Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Messages posted in the The NEXUS Information Thread between 2007 and 2019 were moved to the:

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US.
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132 and 223 (Flyer given at NEXUS interview confirming document updates to be made online; report to enrollment centre if unable to change online. - DEC 2021).

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center

Print Wikipost

The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Thanks for update re kiosks. I haven’t done a transborder departure for a few months. Have one shortly so good to know. 🤞 the previous kiosks were always problematic even when the worked so hopefully this is an improvement.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 9:08 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Thanks for update re kiosks. I haven’t done a transborder departure for a few months. Have one shortly so good to know. 🤞 the previous kiosks were always problematic even when the worked so hopefully this is an improvement.
More about the facial recognition kiosks in this thread:
Old Oct 29, 2022, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bartolo
agreed. Both the old and new GE and Nexus kiosks have their faults. The old GE ones the fingerprints were sometimes hard to register - the new like I mentioned above are tougher with our kiddos. I had trouble getting my photo to take the first time with the updated NEXUS kiosks, but eventually worked - my wife had issues getting her passport to scan properly to get the facial recognition piece working, so I think unlike me, who got it working fine the first time, she isn’t able to use the e-gates next time. Hopefully it will be sorted out next time.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
used to be the case several years ago…not anymore. Overall, process is better now with the new kiosks (not sure if they’re absolutely everywhere yet, but definitely they are at YYZ and YVR), though but if a PITA with younger kids if you are traveling with them, IME (that goes for inbound with Nexus, as well).

don’t even need your passport for the kiosk. Kiosk will now just take your photo and recognize you that way, then it either just tells you to proceed (paperless version….I think YYZ has them but can’t recall what is where anymore) or spits out a receipt…no questions on kiosk. Then you see the CBP officer in a separate, GE only line. You are supposed to declare anything verbally to the CBP officer. They may or may not ask a few questions and that’s it. Assuming no line (we didn’t have it last time), it’s literally a couple of minutes for the whole process.

I will note the kiosk is a bit of a PITA with kids - both times we’ve used the photo kiosks we haven’t been able to get it to capture our 4yo (you can adjust the camera, I later found out, to help). Our last YYZ departure, there was no one in line - the GE officer sent us to the MPC officer (also no line) to have the kiddo processed. Had to give him her passport, but were still through in <5 minutes.

per above, kiosks at YYZ have the new photo recognition software and don’t ask any questions. At least my last trip ex-YYZ about a month ago. Only the officer asks questions (if they want) and those can obviously vary. You should still be declaring anything verbally to officer, as not answering questions on the kiosk does not waive you from any duties owed, item restrictions, etc.).
Are you saying CBP officer might not ask purpose and length of visit ? For non nexus holders, I believe this is always asked.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Covidian98
Are you saying CBP officer might not ask purpose and length of visit ? For non nexus holders, I believe this is always asked.
I mean, CBP officer is going to ask what they want to ask. Old kiosks we’re programmed to ask the same questions every time - don’t know that they can program actual human officers that same way😀.

are you afraid to answer those questions? For the record, our last trip, officer knew there were only 3 of us with our photo - and simply told us to go to MPC booth to have kiddo processed. I think MPC offficer asked for kiddo passport, scanned it, asked her to take mask down, then told us to have a nice trip and waved us through. Whether that is typical to have no questions or not - given this was MPC, I have no idea. I’ve definitely, in general, had fewer questions asked since GE than before, but have been asked different things. Most commonly where I am going, how long Ive been away (I live in US) and what kind of food I have with me.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
As a Canadian, I am always asked how long I am going for and the purpose of my trip at YVR preclearance with Nexus. Occasionally, I am asked if I am taking anything that will remain in the US or if I have food, but that is infrequent.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:10 am

I mean, CBP officer is going to ask what they want to ask. Old kiosks we’re programmed to ask the same questions every time - don’t know that they can program actual human officers that same way😀.

are you afraid to answer those questions? For the record, our last trip, officer knew there were only 3 of us with our photo - and simply told us to go to MPC booth to have kiddo processed. I think MPC offficer asked for kiddo passport, scanned it, asked her to take mask down, then told us to have a nice trip and waved us through. Whether that is typical to have no questions or not - given this was MPC, I have no idea. I’ve definitely, in general, had fewer questions asked since GE than before, but have been asked different things. Most commonly where I am going, how long Ive been away (I live in US) and what kind of food I have with me.
I wouldn’t say I’m afraid, but I travel to the US for business quite a bit, and in the past I was occasionally asked if I’m going to “work” during the visit (which I believe is frowned upon) or only have meetings. I was wondering if these questions are still asked of nexus members.

I remember reading at least one article about nexus, which claimed that Canadians nexus members flying to the US only need to use the kiosk, and not talk to a CBP officer, but based on the replies here , that seems to be incorrect.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:36 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I remember reading at least one article about nexus, which claimed that Canadians nexus members flying to the US only need to use the kiosk, and not talk to a CBP officer, but based on the replies here , that seems to be incorrect.
This has changed with the implementation of Global Entry 2.0.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
Time sensitive: US citizen and Canadian PR Nexus Intvw question

I am a US Citizen who recently got Canadian PR (splitting time between both countries). Will this pose an issue during my interview? My Canadian PR came in after I applied for Nexus. How much should I say about this? Need help, interview is tomorrow AM! Thank you!
Old Oct 31, 2022, 5:26 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
I don't see why it would pose an issue; you're no less admissible to the US and more admissible to Canada (since there's no issue with you overstaying or trying to work). I recommend simply bringing your PR documentation to the interview and saying "this happened after the application so I wanted to make sure it was added in the system".
Xyzzy, tennisboy, TWA884 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
Thanks, my interview is on the US side in Blaine btw
Old Nov 1, 2022, 12:07 pm

All was good, showed them my PR, they were a little perplexed but then understood....thanks
CKDGM, Xyzzy and tuquee like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Had an issue with my Nexus (Canadian Citizen, US Green Card holder) this past weekend traveling up from EWR-YUL, was wondering if anyone had any insight.

Went to the Nexus kiosk and got an X prompting me to go to talk to the CBP officer where I showed him my canadian passport, green card, and nexus. He said that the Nexus system was flagging me as having an expired document which is why I couldn't walk straight through and needed to talk to him. None of my documents are expired which he confirmed after looking.

I had prior updated the expiry date of my Green card on my Nexus profile at ttp.dhs.gov website and it does show the updated information with new expiry date a few weeks prior

Is there another place or step that I missed to update information, or do I maybe need to go to an enrollment center to update information? I haven't used the Global Entry kiosk on my pre-clearance back from EWR-YUL just in case I get flagged once again so I am hesitant to use it.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 10, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wongbr
Had an issue with my Nexus (Canadian Citizen, US Green Card holder) this past weekend traveling up from EWR-YUL, was wondering if anyone had any insight.

Went to the Nexus kiosk and got an X prompting me to go to talk to the CBP officer where I showed him my canadian passport, green card, and nexus. He said that the Nexus system was flagging me as having an expired document which is why I couldn't walk straight through and needed to talk to him. None of my documents are expired which he confirmed after looking.

I had prior updated the expiry date of my Green card on my Nexus profile at ttp.dhs.gov website and it does show the updated information with new expiry date a few weeks prior

Is there another place or step that I missed to update information, or do I maybe need to go to an enrollment center to update information? I haven't used the Global Entry kiosk on my pre-clearance back from EWR-YUL just in case I get flagged once again so I am hesitant to use it.

Thanks in advance!
You are still supposed to update all docs at an enrollment center, I think, as the ttp website is US, and I'm not sure if the info. processes over - either a bug or more likely, on purpose (not legally able to share across government agencies from another country?). I have always, always, always been told to update my docs at an enrollment center - by the Canadian officers.

That said, not sure how it is being handled these days due to the Canadian offices still being closed, and I suspect these are the offices a majority of Nexus members use. It could just as easily been a bug?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
You are still supposed to update all docs at an enrollment center, I think, as the ttp website is US, and I'm not sure if the info. processes over - either a bug or more likely, on purpose (not legally able to share across government agencies from another country?). I have always, always, always been told to update my docs at an enrollment center - by the Canadian officers.

That said, not sure how it is being handled these days due to the Canadian offices still being closed, and I suspect these are the offices a majority of Nexus members use. It could just as easily been a bug?
I was searching through all the threads and some conflicting information say that the TTP site should technically update on both ends: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34339100-post144.html
But on the CBSA site it does mention anything related to PR information need to visit the a Nexus enrolment center https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nex...nnees-eng.html

Funny thing is, prior to updating my information I was able to go through the Nexus lane while driving and scanning the RFID with no issues so maybe it was in fact just a glitch, just worried about any potential revocations if there is actually something wrong and I took the lane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.