The Trip of a Million Lifetimes: 30 F/J Flights Around the World in 69 Days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Trip of a Million Lifetimes: 30 F/J Flights Around the World in 69 Days

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once again thanks for allowing me to travel vicariously.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Stupid and baiting questions don't deserve answers.
How would you propose to ask what I think is a legitimate question?

This is what the OP says about the subject...

"Now, I highlighted in the paragraph above that certain medical conditions make one exempt from the MWD so a person can just go through the WTMD. This is called a medical opt-out. One of these conditions is not being able to walk through the MWD and assume the position for 3-4 seconds. In my case, I am unable to because of a shoulder injury. Usually it is my left shoulder, but sometimes both shoulders. I have a hard time holding my arms over my head long enough for the TSA to obtain a satisfactory scan of my body. I think this is the result of frequent travel and lugging and stowing suitcases all the time. Regardless, when I arrive at a TSA checkpoint and the WTMD is roped off, my shoulder really starts to hurt, and right before I am directed into the MWD I tell the TSA agent, I cant lift my <left> or <right> or <left/right> shoulder above my head. Out of doing this the last 9 times I have been confronted with the MWD, it has worked 8 times that the TSA agent calls over a colleague and they unrope the WTMD, allow me to walk through it, and I am on my way. No enhanced pat-down, no judo chop to the labia, no stranger going through my hair. Just presto my shoulder hurts and I can enjoy the WTMD and be on my way. It is really that easy! I have friends who also have suffered recently from TSA Shoulder Syndrome and have successfully, without exception, used the roped-off WTMD instead of the MWD as a medical opt-out. There are countless accounts of others with TSA Shoulder Syndrome receiving medical opt-outs and bypassing the MWD. My personal experience, and others, with TSA Shoulder Syndrome demonstrates the TSAs ineffectiveness and their petard..."

It seems like he fakes an injury to get through security faster. I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
It has been fun to read and keep up with your travels so far! I like the play by play. I have already picked up a new tip, too. I am looking forward to hearing how the rest of your experience goes. You are lucky to have gone to Easter Island during the season you did. I went in February and it was HOT! I think winter would have been the way to go!!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Great stuff, thanks again. A quick question. When away from major cities and hotels, Easter Island and the Wine farm for example, are you drinking tap or well water or bottled water that is provided or you procure?

And I hope you dont mind my asking again as I didnt see a reply, sorry if I missed it or if its overly demanding:
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Thank you very much. Terrific use of Round-the-World and Explorer awards, very impressive, certainly explains how to do it all on just 3 tickets.

If you dont mind, did you book these award tickets on-line? Phone call or calls? Did you have to book all 16 flights on the Explorer award (and all 11 flights on the ANA award and all 5 flights on the United award) during the same on-line session or call to the respective airline? If necessary, did any of them allow you to make dummy date bookings and then finalize actual dates at a later time? Thanks again.

Great stuff, please continue with the reports.

^^^^^^
Thank you.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Still enjoying this report. Loving the hotel rooms/suites. I am so envious it is making me cranky.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
I certainly dont mean to be rude or pushy, but it looks like: http://www.gcmap.com/ (Great Circle Mapper).
hey thanks for that. I wanted to use it for my trip report as well.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Thank you everyone for your continued replies^^^. We are basking in every moment of this wonderful travel experience. I'll be sure to keep the posts coming...

Originally Posted by farbster
How would you propose to ask what I think is a legitimate question?

It seems like he fakes an injury to get through security faster. I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly.
Farbster,

I feel that you should be aware that it appears that some idiot has hacked your computer, and is signing your name to stupid posts.

Great stuff, thanks again. A quick question. When away from major cities and hotels, Easter Island and the Wine farm for example, are you drinking tap or well water or bottled water that is provided or you procure?

And I hope you dont mind my asking again as I didnt see a reply, sorry if I missed it or if its overly demanding:

Thank you.
Dr. Jabadski,

In both Easter Island, and the Wine Farm, the water from the sink was potable. In the case of Easter Island, it tasted very miner ally, so we bought bottled water out of preference for some drinking. At the Wine Farm, they provided a giant water cooler for which to fill a water bottle.

Regarding the booking, it was seperate sessions. The AA ticket took about 2 hours to book, and had many schedule changes and tweaks after. The ANA ticket took about 1 hour to book, and also had many schedule changes. The UA ticket took about 45 minutes to book, and has not yet had a material schedule change.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 12:52 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by beofotch
Regarding the booking, it was separate sessions. The AA ticket took about 2 hours to book, and had many schedule changes and tweaks after. The ANA ticket took about 1 hour to book, and also had many schedule changes. The UA ticket took about 45 minutes to book, and has not yet had a material schedule change.
You are very gracious, thank you very much. ^

Im particularly fascinated and motivated by your experiences and reports as Ive had no prior experiences with Around-the-World or Explorer award tickets. Please indulge just a few more clarification questions.

Re: The AA ticket took about 2 hours to book, and had many schedule changes and tweaks after. Did the schedule changes occur more than 24 hrs after initially booking the ticket? Did changes involve the itinerary? Did changes involve different dates? Were there any charges for any changes? Same questions for the ANA ticket and same questions also for any less-than-material changes to the UA ticket.

Thank you very very much once again. Thanks especially for tolerating me so thoroughly picking your brain. Eagerly awaiting your next report!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

12. MDZ - AEP on LA in Y

Mendoza - Buenos Aires (Aeroparque City Airport)

LA 4241

Departure Time: 9:00 AM

Airbus 320

Economy Class Seat 2L

Duration 1 hour, 20 minutes

The Mendoza airport is very small, 4 gates. LAN has a small check-in area, and one check-in counter labeled Preferentes. We checked-in here for our flight to Buenos Ares. Buenos Ares has two airports, EZE and AEP. EZE is the big international hub, and is far outside of the city. AEP is a very convenient city airport. In fact, a ride from this airport to the heart of town can be completed in less than 10 minutes! We were flying to AEP.

After check-in we waited in the security line, and were at the gate shortly thereafter. There was a Preferentes line for our AEP flight, so we waited uneventfully in this line. They called boarding and we walked out to our plane.

LAN's peaceful check-in counter at MDZ airport.

The A320 that would take us to Buenos Aires

Legroom on this flight was excellent, the best yet for a LAN economy class flight. I believe, but am not certain, that the first three rows of LAN economy only A320s, and maybe A319s, have extra seat pitch compared to the other rows. Either way, it was a very comfortable economy seat on a 100% capacity flight.

By now with so many short-haul economy flights on LAN, we were getting used to these snack boxes. They change for each flight, and in this case we got some Parmesan cracker thingys, some white chocolates, and some chocolate wafers.

The flight went by quickly and peacefully and before we knew it we were making a windyinto AEP. A cold front had recently blow in, making temperates in Argentina about 10 degrees Farenheight colder than normal. And it was quite windy. As a result, we had a bumpy, windy, topsy turvy landing as we glided by many high-rise buildings in downtown Buenos Aires. The captain stuck the landing beautifully, and the entire cabin applauded the successful touchdown.

We were unceremoniously picked up at a remote gate and bussed into the terminal. Once at the terminal, we went out to the public bus stops, where for only ARS3.50 (USD USD0.40 at our blue market rate), we took bus 45 into downtown Buenos Aires and walked to our hostel.

The bus didn't actually want to take our money, so our ride (shown above) was free instead of the 7ARS it should have been.

After a 10 minute walk down cobblestone and tile sidewalks, we were at our hostel, Ostinatto. We would be here for the next 3 nights, and I was looking forward to a hostel experience, something I knew very well but hadn't enjoyed in the last 3 years or so.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:13 am
Original Poster

13. Hostel Ostinatto Buenos Aires

Hostel Ostinatto

San Telmo, Buenos Aires, Argentina

3 nights paid cash (use Xoom to get the "blue market" rate 8.2 Argentine Pesos per 1 USD instead of official 5.2 Argentine Pesos per 1 USD rate).

Top Floor "Penthouse"

Hostel Ostinatto is in the heart of the San Telmo district of Buenos Aires. We found this neighborhood to be very charming. Cobblestones, tile, restaurants, hotels, cafes, and lots of local charm. The hostel itself has 50-60 rooms. We were booked many months in advance in their nicest room, the "penthouse". Most hostel rooms have 2-12 beds that are shared by backpackers with a shared shower. Some hostel rooms are private or semi-private, with a private bathroom. This hostel's "penthouse", was a private room, including private balcony, on the 6th floor of the hostel. We had our own private bathroom, and it was the nicest hostel room I have ever had. At the blue market rate, it only set us back about USD60 a night, an exceptional value to be in the heart of the city.

The outside and entrance of hostel Ostinatto, located at 680 on the Avenida Chile in San Telmo. To get into the building, you have to ring a bell where the front-desk employee comes and opens the door for you.

The lobby of the hostel, taken from the check-in desk. There was a couch, sitting area, and up to the left a small set of Internet computers. Even though we arrived at the hostel a bit before noon, our room was ready and they let us check-in early. The front desk staff, a very English fluent Argentine named Carolina, let us know about the activities available that week. The day of arrival, there was an organized group going to a soccer match. For ARS480 they would give you transportation, and unlimited pizza and beer. We strongly considered it, but given the cold, windy weather that arrived in Buenos Aires, and the short notice, we decided not to go. We were told about the free yoga class that would go on the following day, which we quickly but gracefully declined. There was a weekly Asado for Friday night, but we were already Asado'd out from our meat-sweat inducing time in Mendoza. So we didn't participate in any of the hostel group experiences.

It was winter in Argentina, and the days we were there were a bit cold. Highs in the upper 40s and lows in the mid 30s, with a good bit of cold wind coming up from Antarctica and across the Rio de la Plata into Buenos Aires. Thus, the hostel was very empty and we had the place almost to ourselves.

To get to our room, you had to take an awesome old-school elevator from the 1920s, then go through a locked door, up a flight of stairs, and finally through another locked door into the hostel room, room 60.

Standard if only marginally-worn room amenities. The sheets, blankets, and two towels were provided by the hostel. Generally, the room was comfortable enough and clean. If I had any one niggle, it was that the two pillows offered were quite thin.

There was a kitchenette with refrigerator and microwave, which we didn't end up using. In a hostel, a private fridge and microwave are quite the luxury.

The bathroom exceeded expectations. A full rain shower with jets, decent tile, and strong, hot water pressure was much appreciated after walking around the city all day. The toilet came with a bidet which we thought was kind of gross. Luckily the regular flush handle on the toilet worked fine without having to activate the bidet.

For a hostel, this was a freakin' impressive view.

The private balcony was also a really nice touch. Regrettably, the weather was too cold to enjoy the balcony, but it was nice having the full glass windows to let in the sunshine and the view.

We spent three awesome days and nights touring Buenos Aires beautiful neighborhoods and nightlife. I don't know what it is, but I really liked Buenos Aires. It had the feel of Paris's arridismonts, mixed with the Big City feel of Chicago. Each neighborhood had its own charm, like Lincoln Park in Chicago, SoHo in New York, or even Servette in Geneva. I have to say, that this is probably my favorite Latin large city I have visited to date. And while I haven't seen that many, I have been to Barcelona, Malaga, Mexico City, Panama City, Belize City, Lima, Santiago, and Valparaiso. Buenos Aires takes the cake. This is truly a world class city of friendly people, great culture, and endless things to do. I hope to make it back to Buenos Aires again one day.

I will also gush about the hostel. Our room was definitely the nicest hostel room I have ever had. Ostinatto provided very reasonable priced drinks and services (think $1.25 massive bottles of water, $1.50 beers, $2.50 laundry service). The desk staff was so attentive, and always happy to help point us in the right direction to the right sights. It was safe, quiet, and comfortable. Now that I have outgrown my party animal days a bit, the dozens of backpackers, and the fraternizing that goes along with them, was not missed on this stay. There was standard backpacker fare for breakfast, which we opted to skip for more substantial food for our daily sightseeing. I would highly recommend Ostinatto, and particularly the penthouse room, for excellent value for money and a unique lodging experience in San Telmo/Buenos Aires.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really enjoying your TR,
Well done !
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

14. AEP - IGR on LA in Y

Buenos Aires (Aeroparque City Airport) - Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

LA 4026

Departure Time: 12:20 PM (Actual 1:20 PM)

Airbus 320

Economy Class Seat 2L

Duration 1 hour, 40 minutes

Another day, another LAN Economy Only flight within South America. This is the last of our LAN flights, and the last of our flights as part of our OneWorld Explorer Award until we resume the open-jaw we start at IGR in NOU (Noumea, Caledonia - about 8,000 miles away).

AEP did not have a lounge for LAN passengers to use, so we cleared security and went to the gate. The flight was delayed about an hour, and it was unclear to me the reason of the delay. I was thankful there was even a flight, given the current bickering between Politicians in Argentina and LAN Airways. Basically, the government of Argentina nationalized Aerolineas Argentina a few years ago. Literally, they stole it from the person who owned it, and said we are going to own it now for the public interest. So the government has an interest in the success of Aerolineas Argentina, which has a hub at AEP airport. They don't like LAN's presence there, competing with their stolen loot, so they have been cage rattling politically as of late to try to get them out of there. Rumor has it LAN may discontinue flights in AEP in the coming days.

Boarding was via remote bus, and we climbed the jetway stairs and boarded our seats in row 2. The flight was overall uneventful, with a couple trip report posts written, and another LAN snackbox consumed.

Departure board at AEP airport for our flight to Iguazu Falls.

Line forming for boarding the remote bus for the Iguazu Flight

These remote buses to be ferried out to the gate are getting old

Another snack basket down

There were two really cute Argentine sisters on the flight, in the row across from us. The cabin crew was very kind with them, and even presented them with a "my first flight" certificate at the end of the flight. It was very cute.

When we left Buenos Aires, the cold front we had been experiencing had just ended. About mid-way through the flight, we caught back up with it, and by the time we landed in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina, it was pouring rain and very cold, around 45F. We were thankful we had requested our posada to arrange a taxi pick-up, so we didn't have to schlep it on the bus in freezing, heavy rain. It would go on to rain for the next 18 hours straight...
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Enjoy Iguassu Falls. I spent three days on the Brazilian side at hotel Dos Cataratas in the Park. A fantastic trip.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

15. Secret Garden - Iguazu Falls, Argentina

Secret Garden Posada

Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

3 nights paid cash (use Xoom to get the."blue market" rate.8.2 Argentine Pesos per 1 USD instead of official 5.5 Argentine Pesos per 1 USD rate).

Standard Room

As I mentioned in my last post, when we arrived in Puerto Iguazu Airport, it was cold and raining. .A cold front had moved in, and while the temperature there is typically 75F high and 50 low that time of year, for the first couple days we were there highs did not get past 48, lows around freezing, and alot of cold rain! .In fact, the first snowfall in almost 40 years was reported nearby. .Needless to say, it was a tough time to see the beautiful Iguazu Falls.

Just one of many amazing snapshots of Iguazu Falls. .This angle being taken from the Brazillian side of the falls.

When it finally stopped raining, I stopped to get some snapshots of where we were staying, the Secret Garden. .It was 750 pesos per night for a quiet, standard guestroom. .The proprieter, John Fernandes, has 3-4 rooms he rents out. .For the 750 pesos a night, you also get a fresh continental breakfast in the morning, and an evening happy hour at 7PM with fresh, delicious.Caipirinhas and homemade snacks like parmesan cheese balls, or bacon crumble cheese bread. .This gives you a great chance to unwind after spending all day at the Falls, and to meet the other guests. .During our time there, we met two Italian couples, and a couple from Texas.

John was in Buenos Ares attending to personal matters, so he delegated in his place a family friend named Bernardo to look after us. .Bernardo was a gracious surrogate host. .When we arrived, he gave us a quick tour of Puerto Iguazu in Johns borrowed truck. .When it was pouring rain, he gave us a ride to the downtown area to grab a bite to eat. .And during the happy hour, he sat down to chat with us and share with us stories of growing up in Argentina. .It was a treat to meet him and stay at this guesthouse.

Two marginal downsides to the Secret Garden are the internet only works in the public area of the property, and not in the rooms. .Additionally, there were no TVs in the room. .Normally, this is not a big deal because it is pleasant to be in the public area of the property, which is 90% outside in a beautifully maintained garden. .And you are hardly there anyway, exploring the falls and the surrounding region. .However, with record lows, really cold rain, and wind, ones hands get cold quickly using the Internet in the covered but cold public area. .And a TV would be nice to pass the time waiting for the weather to subside. .These are only marginal downsides, and during 95% of the year arent even noteworthy. .We just happened to be there during the big wet freeze!

Entrance to the secret garden from the street

Fresh fruit and jams for breakfast, along with strong Brazillian coffee

A view of the entrance to our room

The propertys mascot, Roxie the dog.

A view of the guesthouses from the public area. .Note the cold wetness...

The room itself, was comfortable in a basic kind of way.

We spent one day touring the Brazillian side of the falls, and the next day the Argentine side. .The falls are truly epic, and the national parks in Brazil and Argentina are very well maintained and signposted. .This was truly a majestic place. .On the second day, on the Argentine side, the sun finally came out, and it started to warm up. .So we had the unique experience of seeing the falls during an unseasonable swollen period due to the rain, both in with heavy clounds, and in bright sunshine. .It was truly a neat experience!

Our flight to Sao Paulo, was very early in the morning, and we were up at 4AM the morning of the flight. .We had arranged a taxi through Bernardo, and by 4:30AM we were off to the Foz de Iguacu airport, across the border in Brazil. .It was an early one for sure!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Nice shots of the falls! I want to go!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.