Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Zulazai
What can I really do?
I would write a paper letter to your member of parliament, clearly explaining what happens to you, when and how and ask him / her what you should do.

Now keep in mind some MPs are very helpful when it comes to constituent issues, and others are useless.

...but it's worth a start.

(I'm assuming by your comments that you live in Canada.)
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:44 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Safety/Security Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Zulazai
I have a NEXUS, used Global entry and have 0 criminal records or convictions or any mental health issues. However I cannot do online checking and the booking agents always have to manually check me over after they pull me to the side and make few calls while I have to wait as others zoom by. Even when I provide my KTN in my booking and carefully enter my APIS on their websites. Will applying for redress program eventhough Iam nexus holder help me? Does it even matter if Iam flying mostly out of Vancouver?

What can I really do?
Well, first thing first is to try to find out on which airline/airlines this has been happening to you and at which airport/airports this has hit you. Which airline(s) were you flying and at which airport(s) have you been when this happened? How many times has it happened?

Then it will be easier after that to try to figure out what the probable causes are for the issue. And after that there may be some effective ways suggested to try to fix the issue so it doesn't hit you a lot more or at least doesn't hit as often.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:05 am
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:36 pm

18 yr old GE member receiving SSSS

Got SSSS'd on my first flights yesterday, from SJD-ORD-PHL. I'm 18, AA Gold, Global Entry Member, etc. I would say the majority of my domestic flts this year were booked as two one ways. However, there was something very interesting about this trip. It was my first time abroad in about 3 years, and the only countries abroad I've been to ever are Germany, Italy, UK, Various carribbean islands and mexico. In SJD, I simply received a patdown at the gate, and handed my carryon off to my mom to board with. The boarding pass i received from the agent in SJD for SJD-ORD had the SSSS on it but ORD-PHL didn't. However, when arriving at ORD, I used a kiosk to request an upgrade on the ORD-PHL segment, and it spit out an SSSS boarding pass for that flight as well. However, I simply went through TSA the agent-issued non SSSS boarding pass without the designation and all was fine, I just didn't get precheck. Then, in the admirals club in ORD, I asked the agent to print my BP once my upgrade cleared, and the SSSS was not there either, but when the BP was scanned at the gate, the screen popped up saying this passenger is subject to extra screening, which she just clicked away. All-in-all uneventful, just seems like really odd circumstances for it to be showing up depending on who prints the boarding pass, and I sure as hell hope it doesn't happen again.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:11 pm

Just to share some experiences but in November 2015 I did a mileage run to Bahrain and I got tagged with SSSS. This was right after that Russian jetliner got shot down. It made flight route longer and I got delayed on the way back too out of fear for commercial air travel being in harms way of ISIS. I was surprised given I'm GE and I'm a regular United loyalist.

With that said I never got that SSSS again. I flew in December to my annual visit to Asia along with a few international business trips in Feb, Mar, and April of 2016.

As for the experience itself, since it was a mileage run and nearly 40 hours of flying, I brought 2 phones (work+personal) with my tablet and laptop. They asked me to power on every single one for them in addition to the explosive swab test on practically every corner of my bag. Wasn't too slow because the minute I got scanned at the TSA counter they pulled me to the front of the line for SSSS.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, SWA Rapid Rewards
Have GE, First hopefully last SSSS on AA

Number one shame on me for not noticing something unusual on my boarding pass. I saw the SSSS on my AA MAD to DFW, but had no idea what it meant.

I am AA EXP, Only nondomestic flights have been to the UK Germany and Spain.

I am GE and TSA precheck.

Was not pre-check on my MAD issues boarding pass for my connecting flight so I had gate agent in Dallas reprint my connecting boarding pass hoping you would have pre-check, but did not.

only thing I could think was different was I got a new passport and did not update the passport number in my American Airlines profile and when I put in my passport number when I try to login online it rejected me, But that was before my DFW to Madrid outbound flight and I present my new passport to the airport at a boarding pass no issues heading to Madrid only on the way back from Madrid .

from what I can tell all of my new SSSS extra screen friends were all US citizens heading back to the states.

if he truly is random which I don't believe that makes no sense whatsoever what a waste of resources. Aging myopic dermatologists are probably a low risk group
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While posted in UA forum, believe this was intended for AA forum -- have moved

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:46 pm
Suspended

It happens.

Enthusiastic discussion of such issues here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-security-222/
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Did you book or change your ticket at the last minute?

I've only received the dreaded SSSS once, and it was when I did a last-minute (two days before departure) change on the return HKG-DFW-XXX part of a round-trip ticket. I had SSSS on both my international and domestic BPs--there was no chance I was going to be able to get one with preCheck. I have preCheck and Global Entry, so I guess their algorithm can and will peg anyone.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, SWA Rapid Rewards
SSSS

sorry for posting this under the wrong airlines this is an American airline flight

I did change my outbound Dallas to Madrid flight at the last minute I postponed it by two days because I had the flu . But I did not receive any special screening outbound Dallas to Madrid the special screening occurred inbound from Madrid back to Dallas .
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The change may have resulted in your KTN being removed when the reservation updated. There's other reasons as well. Suffice to say I have GE and get PreCheck on all my US flights and flights from the US. However I sometimes get SSSS even on PreCheck airlines on flights to US.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
I've had the dreaded SSSS before in spite of elite and global entry. Yes might be a nuisance but at least there's some type of security in effect. Have been told it's random, irritating but unfortunately necessary in this day and age.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As security is the job of TSA and not AA, I'll move this over to the TSS-->Trusted Travelers forum.

Thanks!

aztimm
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by dwugson
I've had the dreaded SSSS before in spite of elite and global entry. Yes might be a nuisance but at least there's some type of security in effect. Have been told it's random, irritating but unfortunately necessary in this day and age.
I very much doubt it is necessary to flag a less than 12 month old infant as SSSS
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:10 pm

Do some research....I think you will change your viewpoint. Start with the pregnant mother flying to TLV.

Originally Posted by Phasers
I very much doubt it is necessary to flag a less than 12 month old infant as SSSS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.