Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: Processing Timelines for 1st Time GE Applications by US Citizens and LPR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Archived: Processing Timelines for 1st Time GE Applications by US Citizens and LPR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by arlflyer
The officer actually used this specific example when talking to me. And the intro video shows a man's luggage being searched and found to contain apples (as an example of a violation). They must be being lobbied hard by the domestic apple industry...
The apple has long symbolized the "forbidden fruit". All the way back to the story of Adam and Eve, and including Snow White. That the CBP uses the apple as a symbol is really no surprise.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:45 am

The officer actually used this specific example when talking to me. And the intro video shows a man's luggage being searched and found to contain apples (as an example of a violation). They must be being lobbied hard by the domestic apple industry...
I think I've seen the answer to this, but now I'm not sure. If I declare that I have food, tell them it's an apple (or something else that's not allowed), and they take it away, is that considered a violation? In other words, what if I'm honest but unaware that a particular food item is not allowed?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
The apple has long symbolized the "forbidden fruit". All the way back to the story of Adam and Eve, and including Snow White. That the CBP uses the apple as a symbol is really no surprise.
Yes, I am up to speed on my mythology and archetypal symbolism...guess it is too early in the morning for humor...or maybe I touched a sore spot with that lobbying comment

Originally Posted by Rare
I think I've seen the answer to this, but now I'm not sure. If I declare that I have food, tell them it's an apple (or something else that's not allowed), and they take it away, is that considered a violation? In other words, what if I'm honest but unaware that a particular food item is not allowed?
The officer was explicit about this yesterday - if you declare, you won't get in trouble. It's the intent to conceal that is a violation. My experience with CBP is that they don't expect you to know exactly which food items are and are not allowed, and give lots of slack as long as you are honest. Concealing, by nature, is disingenuous behavior that raises a red flag.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by NameCoin
Just wanted to add another data point:

Applied: 4/1
Conditional Approval: 4/12

Although I got the approval letter, the status of my application shows that it is pending, and I am unable to make an appointment. Does anybody know what the deal is with this?

Just wanted to post an update. I contacted technical support this morning. The representative said that this is a known bug and that a fix should be out this evening.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA Plat, DL Silver, SW A-List, Emerald Club Exec
Global entry program-processing time?

Thanks! I just tried the walk-in at PHL. No dice. They said they were booked solid with appointments every 20 mins for the next several days.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA Plat, DL Silver, SW A-List, Emerald Club Exec
Global entry program-processing time?

Status is finally updated so I can schedule an interview.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:45 am

The officer was explicit about this yesterday - if you declare, you won't get in trouble. It's the intent to conceal that is a violation. My experience with CBP is that they don't expect you to know exactly which food items are and are not allowed, and give lots of slack as long as you are honest. Concealing, by nature, is disingenuous behavior that raises a red flag.
Thanks--glad to hear they're reasonable about it.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Club Gold, HHonors Gold
Applied 3/20
Conditional approval 3/30
Interview at MCO 4/16

Got there 40 minutes early and they took me right in, they did ask if I had an appointment as they were not taking walk-ins. Even had a sign that said so. Five minutes later I was leaving the airport and had the approval email in my inbox.
Was told to expect my card within 10 days.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by vitacura
Applied 3/20
Interview at MCO 4/16

Got there 40 minutes early and they took me right in, they did ask if I had an appointment as they were not taking walk-ins. Even had a sign that said so. Five minutes later I was leaving the airport and had the approval email in my inbox.
Congrats. My experience was very similar. No issues. Barely any questions. I walked out of the CBP office in less than 10 minutes. 100% with Pre-Check since then.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vitacura
Applied 3/20
Interview at MCO 4/16

Interviewed at MCO as well. They were very strict on the walk-ins as I saw them turn down about 5 in the short time I was there.

The officer I interviewed with was awesome and even helped me figure out my dad's PASSID that he had forgotten and was thus unable to get precheck. I even sent in a compliment on the officer to CBP.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: AAPlat/United1K
Processing time after interview

Wanted to post my experience.

I submitted my application through the UA program and received the Conditional Approval notice within 2 - 3 weeks. My interview was this past Friday(4/12) at SJU. I arrived 20 mins before my scheduled interview but the CBP officer was kind enough to take me in for processing since she was available. I have to say, I had one the best experiences with dealing with a CBP officer to date. She was kind, friendly and knowledgeable. I handed over my documents and was asked a few questions regarding my international trips from the past 5 years. I mentioned all as listed in the application excluding Canada since the application says travel excluding U.S.A, Mexico and Canada. We shared some laughs and talk about some general topics.

Later, she took my photo and fingerprints and showed me how the GE system works. She described everything in detail and helpful to answer all of my questions.The whole experience was a pleasant one. As she was finishing up, she told me she needs some additional checks and there shouldn't be any problem and will be approved in a day or two.

It's been a couple of days and I don't see any changes to my goes account nor did I receive any email.

I wanted to know how long does it actually takes from interview to approval email?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Internationaltraveler14
Wanted to post my experience.

I submitted my application through the UA program and received the Conditional Approval notice within 2 - 3 weeks. My interview was this past Friday(4/12) at SJU. I arrived 20 mins before my scheduled interview but the CBP officer was kind enough to take me in for processing since she was available. I have to say, I had one the best experiences with dealing with a CBP officer to date. She was kind, friendly and knowledgeable. I handed over my documents and was asked a few questions regarding my international trips from the past 5 years. I mentioned all as listed in the application excluding Canada since the application says travel excluding U.S.A, Mexico and Canada. We shared some laughs and talk about some general topics.

Later, she took my photo and fingerprints and showed me how the GE system works. She described everything in detail and helpful to answer all of my questions.The whole experience was a pleasant one. As she was finishing up, she told me she needs some additional checks and there shouldn't be any problem and will be approved in a day or two.

It's been a couple of days and I don't see any changes to my goes account nor did I receive any email.

I wanted to know how long does it actually takes from interview to approval email?
Similar situation here. I just took an interview today and it was the CBP officer was very pleasant. He asked a few basic questions and made a bit of small talk. He said that my application looked good and gave me some information about how to use Global Entry as well as TSA Pre-Check. The meeting overall lasted around twenty minutes, and I was on my way.

A lot of people mentioned that they received their approval notices almost immediately after leaving. I have not yet seen a change to my application status. Are there others whose applications took some extra time to process?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:47 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by NameCoin
A lot of people mentioned that they received their approval notices almost immediately after leaving. I have not yet seen a change to my application status. Are there others whose applications took some extra time to process?
In my case, I got the approval and status change email almost two hours from leaving the office of the CBP.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Ha.

The example I was given was KinderEggs - the chocolate eggs with a toy inside. Apparently they are banned because of the toy inside food, which is a no-no. But it's pretty obscure, unlike fruits and meats, which they quite clear say (repeatedly as you approach customs) are illegal.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:08 am

Applied 4/3
Conditional approval 4/13
Interview at JFK 4/14

The Bowling Green office seems to still be closed, otherwise I would have chosen that one for its proximity to the office.

It looked like they interview 3 people per time slot (3 officers) - the nice lady asked me half a question (the street number of my address) - she deduced my name by asking the agent next to her who he was interviewing, took my picture and fingerprints - wrote down my ID# on a piece of paper. Was out within 5 minutes, efficient and friendly service. Global entry status effective immediately.

Approval e-mail received within 6 hours. I'm a happy camper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.