Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:41 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EleanorMcDaniel
I was caught bringing an undeclared item into USA a little more than two years ago. Paid a very large fine and both my GlobalEntry and PreCheck were revoked.

For the first 18 months or so, I would get torn apart every time I entered the USA. "Empty your pockets, etc..." I understood why. Guilty as charged.

The last six months or so, I would go to the kiosk, state nothing to declare, and sailed right through without inspection. So I guess I may have fallen off the black list.

Two weeks ago, I flew with my spouse who has GE and PreCheck, and somehow I got precheck too. Wow, that was nice.

So I applied for PreCheck again, went to my local airport and gave my fingerprints.

Was approved two days later with a new, different KTN.

Don't quite have the guts to reapply for Global Entry, but maybe I should....? What do you think?
First question: do you have a credit card which reimburses the $100 fee? If no I'd personally wouldn't take the "gamble"; if yes go for it.
Second question: do you do lots of intl. travel? Also CBP has an app which can help speed you through the CBP when you return to the USA--this may be sufficient(?)
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Don't quite have the guts to reapply for Global Entry, but maybe I should....? What do you think?
You have a record. It was not too long ago. Don't bother unless you have spare money.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was caught bringing an undeclared item into USA a little more than two years ago. Paid a very large fine and both my GlobalEntry and PreCheck were revoked.

For the first 18 months or so, I would get torn apart every time I entered the USA. "Empty your pockets, etc..." I understood why. Guilty as charged.

The last six months or so, I would go to the kiosk, state nothing to declare, and sailed right through without inspection. So I guess I may have fallen off the black list.

Two weeks ago, I flew with my spouse who has GE and PreCheck, and somehow I got precheck too. Wow, that was nice.

So I applied for PreCheck again, went to my local airport and gave my fingerprints.

Was approved two days later with a new, different KTN.

Very large fine = you're not trustworthy, forget about GE.

Pre-Check is a different issue--while they don't trust you not to smuggle they don't think you're a terrorist.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:35 pm

Good afternoon,

Well, my boyfriend finally got his FOIA and this is what it said:

This is a final response to your Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). You were denied the program because of a 2014 short form seizure of cigarettes, however, you should consider to file a reconsideration request to the Ombudsman as it appears it was an abandoment by you. We conducted a comprehensive search of files within the CBP databases for records that would be responsive to your request. Unfortunately, we were unable to locate or identify any responsive records, based upon the information you provided in your request.

Questions:
1. Is there a time limit from the date he was denied GE until he can send in another reconsideration? His GE denial was July 2019
2. If he's past the time limit for another reconsideration (this will be his 2nd); does it look at least promising to reapply for his GE again?
3. What's the timeline now with getting a GE with all of the shut-downs and such?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
This is what I said 6 months ago. And I will say this once again.

You have a record. Don't bother unless you have spare money.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by garykung

I believe your reply was to another person who had a 'hefty fine' (or the sorts) ...

The letter stated to consider filing a reconsideration with the Ombudsman which is why I was asking the above questions
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald

Requests to the ombudsman for reconsideration do not incur additional fees.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Requests to the ombudsman for reconsideration do not incur additional fees.
Sorry about not being clear. The problem I see is the GE in question should have been expired. So I am not sure that the Ombudsman will take up the reconsideration. Of course I could be wrong about this.

Given it has been expired, then OP can simply apply for a new one without reconsideration if that "seizure" does not apply OP. That's where my OP comes in.

Bottom line - OP is free to do anything. But I would not simply have the hope up for anything at all.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 6:03 pm

Sorry about not being clear. The problem I see is the GE in question should have been expired. So I am not sure that the Ombudsman will take up the reconsideration. Of course I could be wrong about this.

Given it has been expired, then OP can simply apply for a new one without reconsideration if that "seizure" does not apply OP. That's where my OP comes in.

Bottom line - OP is free to do anything. But I would not simply have the hope up for anything at all.
Went back and found old emails - the reconsideration request was 11/15/19 and they say to allow 6 months and with the shut-down, I'm sure they are behind ... so, hoping that it's not expired as we are still awaiting the Ombudsman's response.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Simply follow the instructions contained in the FOIA response. Someone at DHS went out of their way to make a suggestion and you should do exactly what is suggested.

Include a copy of the FOIA response with your submission.
GUWonder, TWA884 and 747FC like this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: EY
Do the reconsideration and attach the FOIA copy. Or at least mention it was an abandonment with every detail of the encounter you recall and your history since then.
GUWonder and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by xobile
Do the reconsideration and attach the FOIA copy. Or at least mention it was an abandonment with every detail of the encounter you recall and your history since then.
Thankfully, I had him call CBP before doing anything --- so, apparently, even though he has a screen shot of when he submitted his reconsideration of 11/15/19, it didn't go through - so, he wrote as much detail that he could in the small limited # of characters box stating that on the recommendation of FOIA, he is requesting reconsideration - he proceeded to give a summary of what happened and of course attached the FOIA letter ... CBP said that reconsideration requests are averaging 3-5 months. Fingers crossed & I'll update when I know something ...

Thank you to all that helped

Last edited by mcarney64; Jul 9, 2020 at 6:15 am
Old Jun 27, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by mcarney64
Thankfully, I had him call CBP before doing anything --- so, apparently, even though he has a screen shot of when he submitted his reconsideration of 11/15/19, it didn't go through - so, he wrote as much detail that he could in the small limited # of characters box stating that on the recommendation of FOIA, he is requesting reconsideration - he proceeded to give a summary of what happened and of course attached the FOIA letter ... CBP said that reconsideration requests are averaging 3-5 months. Fingers crossed & I'll update when I know something ...

I did get an approved reconsideration if you search my name above. And that was with a real, though accidental violation. Coupled with 7 subsequent years of issue free travel and pointing out that I travel with my previously cleared spouse all the time, helped get me approved. It took 8 months though.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by xobile
I did get an approved reconsideration if you search my name above. And that was with a real, though accidental violation. Coupled with 7 subsequent years of issue free travel and pointing out that I travel with my previously cleared spouse all the time, helped get me approved. It took 8 months though.
Wow ... much more worse things out there that should be stopped or denied for ... not a honest mistake or someone being sold items and told no issues and willing to pay duty getting flagged... oh welll - hoping we hear back in 3-5 months ... 8 months would still work, but my anxiety level will be rising - we are flying to London next June.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by mcarney64

UPDATE!!!!!
Reconsideration submitted on 06/26/20
CA approval received on 07/09/20

Now the process of waiting for interview locations to start back up.

Thank you all for your help, guidance and support during this long journey
747FC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.