Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by computerninja
What made me bummed out here was that the criminal offense was marijuana possession from back in May of 1995. NOT a felony. I also did not falsify my application. I should have, at that time, written the ombudsman, but based on the denial letter, I felt like it was a dead end. And on top of that, I was pretty upset that from May 2017 to September (when I had my interview), they had time to vet. Why did they invite me for an interview in the first place?
It is clear from the discussion in the Global Entry With Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Convictions and Global Entry denial for failure to disclose expunged or old convictions threads, that all arrests and convictions, whether felonies or misdemanors, must be disclosed on Global Entry applications.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: United 1K
Has anyone hired an attorney to appeal a denial? Do you think that the attorney provided significant value added over a self drafted letter to the ombudsmens office? How much did it cost?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer
Has anyone hired an attorney to appeal a denial? Do you think that the attorney provided significant value added over a self drafted letter to the ombudsmens office? How much did it cost?
Not going to succeed.

For starter - to know the chance, a denied applicant has to know what CBP actually has against the applicant. They are both exempted from FOIA/PA and restricted from discovery.

In other word - you are trying to fight when you know nothing about the situation.

Ombudsman's Office is your best and only bet.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by garykung

Ombudsman's Office is your best and only bet.
I should have been more clear in my post. Has anyone hired an attorney to assist with an ombudsman appeal?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Please be reminded this is for questions/ concerns on TTP

Please refrain from snark or otherwise snarky remarks on posters legitimate questions. Thanks for your cooperation.

squeakr
co mod TS/S
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:57 pm
Suspended

...For starter - to know the chance, a denied applicant has to know what CBP actually has against the applicant. They are both exempted from FOIA/PA and restricted from discovery.

In other word - you are trying to fight when you know nothing about the situation.
I used a lawyer he FOI'd CBP and obtained my records for this exact purpose-- what's the reference you make to CBP not having to comply with FOI requests?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I used a lawyer he FOI'd CBP and obtained my records for this exact purpose-- what's the reference you make to CBP not having to comply with FOI requests?
I believe you have misread what I have said.

I did not say CBP needs not to comply a FOI request. I said certain information is exempted from disclosure under (b)(7).

If you have read your FOI response from CBP, have you seen any "(b)(7)"?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:03 pm
Suspended

I believe you have misread what I have said.
I suppose that’s one way of looking at it.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:07 pm

I filed a FOIA request. The reply was that no records could be located. The reply did not make any reference to FOIA exemptions or state that were no releasable records could be located.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:54 am

Global entry denied

Recently had an interview in the Seattle center. Got denied for following reason. Any recommendations ?

You are ineligible for the Global Entry Program for the following reason(s): Marijuana use. Under the Controlled
Substance Act possession and use of marijuana is illegal.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Unless they have confused you for someone else with the same name there is nothing you can do,

Did you admit to it or did they find out during their processes?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by therani.arch
Any recommendations ?
Simply forget it.

It is a Schedule I controlled substance. Even you may not be convicted by the U.S. District Court, but state court, possession of a controlled substance without proper reasons is still a federal offense. Unless it get delisted from the Schedules totally (which means never), it is impossible for you to get GE.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Unless they have confused you for someone else with the same name there is nothing you can do,

Did you admit to it or did they find out during their processes?
I did admit it but can I write to the CBP Ombudsman telling that I used it outside US ?

Simply forget it.

It is a Schedule I controlled substance. Even you may not be convicted by the U.S. District Court, but state court, possession of a controlled substance without proper reasons is still a federal offense. Unless it get delisted from the Schedules totally (which means never), it is impossible for you to get GE.

Can I write to the CBP Ombudsman telling that I used it outside US ?

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 23, 2018 at 2:01 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
You'd be better off writing to Father Christmas for the good it will do I imagine. I doubt they will discriminate as to whether it was in or outside of the US, or whether you inhaled.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You'd be better off writing to Father Christmas for the good it will do I imagine. I doubt they will discriminate as to whether it was in or outside of the US, or whether you inhaled.
Lol, but seriously since this is a federal offense, doing it outside the US shouldn't matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.