Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:09 pm

The source is travelling far too much and getting irritated by pointless security measures.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Also some countries can require that X Percentage/number of passengers be randomly selected. This accounts for a large number of SSSS on the flight from that country, but PRECHECK on the connecting flights. TSA decides if you get Pre. However the foreign government can still require you be a selectee. I get this flying through LHR with VS/DL periodically. Even now that both are PreCheck airlines.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Also some countries can require that X Percentage/number of passengers be randomly selected. This accounts for a large number of SSSS on the flight from that country, but PRECHECK on the connecting flights. TSA decides if you get Pre. However the foreign government can still require you be a selectee. I get this flying through LHR with VS/DL periodically. Even now that both are PreCheck airlines.
At LHR for VS/DL flights, it's not the UK requiring this. For those flights from the UK to the US, it's the US Government's doing. So if this situation is one that hits and you want those responsible for it to look into a complaint about this: contact the US Government and the operating carrier, as the UK isn't in the prime positions to address a passenger complaint about this on flights from the UK to the US on DL/VS.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:06 am
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
At LHR for VS/DL flights, it's not the UK requiring this. For those flights from the UK to the US, it's the US Government's doing. So if this situation is one that hits and you want those responsible for it to look into a complaint about this: contact the US Government and the operating carrier, as the UK isn't in the prime positions to address a passenger complaint about this on flights from the UK to the US on DL/VS.
Strange since I've gotten SSSS on a VS LHR-JNB ticket that had no US segments. Of any country the UK is the one that I get SSSS from/to the most.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:31 am
Suspended

Strange since I've gotten SSSS on a VS LHR-JNB ticket that had no US segments. Of any country the UK is the one that I get SSSS from/to the most.
Regarding: "Also some countries can require that X Percentage/number of passengers be randomly selected. This accounts for a large number of SSSS on the flight from that country, but PRECHECK on the connecting flights. TSA decides if you get Pre. However the foreign government can still require you be a selectee. I get this flying through LHR with VS/DL periodically. Even now that both are PreCheck airlines."

There are PreCheck outcomes for flights connecting outside of the US on non-US carriers? That would be news to my eyes if so; but I've seen no evidence of that. And so I read the above words to be about travel to the US. The only "foreign" government requiring "this" (i.e. "that X Percentage/number of passengers be randomly selected" on travel to the US is the US. That's the party to which a complaint about this should be directed if it keeps bothering someone on their trips.

I am pretty sure that South Africa still doesn't tell DL or VS "that X Percentage/number of passengers be randomly selected" for extra screening on flights to JNB. But you're welcome to hit up the South African government to see if "this" is still the case. Otherwise, there's no point in complaining to the South African government about a gate search at LHR; instead concerns about such flagging issues should be addressed to the government that drove the flagging issue and the airline which checked you in and/or is operating the flight with such search; those are the parties that are most capable of reducing the chances of this hitting again.

For flights to the US from LHR, it's the US and operating carrier that drive the flagging. The UK (as in the government) doesn't have a rule "that X Percentage/number of passengers be randomly selected" for flights from the UK.

Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Never said PreCheck came into play. I was replying to the fact that it was stated (in reply to post about when SSSS when connecting to US) that only the US government tells airlines to pick passengers for SSSS. Some do, and thus offered the example of it happening when not connecting to US.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:28 am
Suspended

Never said PreCheck came into play. I was replying to the fact that it was stated (in reply to post about when SSSS when connecting to US) that only the US government tells airlines to pick passengers for SSSS. Some do, and thus offered the example of it happening when not connecting to US.
Either way, the example you provided is not a case of a (non-US) government telling a carrier in another country to "require that X Percentage/number of passengers be randomly selected". The example you provided is not a case of a non-US government requiring that selection. So if you want to complain about SSSS hits when flying DL/VS to/from/via LHR for those South African trips, then don't spend time trying to get the UK or South Africa to fix it; the USG and the operating carriers are the ones best situated to deal with the matter if they so desire.

Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:43 am

They put me on the "list"

Been crossing into the US ever since ever and never encountered any issues. Have Global entry and also enjoyed TSA Pre-Check priviliges on my boarding pass. However last two times crossing the border from Canada I was refered to secondary inspection because part of my name is matching some one on their watch list. I thought the point of global entry with your finger prints, iris scan and being a trusted traveller means there is 0 chance of someone else being me.

What are my options at this point?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:54 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the TS/S Forum. Please follow there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:32 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
this happened to DH

He was recommended by CBP at JFK to go into the GE office here in Sf and report this. He did and the GE agent went in the back, came out and said it was all fixed. Never knew exactly what the problem was but it seems to have gone away.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
"Enhanced" screening when you fly a different airline?

My background:
- Global Entry / Precheck. I did my GE interview about 2 years ago and have flown extensively since.
- U.S. citizen, Caucasian male
- Regularly fly AA and WN, but have my KTN added to other FF accounts as well.

In the past year, I've flown approximately 50 total segments on AA and WN, plus about 6 on United. On all of these, I book via the airline directly and use the "native" FFP and my KTN. Across all of these, I have had 0 cases where (a) Precheck didn't print on the BP or (b) I was selected for "enhanced" screening.

This year, I've begun flying a little bit of AS. I book via Alaskaair.com and manually enter my AA Gold number and KTN. In 5 total segments so far, all 5 of them have had either (a) Precheck not print on the BP or (b) enhanced screening at the airport. Since those enhanced screenings are cases where Precheck did print on the BP, I can rule out a website issue where it did not recognize my KTN.

They say it's "random", but simple math would indicate that this is an incredibly minute possibility. So I'm wondering: what is it about my pattern that suggests I'm a threat when I fly Alaska, but clearly not when I fly AA or WN?

In one of the "enhanced" cases, there wasn't any line-of-sight between the ID checker and the person who pulled me out for screening.

The intensity of the pat-down has increased sharply from the last time I got one a couple years ago. It's an experience I'd rather avoid in the future if possible, but unless someone has other ideas, that might mean I should stick with AA/WN, even though the AS nonstops are really nice.

All other aspects of my travel are similar between the AA/WN and AS trips. Lots of domestic flights + a few international flights, lots of short business trips, business-casual dress, laptop bag + same carry-on, etc.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Next time you get an AS BP without 'precheck', tweet Ask TSA. They'll ask you to DM your name, flight info, reservation number to look into it. There have been follow-up 'thanks' tweets in the past indicating something was resolved. That may or may not also fix the issue where you get precheck + enhanced attention.

You might delete your information and re-enter it into your AS profile. It's an incredibly long shot, but it's possible that when you have gotten Pre on AS, it's been 'free Pre', ie, based on your flying habits/status, not because your name/KTN/DOB are all correct. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened with Pre.

Last edited by chollie; Apr 21, 2017 at 11:24 am
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
My background:
- Global Entry / Precheck. I did my GE interview about 2 years ago and have flown extensively since.
- U.S. citizen, Caucasian male
- Regularly fly AA and WN, but have my KTN added to other FF accounts as well.

In the past year, I've flown approximately 50 total segments on AA and WN, plus about 6 on United. On all of these, I book via the airline directly and use the "native" FFP and my KTN. Across all of these, I have had 0 cases where (a) Precheck didn't print on the BP or (b) I was selected for "enhanced" screening.

This year, I've begun flying a little bit of AS. I book via Alaskaair.com and manually enter my AA Gold number and KTN. In 5 total segments so far, all 5 of them have had either (a) Precheck not print on the BP or (b) enhanced screening at the airport. Since those enhanced screenings are cases where Precheck did print on the BP, I can rule out a website issue where it did not recognize my KTN.

They say it's "random", but simple math would indicate that this is an incredibly minute possibility. So I'm wondering: what is it about my pattern that suggests I'm a threat when I fly Alaska, but clearly not when I fly AA or WN?

In one of the "enhanced" cases, there wasn't any line-of-sight between the ID checker and the person who pulled me out for screening.

The intensity of the pat-down has increased sharply from the last time I got one a couple years ago. It's an experience I'd rather avoid in the future if possible, but unless someone has other ideas, that might mean I should stick with AA/WN, even though the AS nonstops are really nice.

All other aspects of my travel are similar between the AA/WN and AS trips. Lots of domestic flights + a few international flights, lots of short business trips, business-casual dress, laptop bag + same carry-on, etc.

Thoughts?
Out of the 5 AS segments flown, how many of them had boarding passes with PreCheck indicators on them?

Note there have been some carriers where the mobile phones and printed out versions of a boarding pass for a given flight have not both shown the same thing in regard to PreCheck.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:07 am
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Under 5 years or so of GE (or Nexus) I've gotten the SSSS about 5 times. 3 of those times, a seat change resolved it (no idea why maybe airline has bad KTN info); 1 of the times, KTN info wasn't correct. DM'd the Airline on twitter to have them check and they corrected it - unchecked me in. Recheck BP didn't have SSSS and has Pre on it. Last time was a random, of all places AA FRA-DFW - worst ever SSSS secondary ever. Pray your SSSS's are in the US and not FRA Terminal 2. - not that PreCheck would have helped, just wouldn't have had a random SSSS maybe.

I've never NOT gotten Pre if I haven't had one of the above SSSS incidents.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Maybe not the right forum...

Just checked in for my flight home to the US tomorrow. Flying LOT from Tallinn to Warsaw, connecting to LOT Warsaw-LAX, UA LAX-LAS.

SSSS printed on my WAW-LAX and LAX-LAS boarding passes, but not my TLL-WAW one. My Global Entry KTN is attached to my reservation.

I have a one hour layover in WAW, which I was already sweating, but now I'm especially nervous. Bags checked through, of course, but I still need to deplane, clear passport control, and be at the gate within 50 minutes of wheels down from my flight from Tallinn.

Will I make it?

I'm sure the reason for this is that my outbound from the US was to Turkey...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.