TR: JER-HNL with BA and AA by two Senior Citizens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TR: JER-HNL with BA and AA by two Senior Citizens

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Great report. Very much enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
That's me done - Part 4 published
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
Enjoyable read. Thanks for posting.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Loved the report Uncle T - thanks for taking the time to write it up and post the pics.

Am now very tempted to get myself to HNL at some point!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
What PETER01 should have realised was if this was a TP run you'd have flown LCY-JFK-PHX-HNL for maximum TPs. As you started at JER is LGW easier to get to LCY or LHR?

The route you took was pretty much as direct as possible so certainly not a TP run but it was a nice little earner

Warning: if you experience F on an A380 you'll never want to go back to CW on that aircraft. No waiting ages for your food in F and you can tell them when you'd prefer to eat. I booked F on the A380 and now the thought of CW anywhere but the top deck of a 747 or CWLCY (or aircraft with no F such as midhaul A321 or 787) just doesn't feel premium anymore
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stu1985
Loved the report Uncle T - thanks for taking the time to write it up and post the pics.

Am now very tempted to get myself to HNL at some point!
There's no Monopole on longhaul (fortunately). Your trip reports are not complete without a monopole pic

My therapy is working. I can say that word now without my blood boiling!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Layz ... BA does JER-LGW, that's it. We can get to LCY with non-OW carriers, but nothing to LHR. A minor inconvenience, but at least the cost is offset by Jersey's tax regime
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A good read although it would have been nice to see a pic of you and the missus in local dress.
As I said before the resort doesn't look to be my type of place and war memorials don't interest me. Is there much else to see and do on the island?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
Layz ... BA does JER-LGW, that's it. We can get to LCY with non-OW carriers, but nothing to LHR. A minor inconvenience, but at least the cost is offset by Jersey's tax regime
I wasn't too clear. I knew you're stuck with Gatters but was wondering whether LGW-LCY (either by car or train+tube+DLR) would be too much of an inconvenience to even consider LCY-JFK?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by layz
I wasn't too clear. I knew you're stuck with Gatters but was wondering whether LGW-LCY (either by car or train+tube+DLR) would be too much of an inconvenience to even consider LCY-JFK?
Ah, gotcha! Taxi LGW to LCY would be my preferred option ... hauling suitcases around on trains is not my idea of a suitable activity for an old bloke with a dodgy back. But in any case, we would prefer to avoid NYC and its airports if at all possible - I just don't like anything about the place. Far too busy, noisy, hectic etc.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Great report! We spent our honeymoon in HI, with the last couple of nights on Oahu in Waikiki (we wanted to see what all the fuss was about and visit Pearl Harbor) so it's always great to read a report and see some photos.

Obviously I booked the flights myself, but we used North American Travel Agency, which was excellent for the hotels. The person from there described Waikiki as the Benidorm of the Pacific and said that we definitely did not want two weeks there! I too found the place a bit bizarre - tat and cheap cafes and then high-end places with not a lot in between.

I can highly recommend Halekulani for anyone staying in Waikiki. It's a calm oasis away from the busyness. The House Without a Key is a nice place to go and have a drink even if you're not staying. Always has live Hawaiian music and is a great place to relax with a drink and watch the sunset.

Thanks for posting and enjoy your new shiny card.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
A good read although it would have been nice to see a pic of you and the missus in local dress.
As I said before the resort doesn't look to be my type of place and war memorials don't interest me. Is there much else to see and do on the island?
Not really our sort of place either, but it met the No.1 criterion ... it was warm and sunny! I doubt we shall return, but we may try one of the other Islands for a more laid-back experience. Waikiki is just too much of the same thing - huge hotels and high-end shopping.
(ah, just seen gustavmahler's post ... what a conformal description and summary! Not that we've ever been near Benidorm, you understand!)

We were content wandering around just looking, and finding nice places to eat, and having a relaxing time. If we had rented a car we could have got out and about to find the 'real Hawaii', but for this 'test trip' we just stayed where we were.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by layz
There's no Monopole on longhaul (fortunately). Your trip reports are not complete without a monopole pic

My therapy is working. I can say that word now without my blood boiling!
Ha! I might shock you in my next one by not having a Monopoo
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Waikiki/Honolulu/Pearl Harbor is all I've seen of Oahu so I can't comment. However there's so much to do on Maui and the Big Island (spectacular scenery, volcanoes (active, dormant, snow-capped), sunrises and sunsets, great hiking, snorkelling diving etc., local culture, beaches, luaus and great seafood. Apparently HI has 11 of the world's 13 climates so there's something for everyone.

I'd love to visit Kauai too - that is supposedly the most beautiful.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Not that we've ever been near Benidorm, you understand!
Me neither, but maybe it was an analogy she thought I'd understand!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.