Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by miadukes
Had my first SSSS on my boarding pass couple weeks ago traveling MAD-MIA. It was a roundtrip ticket on AA as follows MIA-MAD-MIA. Only got it on the return. Had to problems with GE once back but in Madrid had to make an extra line once I got to the gate and they basically swabbed all of my electronics, me my bags etc. They said it was totally a random percentage of the plane they select. I thought maybe because its my second trip to Madrid in about 2 months and I don't use my US passport once I arrive, I typically use my EU passport for entry and exit in Madrid and then my US passport for checking in and for GE once back on US soil.

Hopefully this is not a reoccurring theme. I don't have any more flights planned until April and that is to Grand Cayman, let's hope i don't get SSSS again. What are the odds this is recurring?
Most likely random but no way to predict if it will be recurring. Got my one and only SSSS Paris to Atlanta a year plus ago and nothing since. All you can do is fly and see what happens.
miadukes likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Had my first SSSS flying TXL-FRA-SFO a few weeks ago. Thought it was random until I got it again this past weekend flying the same route. Both were the second half of roundtrip travel -- no issues on the outbound on either trip.

I have Global Entry, and in both instances my Trusted Traveler number was removed from the reservation, meaning I didn't have PreCheck when getting back to the US for my connection there.

Odd. I have some more international travel coming up this spring and really hope this doesn't continue...
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GBadger
Had my first SSSS flying TXL-FRA-SFO a few weeks ago. Thought it was random until I got it again this past weekend flying the same route. Both were the second half of roundtrip travel -- no issues on the outbound on either trip.

I have Global Entry, and in both instances my Trusted Traveler number was removed from the reservation, meaning I didn't have PreCheck when getting back to the US for my connection there.

Odd. I have some more international travel coming up this spring and really hope this doesn't continue...
In such situations, there are two parties who are probably responsible in whole or in part for such outcome: US DHS or the airline/airline security contractor. When the airline security contractor software/personnel are involved, this can happen back to back and is most often not random. But it can also happen back to back and more when it's due to US DHS and also not be random. I personally wouldn't suggest worrying about it. It tends to drop-off in frequency or entirely after enough flights as long as you're able to do OLCI for US-domestic flights without issue.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:08 am
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: M&M Senator
I have had GE for at least 8 years. During that period all was hunky dory. Until now.

In the last six months I have received the SSSS for my FRA connection 2 out of 3 times. I am flying into and out of the same EU member nation airport. I am not travelling outside the EU.

The first time the check was reasonable. This last time it was horrendous. To be clear I only travel with carryon luggage. I pack my clothing in clear plastic bags and there was nothing stiff, rigid, bulky, or hard in there. Yet the prison matron zipped each bag open and felt each item. I wanted to ask if she got off on colored underwear. Then she proceeded to do the same with my clear toiletries case, pawing through everything - even though nothing was over 3 oz. and there were no powders. She then proceeded to take each shoe and inspect it inside and mash it around, twisting it every way. She also did this to the shoes I was wearing. After that she physically palpated and swabbed me.

Now, did I tell you that she never put on clean gloves when she started with my luggage? So you may understand why I am throwing out the toothbrush that she inspected with the gloved hands that had just finished mashing the soles of the previous traveller's shoes.

And yes, my Known Traveler number was entered into the reservation.
samosa likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by Gamerska

Now, did I tell you that she never put on clean gloves when she started with my luggage? So you may understand why I am throwing out the toothbrush that she inspected with the gloved hands that had just finished mashing the soles of the previous traveller's shoes.
Interesting, as they need to use new gloves in order to then swab the gloves and test the swab in the itemizer.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:24 pm

one guaranteed way to get SSSS is to book one way tickets to Turkey. I did this 2 years ago when i went on a trip to Turkey and India. I had purchased different one ways from IAH to IST, then on to India and eventually back to IAH via Newark. My wife and I along with our 16 year old daughter got the dreaded SSSS. My two younger kids were unaffected. My connection back from EWR to IAH was my first SSSS which almost caused me to miss the connection. I had SSSS for about 4 months afterwards. This was a miserable experience when travelling with kids. I finally applied for a redress number which cleared it up. FYI all of us are Global Entry which doesn't seem to matter. I will say that the redress system works great. But best to avoid one way flights to Turkey if possible. I believe they are trying to screen for ISIS.
samosa likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by imohiudd
one guaranteed way to get SSSS is to book one way tickets to Turkey.
Probably not a 100% guarantee, but I can personally confirm that as of yesterday this is still going on. One way tickets from to and from IST, both purchased within two weeks of departure = SSSS and soft secondary on arrival.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold
GE member since January of ‘18. Flown 40-50 domestic segments since and had no issues receiving pre check on any of them.

That said, since then, three of my four international trips have had SSSS portions, all on the return leg from Europe.

First was LHR-PHL-BOS on AA (one-way award ticket).

Second was OSL-LHR-BOS on BA (Multi-City ticket but all on same PNR-First part was BOS-MAD-ARN)

Third, today, was MXP-BCN-BOS on Vueling/Iberia (one way ticket as I used an AA award on the outbound DFW-LHR-MXP).

The only returning international leg I haven’t been SSSS’d on since getting GE was a PVR-DTW-BOS trip on Delta.

After reading through this thread, I’m thinking that my issues are largely because of my one-ways and odd itineraries. Problem is, all of my international travel at this time is for pleasure and I use my miles from domestic business travel to “cash-in.” Hence, I often only have enough miles for a one-way and am forced to buy a one-way. Oh well-first world problems.

Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BOSishome
GE member since January of ‘18. Flown 40-50 domestic segments since and had no issues receiving pre check on any of them.

That said, since then, three of my four international trips have had SSSS portions, all on the return leg from Europe.

First was LHR-PHL-BOS on AA (one-way award ticket).

Second was OSL-LHR-BOS on BA (Multi-City ticket but all on same PNR-First part was BOS-MAD-ARN)

Third, today, was MXP-BCN-BOS on Vueling/Iberia (one way ticket as I used an AA award on the outbound DFW-LHR-MXP).

The only returning international leg I haven’t been SSSS’d on since getting GE was a PVR-DTW-BOS trip on Delta.

After reading through this thread, I’m thinking that my issues are largely because of my one-ways and odd itineraries. Problem is, all of my international travel at this time is for pleasure and I use my miles from domestic business travel to “cash-in.” Hence, I often only have enough miles for a one-way and am forced to buy a one-way. Oh well-first world problems.

Yep, it's driven by all the one-ways. Of note, the system each carrier uses to determine SSSS allocations only considers that carrier's flights on your booking - so flying IB on the outbound means that BA's system thinks that you were on a one-way OSL-BOS.

The silver lining is that SSSS from international stations usually isn't too huge of an inconvenience.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Yep, it's driven by all the one-ways. Of note, the system each carrier uses to determine SSSS allocations only considers that carrier's flights on your booking - so flying IB on the outbound means that BA's system thinks that you were on a one-way OSL-BOS.

The silver lining is that SSSS from international stations usually isn't too huge of an inconvenience.
This isn't correct. The system looks at what is in the PNR in their system. However most times that PNR will list all legs just like the parent PNR As long as the IB segments show in the BA PNR then it sees it as a RT.

You book with AA flying DFW-LHR RT flying BA on return. AA creates a PNR in their system that is the main PNR in which all changes must be done. In general AA will then create the BA PNR with all segments listed. When you checkin with BA for return their system will see that you had a flight on AA outbound.

Why send all flights? Its cause the other airline generally needs to know if there are other flights. If you booked SAT-DFW-LHR RT with BA for the LHR segments, BA needs to know about the AA segments. Outbound it helps ot let them know if you're delayed, misconnecting, no-shows, etc. On return it needs to know of all segments to be able to do things like check bags.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:05 am
Suspended

I fly to and from the US mostly on one-way tickets, as a US citizen. Of my last 100 trips back to the US, the vast majority of them would be on one-way tickets. I haven’t had a single SSSS hit in at least a year on any of my one-way tickets; and the SSSS hits I’ve had in the past few years have been mainly on roundtrip tickets.

The SSSS hits for me have been mainly airline security contractor system driven. As more and more airlines are kicking back PreCheck boarding passes for me outside of the US too, my chances of getting hit by SSSS have dropped. Getting PreCheck on a boarding pass for a US-bound flight is mutually exclusive to getting SSSS on a boarding pass. This is all practical experience that can help inform others that one-way tickets to the US are no longer as much of a flag to airlines, contractors and the government as they used to be and doesn’t drive being selected for SSSS as much as it used to do.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
This isn't correct. The system looks at what is in the PNR in their system. However most times that PNR will list all legs just like the parent PNR As long as the IB segments show in the BA PNR then it sees it as a RT.

You book with AA flying DFW-LHR RT flying BA on return. AA creates a PNR in their system that is the main PNR in which all changes must be done. In general AA will then create the BA PNR with all segments listed. When you checkin with BA for return their system will see that you had a flight on AA outbound.

Why send all flights? Its cause the other airline generally needs to know if there are other flights. If you booked SAT-DFW-LHR RT with BA for the LHR segments, BA needs to know about the AA segments. Outbound it helps ot let them know if you're delayed, misconnecting, no-shows, etc. On return it needs to know of all segments to be able to do things like check bags.
The IATA standard is for the PNR of any non-ticketing carrier to contain 1 segment prior to the operating carrier (if that segment arrives less than 24 hours prior to the operating carrier's flight) and any segments with less than 24 hour connections after the operating carrier's flight. All operating carriers have access to the ticket information as well, so they can see the full itinerary if they desire.

However, for the purposes of submitting secureflight data, there is a "one way" and "round trip" flag that is selected based on the itinerary information. In all the implementations I've seen, only the operating carrier's flights are considered when selecting this flag.

In my personal experience as well, 23 out of my 26 flights to the US in the past year have been SSSSed, mostly on one-way or multi-carrier open jaw tickets. NEXUS hasn't helped at all.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:31 pm
Suspended

In my personal experience as well, 23 out of my 26 flights to the US in the past year have been SSSSed, mostly on one-way or multi-carrier open jaw tickets. NEXUS hasn't helped at all.
Do you recall which airlines and from where you were flying those 23 times that came with SSSS hits and how they broke down by carrier and continental gateway city for the US-bound planes?

During my GE membership era, most of my SSSS hits for TATL flying to the US involved AA (primarily when connecting via LHR). That was also the case for me before my GE membership era.

Of my intra-continental/intra-Americas flights to the US with SSSS, most have been with DL. But my SSSS hits with DL have been far and few between. For many years now, none of my SSSS hits have been on TATL flights to the US with DL. I don’t connect to LHR to take DL flights.

I rarely have gotten SSSS hits when flying TATL to the US on Star Alliance carries. LX has gotten me a few times with SSSS, but that’s been sporadic.

The SSSS hits have been more on my roundtrip itineraries than one-way itineraries. The vast majority of my travel is on one-way tickets. Only when doing one-way EU-LHR-US trips involving AA have I ever had back to back SSSS hits on the way to the US.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Do you recall which airlines and from where you were flying those 23 times that came with SSSS hits and how they broke down by carrier and continental gateway city for the US-bound planes?

During my GE membership era, most of my SSSS hits for TATL flying to the US involved AA (primarily when connecting via LHR). That was also the case for me before my GE membership era.

Of my intra-continental/intra-Americas flights to the US with SSSS, most have been with DL. But my SSSS hits with DL have been far and few between. For many years now, none of my SSSS hits have been on TATL flights to the US with DL. I don’t connect to LHR to take DL flights.

I rarely have gotten SSSS hits when flying TATL to the US on Star Alliance carries. LX has gotten me a few times with SSSS, but that’s been sporadic.

The SSSS hits have been more on my roundtrip itineraries than one-way itineraries. The vast majority of my travel is on one-way tickets. Only when doing one-way EU-LHR-US trips involving AA have I ever had back to back SSSS hits on the way to the US.
Sure, here's the breakdown:
SSSSed at:
UA-PVG
UA-PEK
UA-FRA
UA-HKG
UA-HNL (UA154 is an "international" flight to GUM)
BR-TPE
NH-HND
BA-LCY
BA-LHR
TK-IST x4
AC-YYZ
AC-YVR x2
AC-YUL
AS-MEX
AS-SJO
AI-DEL x2
ET-ADD
EK-DXB

Not SSSSed at:
OZ-ICN
CA-PEK
EI-DUB
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
<snip>

TK-IST x4

<snip>
There is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence in this thread and elsewhere in the TSS forums that a history of travel to, from or through IST is major a factor in being designated for Secondary Security Screening Selection on other itineraries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.