Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Old Sep 19, 2023, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
According to the CBP website, appeals must be submitted to the ombudsman through the TTP website:
Yes, except I don't see any way to do that. The only thing I can see on my dashboard is my current GE membership details.

The closest thing that I can do on the TTP website is "Ask a Question" and choosing "Denied/Revoked/Cancelled/Suspended" as the applicable issue.

EDIT: Anyways, I think I figured out why I was deemed ineligible. I didn't input a visa in my application, and I never used ESTA.... Good thing I have a second credit card that can give me the GE credits.

Last edited by wh333; Sep 19, 2023 at 7:01 pm Reason: Figured out why I was denied.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
You can also email the Ombudsman at [email protected].
SPN Lifer and 1KChinito like this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 3:20 am

Hello all.

Iíve recently applied for GE and was denied after my interview

I did include arrest information for a DUI I had in 2005 but Iím guessing now they wanted all tickets and arrests from my record.

I havenít been arrested for over ten years at this point but I suppose itís my fault for not including everything.

Many of my arrests were traffic related and Iíve never been charged with a felony.

The reason for denial was ďyou have been convicted and/or arrested for a criminal offense misdemeanor conviction within five years from date of interview and/or two or more misdemeanor and/or a felony conviction. Applicant fails to meet strict standards.Ē

Should I request for reconsideration or is it a lost cause?

Would it be worth it to contact an attorney?

I want to appeal or apply for reconsideration but I want to give myself the best odds.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 7:36 am

Hey guys, I am looking for guidance before responding to the Ombudsman for reconsideration but have nothing to attach on the appeal request except a letter saying I am not certain what has happened but feel I am in the clear.
  • Denied GE Renewal
    • Was a GE member from December 2011-2021. Missed renewal window but somehow still able to apply for renewal in February 2022.
    • Took a year + but received notice last week and was denied for "OTHER - due to prior Customs or Agriculture violation(s)"
    • Travelled abroad 20+ times within that 10 year period and used the GE kiosks with ease upon returning. Never received any violations or got pulled aside. Never dealt in AG or brought in related items, or any items at all TBH.
    • I am starting to travel domestically and abroad considerably over the next several years and want to get to the bottom of this but seeking best practices and next steps to get this resolved.
    • My wife just became a legal U.S. Citizen in July, got approved for GE, and has used it once already with no issues.
    • The only thing I think of is that I used a car exporting business to ship some vehichles overseas and wonder if they screwed something up with Customs. I called them and they said no issues, and we both never received any violation notice(s).
Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by TSAmakesmylifeharder
[*]The only thing I think of is that I used a car exporting business to ship some vehichles overseas and wonder if they screwed something up with Customs. I called them and they said no issues, and we both never received any violation notice(s). [/list][/list]Thanks!

This post from early in the thread, it might be similar to your issue.

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Back story published above back in December, but here's a summary of what has occurred:

1. Applied for my G.E. renewal in November, was inexplicably denied, reason stating "Previous Customs Violation". (Of which I was unaware I had one).
2. Filed a FoIA request, was shocked at the reply, "Due to law enforcement sensitive information, we are unable to disclose specific information regarding your denial. Any responsive records have been withheld, pursuant to Title 5 U.S.C. ß 552 and have applied the appropriate exemptions, b(7)(E)."
3. I still had no idea why I was declined and nervous as can be, "What the heck did I do (more like what did they think I did????)".
4. Filed via the Ombudsman for a review of my application.
5. Had lots of domestic travel in December and beyond, so I applied for stand-alone PreCheck--wasn't waiting around for however long this process took without PreCheck. Was approved quickly without an issue.
6. Received conditional approval about a month ago and had my interview last week.
7. Had my full approval e-mail waiting in my inbox by the time I got back to my office.

Officer asked me in my interview, "Have you ever had a Customs violation, either in the USA or in a foreign country?". I replied that I know I have not in a foreign country, but I just don't know about the US and specifically addressed the above situation. Turns out, the privately-held corporation I work for, of which I am NOT a shareholder, imports from Asia. We bring in container after container after container (off topic: don't get me started on the supply chain issues!)...Anyway, about a year ago the company had an innocent-enough Customs violation--our first in probably a decade. It was proven unintentional, we showed we acted in good faith, did NOT get fined by Customs, but lost the product to seizure (which probably happens hundreds of times a day at various ports across the US). To put it into perspective, we've brought in probably 2,500 different line items in the last decade alone, in wholesale quantities and had one violation--it's like driving--if a cop follows you long enough, you're going to commit an offense and get pulled over. I'm not poo-pooing it off, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal (at least until now, LOL). Because I'm the point of contact for Customs within our company, it apparently went into some sort of 'file' on me, would be my guess.

The officer was quite sympathetic and even said "That doesn't seem right" and was going to look deeper into it (but I don't expect a response)...And again, I had my full approval an hour after my interview. While all's well that ends well, this is kind of BS as far as I'm concerned.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
This post from early in the thread, it might be similar to your issue.
didn't make any sense. maybe clarify? your precheck was easily approved you said but you also said conditional and final approval and didn't mention GE application. So are you saying your GE was approved in the end ?
Old Dec 27, 2023, 5:28 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by Blueheaven
didn't make any sense. maybe clarify? your precheck was easily approved you said but you also said conditional and final approval and didn't mention GE application. So are you saying your GE was approved in the end ?
What was difficult to understand about it? Somehow OP got listed for a violation but it wasnít their fault and ultimately got approved for GE after an appeal. Precheck alone is a separate system that just looks security aspects not customs, and GE is more all encompassing and includes Precheck
Old Dec 27, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by xobile
Somehow OP got listed for a violation but it wasn’t their fault and ultimately got approved for GE after an appeal.
Without further information, my guess is that there is some record due to the car exports. You can have potential issues if you are listed as the importer or exporter of record.

There was another case about six years ago where a guy had bought a suitcase off of Amazon that turned out to be counterfeit and was seized at customs. The individual's order was cancelled, he was refunded his money, and he simply went to the store to buy the same product locally. He had no knowledge of what happened and didn't think anything of it until his Global Entry renewal where he was denied.

The best path forward is appealing the denial with the ombudsman.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:19 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Majuki
Without further information, my guess is that there is some record due to the car exports. You can have potential issues if you are listed as the importer or exporter of record.

The best path forward is appealing the denial with the ombudsman.
Iím the OP that had the story mirroring our latest denial. Agree with both of this. I told TSAMakesMyLifeHarder in a PM:

Thereís not a lot of advice I can give you other than following the process via the ombudsman. It all worked out for me in the end, as you can see by my story in the post. It was just a pain in the butt, it felt a little bit intrusive, and it put me on the defensiveÖ
SPN Lifer and Majuki like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 7:32 am

By the way, you don't FOIA your OWN information from the feds, you make a Privacy Act request (though most agencies route them to the same desk).
SPN Lifer and pudgym29 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 2:47 am

Yes that may be it. I deal in vehicles on the side domestically and internationally. However, if I am "exporting" I technically do not export them. I sell them to a company who goes through the process as the new owner and sends them to dealerships all over the world. My guess is because I have done volume over the past several years, paperwork may have been unintentionally mishandled along the way on one or possibly even more. I have no way of knowing.

Wondering if it is best to appeal for reconsideration online where I have the option, or better to stop in the office at the airport on my next international return flight.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 11:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by Stocks_n_Socks
Hello all.

Iíve recently applied for GE and was denied after my interview

I did include arrest information for a DUI I had in 2005 but Iím guessing now they wanted all tickets and arrests from my record.

I havenít been arrested for over ten years at this point but I suppose itís my fault for not including everything.

Many of my arrests were traffic related and Iíve never been charged with a felony.

The reason for denial was ďyou have been convicted and/or arrested for a criminal offense misdemeanor conviction within five years from date of interview and/or two or more misdemeanor and/or a felony conviction. Applicant fails to meet strict standards.Ē

Should I request for reconsideration or is it a lost cause?

Would it be worth it to contact an attorney?

I want to appeal or apply for reconsideration but I want to give myself the best odds.
You said "many of my arrests". Assuming there was more than one conviction, you're probably out of luck. My understanding is that they will allow 1 misdemeanor if it's more than ten years old and no felonies.
Stocks_n_Socks likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 5:53 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by TSAmakesmylifeharder
Yes that may be it. I deal in vehicles on the side domestically and internationally. However, if I am "exporting" I technically do not export them. I sell them to a company who goes through the process as the new owner and sends them to dealerships all over the world. My guess is because I have done volume over the past several years, paperwork may have been unintentionally mishandled along the way on one or possibly even more. I have no way of knowing.

Wondering if it is best to appeal for reconsideration online where I have the option, or better to stop in the office at the airport on my next international return flight.
how many misdemeanors were you convicted of?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
I've just seen on a blog that a GAO report has found that CBP were not including recourse information on denial/ revocation letters. Their recommendation to fix this error was accepted: https://yourmileagemayvary.com/2024/...ms-applicants/

Hope this helps (couldn't see it reported elsewhere on FT).
SPN Lifer, 747FC and birdy24 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:24 pm

Denied based on employment-cannabis employer in legal state? Can Ombudsman help?

Is there any chance for my husband who works at a legal Cannabis kitchen in a cannabis legal state for Global entry approval? Should he bother writing to the Ombudsman address and try to get a reconsideration? Or is it useless? Would he be able to get TSA precheck?

thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.