they were happy to assist. Waited about 10 minutes and then it was done.
seawolf and forgotmyUA like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Are you sure they are open on Saturdays?

The office is on the American side of the Whirlpool Bridge. They just redid their parking lot. A big improvement.

Note: to use the bridge to return to Canada, you have to load $ on your card (online, in advance) or use the machine beside the bridge entrance. Vaguely recall needing cash for the latter.

FYI, I did an update there a couple of years ago and it was easy.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Note: to use the bridge to return to Canada, you have to load $ on your card (online, in advance) or use the machine beside the bridge entrance. Vaguely recall needing cash for the latter.
Another way to pay the toll is with an E-ZPass transponder, though I suppose not many Canadians have a need for one. (Probably more common among those who frequently cross the land border in the Niagara area, as it is accepted on all three bridges.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.