TR: JER-HNL with BA and AA by two Senior Citizens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TR: JER-HNL with BA and AA by two Senior Citizens

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:09 am

So the weather looked good?

I thought that it was risky to go in the winter. I went in the summer. We stayed in the Royal Hawaiian in 1986. I loved swimming in the ocean there. The little waves which tended to tickle were hilarious.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Bretteee

I thought that it was risky to go in the winter. I went in the summer. We stayed in the Royal Hawaiian in 1986. I loved swimming in the ocean there. The little waves which tended to tickle were hilarious.
Steady 75şF-80şF, apart from the storm on the night we arrived. Very pleasant

We only ventured out briefly on that first afternoon, and the wind was so strong it was hard to walk against it! No wonder they had trees and power lines out all over the islands.

I will not discuss being tickled by waves, and other shallow-water activities of distant memory, as this is a family-friendly forum
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bretteee

The sea was quite cold, a bit like an English summer.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I've just finished reading...far too much to comment on!

Thanks for a great Trip Report.

btw, I love the drink!

Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest
I've just finished reading...far too much to comment on!

Thanks for a great Trip Report.

btw, I love the drink
Congratulations for being the first one to notice! ^
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
The sea was quite cold, a bit like an English summer.
I suspected that would be the case, so we didn't even consider it. We need a good coral reef and still water to achieve a decent temperature. The Pacific rolling in, almost unhindered, makes it clear what to expect ... It won't get warm enough!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:33 pm
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
Love your TR's T, this one was really enjoyable to read.

Can't say Honolulu has ever appealed to me but hubby fancies going there, maybe one day.

I have to say, I hope that when we're 70 that we have both the stamina and wherewithal to enjoy trips like you do!

Have you been to St. Lucia before? We loved it, the Pitons are a must :-)
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by T8191
Ah, gotcha! Taxi LGW to LCY would be my preferred option ... hauling suitcases around on trains is not my idea of a suitable activity for an old bloke with a dodgy back. But in any case, we would prefer to avoid NYC and its airports if at all possible - I just don't like anything about the place. Far too busy, noisy, hectic etc.
I guess it does add a bit of extra hassle to the trip, but I like mixing things up a bit and I prefer CWLCY to regular CW. It's not just about the TP but it helps.

Forgetting about TP my favourite way to LAX would be F on the direct A380 followed by J using CWLCY and then AA JFK-LAX although I'm going to try US Airways on my next flight to the US (although it sounds like I may regret it, but I never did get to try them when they were in Star Alliance and I was a diamond club member).
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LadyB
Love your TR's T, this one was really enjoyable to read.
Can't say Honolulu has ever appealed to me but hubby fancies going there, maybe one day.
I have to say, I hope that when we're 70 that we have both the stamina and wherewithal to enjoy trips like you do!
Have you been to St. Lucia before? We loved it, the Pitons are a must :-)
Thanks, Ma'am.

Not sure I'd recommend HNL/Waikiki unless I knew the person I was talking to. The Benidorm comparison cited earlier sort of sums it up. Box ticked, from our POV, and we won't be going back there. Other Hawaiian Islands - quite likely.

St Lucia is a new destination for us. We've done Jamaica [I lived there as a kid] but the rationale is where to use a 2-4-1 effectively ... so any BA Caribbean destination that has First
Planning for next Winter has Barbados (BGI) firmly in our sights!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Not sure I'd recommend HNL/Waikiki unless I knew the person I was talking to. The Benidorm comparison cited earlier sort of sums it up. Box ticked, from our POV, and we won't be going back there. Other Hawaiian Islands - quite likely.
You might like Maui, especially Lahaina/Kapalua. My last trip to the islands, and Mrs. greg5's first took us out there. We had a great time. I'd been to Maui many years before. I'd go again, and again. Kauai is also great. On the Big Island, you need a car to see all of the interesting stuff.

There is some good info in this thread: Is Hawaii Overrated as a destination?

On my first trip to Waikiki, I decided I'd seen that, been there. But on a number of transpac SEA-HNL-AKL and return I had stopovers in HNL. On a couple of stopovers I visited some friends were on the other side of the Pali, which was pretty nice, if a bit suburban. Another time, I just grabbed a rental car and headed up to the North Shore after arriving, watched the sunset, and then caught my flight back to SEA.

Now that I'm in ZRH, I'm thinking I should have a look at the Canaries and the Azores.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Greg5 you raise an interesting point! We never looked at the Destination Guide here!!

Why, I have no idea. But then independent travel, and a small sense of adventure, is what we are in to these days!

Thanks for the reminder of a useful source of info ... I hardly every stray from the BA Board!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
Another great trip report, Uncle T. Glad you had a great time.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Greg5 you raise an interesting point! We never looked at the Destination Guide here!!

Why, I have no idea. But then independent travel, and a small sense of adventure, is what we are in to these days!

Thanks for the reminder of a useful source of info ... I hardly every stray from the BA Board!
I hang out a bit in the Destinations, mostly in the general Europe area giving folks pointers on Switzerland and the trains here.

Perhaps, someday I'll make it over to JER.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Enjoyed this very much. Well done! And congratulations on G O L D. ^
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Thanks Uncle T for taking the time to post - it was great to see the HNL TP run in colour! I am off there in Aug!

Regards

aks120

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.