Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

What Documents are Required/Acceptable for the Global Entry Interview?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Documents are Required/Acceptable for the Global Entry Interview?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Sandiego Boy
Hi, other than your passport (I am canadian) and my driver license, is there anything else I need to take to the interview?
Hi @Sandiegoboy,

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I moved your question to the relevant thread.

I'll just add that, since you are Canadian, you may be better off applying for NEXUS instead of Global Entry:
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:33 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
NYS has a list of documents needed to get a "real id drivers license", one of them is a letter addressed to you with a recent postmark = you mail yourself a letter.
[Many people have mailing addresses which differ from their physical addresses (if they use a PO BOX, say).]
Would CBP accept this if they wanted "proof" of where you reside?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:55 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
NYS has a list of documents needed to get a "real id drivers license", one of them is a letter addressed to you with a recent postmark = you mail yourself a letter.
[Many people have mailing addresses which differ from their physical addresses (if they use a PO BOX, say).]
Would CBP accept this if they wanted "proof" of where you reside?
Probably not.

I was asked to bring "Documents providing evidence of residency. Examples are a drivers license (if the address is current), mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bill, etc."

If you have a New York driver's license with your current home address, that should suffice.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:20 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
Probably not.

I was asked to bring "Documents providing evidence of residency. Examples are a drivers license (if the address is current), mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bill, etc."

If you have a New York driver's license with your current home address, that should suffice.
Except my DL (and most other things) use my PO Box.
When I first applied for GE 8 years ago, I did bring a copy of my lease and a recent rent bill, but they didn't ask for it.
I asked my initial question (above), since a few posts in this thread noted issues with "residency" and wondered whether a postmarked letter addressed to ones self would be acceptable to CBP?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
In case anyone is interested, my experience with the new system has been mixed. I was able to obtain my PASSID (and my infant son's) via email - I tried calling on Monday but had a wait of over 30 minutes with the number of people in the queue falling from 18 to 12, at which point I gave up!

Yesterday I managed to schedule same day appointments at ORD. On arriving at ORD, interview confirmation letters in hand, I was told that the interview appointment was not valid and that the new system meant that same day appointments, although they could be made on the website, were not reported to the staff. I politely expressed my disappointment and frustration and they let me wait for a walk in slot, which came up shortly afterwards.

I had brought all the documents requested in the interview confirmation - namely my UK passport with valid US visa, my driver's license (a UK license with my old UK address rather than my current US address) and my PASSID. I was surprised to be told that my driver's license was not acceptable because it did not match the address given in the application, and that I also needed to present the passport of the other country of which I am a citizen (although I would not use that passport for travel to the US as I would require a different visa, and after my current US visa in my UK passport expires it will be much more straightforward to get an ESTA for the UK passport).

Having read the FAQ on the website (I can't post the link as I don't have enough posts) it says "To see a list of documents required for the interview, log in to the TTP website, go to your Dashboard, and select the Interview Confirmation link provided." To me this implies strongly that the Interview Confirmation provides a complete listing of what to bring, but apparently it does not. Now, perhaps I should have read through the FAQ to see what is "usually required" and relied on that instead (it says proof of address is usually required, for example), but I did not.

The officer processed my application anyway and Global Entry will be granted once I provide them with the relevant documents (probably this weekend - it's not too far to travel).

The moral of the story is, don't rely on the Interview Confirmation to tell you what you need to bring, regardless of what the FAQ says - always make sure you have proof of address, and any other passports (even if you no longer travel on them). Also, be careful about making same day appointments. I hope this will make the process run more smoothly for some other applicants!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by BakerStreet81

<snip>

I had brought all the documents requested in the interview confirmation - namely my UK passport with valid US visa, my driver's license (a UK license with my old UK address rather than my current US address) and my PASSID. I was surprised to be told that my driver's license was not acceptable because it did not match the address given in the application, and that I also needed to present the passport of the other country of which I am a citizen (although I would not use that passport for travel to the US as I would require a different visa, and after my current US visa in my UK passport expires it will be much more straightforward to get an ESTA for the UK passport).

<snip>

The moral of the story is, don't rely on the Interview Confirmation to tell you what you need to bring, regardless of what the FAQ says - always make sure you have proof of address, and any other passports (even if you no longer travel on them). Also, be careful about making same day appointments. I hope this will make the process run more smoothly for some other applicants!
I believe the interview document requirements always included proof of current residency -- and that drivers license was only listed as an acceptable example if if contained your current address.

For example, here's the GOES conditional approval letter:

Documents providing evidence of residency. Examples are a drivers license (if the address is current), mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bill, etc.

And here's the current TTP FAQ:

The following original documents are usually required:

. . .

Documents providing proof of residency. Examples are: driver's license (if the address is current), mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bill,etc.

. . .
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Totally agree that the FAQ tells you what is usually required. My point was simply that the interview confirmation document itself (which the FAQ implies can be relied on for information on what to bring) does not tell you that you need proof of address - it just says you need a driver's license. You can't therefore rely on the current interview confirmation to tell you what you need to bring.

It looks like the previous version of the interview confirmation, which you linked to, was much clearer about what was required.

Of course, for most people a driver's license will be sufficient to prove address but in our circumstance, because we have moved internationally and have not needed to obtain a US license, it was not.

We were subsequently able to go to the enrollment centre with the necessary documents and receive approval, so all worked out well in the end.

Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
I believe the interview document requirements always included proof of current residency -- and that drivers license was only listed as an acceptable example if if contained your current address.

For example, here's the GOES conditional approval letter:

Documents providing evidence of residency. Examples are a drivers license (if the address is current), mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bill, etc.

And here's the current TTP FAQ:

The following original documents are usually required:

. . .

Documents providing proof of residency. Examples are: driver's license (if the address is current), mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bill,etc.

. . .
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by BakerStreet81
<snip>

It looks like the previous version of the interview confirmation, which you linked to, was much clearer about what was required.

<snip>
My conditional approval letter, which I received several years ago, was very specific that I had to bring to the interview:
Documents providing evidence of residency. Examples are a drivers license (if the address is current),mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bill, etc.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:12 am

I received Conditional Approval yesterday and immediately scheduled an interview. As a UK citizen the online interview confirmation states that I need to take the following along to the interview:
  1. UK Passport
  2. Driving Licence
  3. PASSID Number (optional)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by shonerm
I received Conditional Approval yesterday and immediately scheduled an interview. As a UK citizen the online interview confirmation states that I need to take the following along to the interview:
  1. UK Passport
  2. Driving Licence
  3. PASSID Number (optional)
Are you a resident of the UK or the US?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Are you a resident of the UK or the US?
I'm a resident of the UK.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:35 pm

Quick question: Instructions recommend taking the Naturalization Certificate(NC), in addition to DL and USP to the interview.
Whats been the experience here, esp. with the DFW airport office?

My appointment is on return from a south america trip and I want to avoid carrying NC if I can help it.

TIA
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by krisk17
Quick question: Instructions recommend taking the Naturalization Certificate(NC), in addition to DL and USP to the interview.

My appointment is on return from a south america trip and I want to avoid carrying NC if I can help it.

TIA

What's the exact wording of the instruction that you believe is recommending you bring your certificate of naturalization?

The current conditional approval letter says "birth certificate, citizenship certificate, or passport".
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by krisk17

TIA
As Newbie2FT mentioned, it should be OR not all. If you have a U.S. Passport, U.S. Naturalization Paper should not be required. In order for you to obtain a U.S. Passport, you had to show your original U.S. Naturalization paper.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
As Newbie2FT mentioned, it should be OR not all. If you have a U.S. Passport, U.S. Naturalization Paper should not be required. In order for you to obtain a U.S. Passport, you had to show your original U.S. Naturalization paper.
Thank you guys. Kind of what I thought too, till I saw this

Please bring to your interview:

• Passport - UNITED STATES (For proof of citizenship and entry into the United States)
  • Naturalization Certificate - UNITED STATES (For proof of citizenship)
  • Driver's license
  • Your Membership Number/PASSID (Recommended, not required)

on bottom of my interview schedule(online).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.