Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

What Documents are Required/Acceptable for the Global Entry Interview?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Documents are Required/Acceptable for the Global Entry Interview?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by zitsky
Umm. That seems obvious to me. Global Entry = passport.
Regardless of how obvious it may seem, it's not stated on the dashboard page. When one schedules an appointment for a renewal, no email confirmation is emailed with a list of documents to bring.

Also, given that it is possible to schedule remote interviews over Zoom, how is the whole passport thing handled then? Given that those are permitted, it's clear that no physical transfer of documents to CBP for inspection is needed.
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by techie
Regardless of how obvious it may seem, it's not stated on the dashboard page. When one schedules an appointment for a renewal, no email confirmation is emailed with a list of documents to bring.

Also, given that it is possible to schedule remote interviews over Zoom, how is the whole passport thing handled then? Given that those are permitted, it's clear that no physical transfer of documents to CBP for inspection is needed.
This is YMMV. In Zoom interviews, they request to show your passport page to the camera, OR the green card, but it may be agent specific.

I think the main function of the driver's license is to show something with your name and the address on it. If you don't have it or if it has a different one, you need a document with your address on it. Otherwise the interview is a no go and will be cancelled.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by nk15
This is YMMV. In Zoom interviews, they request to show your passport page to the camera, OR the green card, but it may be agent specific.

I think the main function of the driver's license is to show something with your name and the address on it. If you don't have it or if it has a different one, you need a document with your address on it. Otherwise the interview is a no go and will be cancelled.
The point remains that they do not need physical custody of any document, whether it is one proving identity or address, in order to conduct an interview for a renewal. That much is clear, so they shouldn't mandate it for an in-person interview either. My DL has my GE address on it and I had my GC with me, which I have to carry by law with me at all times and not in the least when in presence of agents of federal government, so the whole "I need your passport" is nonsense. The agents were even adamant that the website shows that you need to bring a passport -- which it may very well do for a new application and I still have my original invitation letter from when I first applied over 5 years ago listing out what to bring -- but it doesn't do so for a renewal. For a renewal, you get an email to say your application has had a status change, but that's it. And when an interview is scheduled, no email goes out to confirm and tell you what documents to bring (which is another thing agents were telling me should have happened). Feels like those agents in Miami are more used to new applicants than renewals and have single-threaded, blinkers on, approach to serving their customers.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
Quick question, apologies if it’s been asked elsewhere.

My father just received his immigrant visa and I’m wondering if I can start applying for GE as soon as he enters, even if he doesn’t have his physical GC yet.

I understand that you need to show the physical GC at the interview but is there any reason not to start an application now given that I already have his A# and schedule the interview once the GC arrives in the mail?
Old Apr 16, 2021, 9:27 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

This is an informational forum. Members come to this thread in search of practical information and advice about which documents are required or necessary to be brought to a Global Entry enrollment interview.

If you wish to debate, commnet, opine or complain about which documents are required to be shown in a Global Entry renewal interview, please start a thread in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum, which is the place to discuss what the requirements should be.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 22, 2021, 11:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
I'm guessing I am thinking to far into this but do they care if the addressed mail has a post mark on it? Most of my bills, brokerage statements, mortgage etc that come by mail are all presorted and not hand cancelled. I know in my state if you use a letter to prove address for the DMV is has to have a postmark. I usually just use my car registration, my insurance card, my DL, my checkbook etc but one time I tried to use a letter I had in the car and they didn't take it due to no post mark. I just want to be prepared because my passport has First Name, Middle Name, Last Name. My DL has First Initial, Middle name, Last name. (and in my day to day life I go back Middle name, Last name) I have mail in each name but none have been cancelled by the PO. edited to add had my interview today and he never even asked for proof (other than passport and DL)

Last edited by kklems; Jun 2, 2021 at 8:08 pm
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Have an interview coming up in November for first renewal. Website says I need to bring documentation for my submitted info. For all countries I have been to in the last 5 years item, would a list be sufficient, or is there a need for additional documentation? Hoping for the former, as that list is around 50.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The list should already be submitted - you added all the countries in when you did the renewal form. I don’t remember being asked to produce evidence of any countries visited, but surely your passport and the stamps in it should suffice.

In terms of documentation it’s really just standard stuff I would get together, so proof of address etc.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Have an interview coming up in November for first renewal. Website says I need to bring documentation for my submitted info. For all countries I have been to in the last 5 years item, would a list be sufficient, or is there a need for additional documentation? Hoping for the former, as that list is around 50.
Note the difference between documentation and information: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US
Old Oct 16, 2022, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Since your question is not particular to the renewal process, I moved it to the relevant thread.

You may find additional relevant information in the following thread:TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 27, 2023, 5:31 am

Proof of address

I’m hoping to EoA in a couple weeks. I’m a dual citizen living outside the U.S. and I see that at the interview, you’re required to present
​​​Documents providing proof of residency. Examples are: driver's license (if the address is current), mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bill, etc.​​​​
I have a couple questions, if anyone happens to know the answers:

Do applicable documents need to be hard copies, or can I present them on my phone/email them? Are they taking them and doing anything with them (scanning etc.) or is it just a question of the officer being satisfied and ticking the “address verified” box?

In the time since submitting my application my address and employer have changed. I understand you just mention that at the interview and they update it in the system. Would proof of address be required for the address on the application, the newly updated address, or both?

And when it comes to the documentation, how far does that etc. go? I’m assuming the documents need to be in English (or at least Latin characters), which is a challenge as that’s not the case when it comes to official documents, statements, bills, etc. here, and I don’t know how strict they are/what’s considered sufficient.

A few things I can think of:
  • If the old address is applicable, I have a U.S. Treasury check (from one of the COVID-19 EIPs) that I received in the mail
  • My tax returns and FBARs list my addresses in English
  • I have a brokerage account with my new/current address listed on the 1099 and periodic statements
  • I received a letter from my bank last year informing me that as I’m a U.S. Person according to their records my information is being provided under FATCA, the letter isn’t in English but does list my name and current address in English
Would any of these be enough?
Old Jul 27, 2023, 7:17 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by michab
I’m hoping to EoA in a couple weeks. I’m a dual citizen living outside the U.S. and I see that at the interview, you’re required to present

I have a couple questions, if anyone happens to know the answers:

Do applicable documents need to be hard copies, or can I present them on my phone/email them? Are they taking them and doing anything with them (scanning etc.) or is it just a question of the officer being satisfied and ticking the “address verified” box?

In the time since submitting my application my address and employer have changed. I understand you just mention that at the interview and they update it in the system. Would proof of address be required for the address on the application, the newly updated address, or both?

And when it comes to the documentation, how far does that etc. go? I’m assuming the documents need to be in English (or at least Latin characters), which is a challenge as that’s not the case when it comes to official documents, statements, bills, etc. here, and I don’t know how strict they are/what’s considered sufficient.

A few things I can think of:
  • If the old address is applicable, I have a U.S. Treasury check (from one of the COVID-19 EIPs) that I received in the mail
  • My tax returns and FBARs list my addresses in English
  • I have a brokerage account with my new/current address listed on the 1099 and periodic statements
  • I received a letter from my bank last year informing me that as I’m a U.S. Person according to their records my information is being provided under FATCA, the letter isn’t in English but does list my name and current address in English
Would any of these be enough?
The docs you list should work fine but I am not 100% sure. It is however unlikely that they'll ask for anything else other than your primary passport (and green card for me) as was the case for me and my family members.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:27 am

Ah, I see my message was migrated - thanks, didn’t realize there was a dedicated thread for this. maninblack Do you know if what you mentioned about not actually needing documentation is still the case? And would that be true across the board as a matter of policy, as opposed to being up to the officer’s mood that day? The CBP EoA page does seem to indicate the documents are required even in the case of EoA.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by michab
Ah, I see my message was migrated - thanks, didn’t realize there was a dedicated thread for this. maninblack Do you know if what you mentioned about not actually needing documentation is still the case? And would that be true across the board as a matter of policy, as opposed to being up to the officer’s mood that day? The CBP EoA page does seem to indicate the documents are required even in the case of EoA.
The requirement have changed since maninblack posted his response.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
The requirement have changed since maninblack posted his response.
Okay, thanks. Looking at the Internet Archive it seems that as of the closest snapshot before the date of his message the site did list the same requirements as currently (though in older snapshots it indicated that it wasn’t required) so I was wondering whether there was just a time lag in the updated instructions being passed down to the field or whether the requirements in practice differed from the stated ones.

So I guess it’s back to hoping someone has some insight regarding my original message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.