Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:06 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Take a look at this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...43939212729970

Someone filmed an aborted take off and has subtitled it some really annoying comments..
This may be one of the most annoying videos (because of the comments) that I have seen for a while. What a tool!
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Only three aborted approach/ landings I can remember.

One was AA MD-80 coming into land at SJC some time around 1992...came in high and pilot initiated go-around at maybe 500 ft. I actually had forgotten all about this incident until my dad reminded me of it...he was watching from the observation deck. But, I guess it couldn't have been that scary.

Another was AS MD-80 coming into land at SEA 12/03, the pilot said there was "another aircraft in our airspace" and pilots initiated a go around maybe 1,000 ft agl.

The most dramatic one was a WN 737 coming in to land at SFO in Feb 08. It was a clear day and we had a smooth, normal approach to 28L. We did come in slightly high, but the pilots got the aircraft to flare shortly after the numbers. However, the aircraft just seemed very floaty. Not sure if they over-flared, or if we got a last-minute tail wind. But, after hovering not more than 10-20 feet off the runway for a maybe five or six more seconds, the pilots gunned the engines and around we went. Oddly there was never one word from the cockpit apologizing or explaining what happened, and the pilots stayed in the cockpit with the door closed while we were deplaning.

Aborted takeoff: Never happened to me. My uncle was on a NW 360 (an A320) out of SFO a couple months, and experienced a low-speed aborted takeoff. Engine warning light came on apparently. Went back to the gate, troubleshooted and took off normally about 90 min later.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Yes, IAD-SJU on TED a couple weeks ago. Our wheels never left the ground though. (Is that considered an aborted take-off?) Anyway, it was due to a ATC error. We had to sit 30+ mins to wait for the brakes to cool before we could leave.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Nosmo King
Normal ground roll up to nosewheel lift off -- called rotation or V2
Vr and V2 are separate speeds. Vr comes first. V1, Vr, V2. V2 is takeoff safety speed, the speed at which you would climb if an engine is lost during the takeoff.

And I'd like someone qualified in A300s to tell me it's SOP to abort DURING roation!
No. You do not abort after rotation unless the aircraft's ability to fly is seriously in doubt. I am not away of any post-Vr aborts which ended with an airplane that was ever able to fly again. The B747 that broke into three pieces during an aborted takeoff last week in Europe is the latest example and they aborted before Vr but after V1. It is unlikely that your flight rotated prior to the abort.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond;
[QUOTE=LarryJ;9832744]Vr and V2 are separate speeds. Vr comes first. V1, Vr, V2. V2 is takeoff safety speed, the speed at which you would climb if an engine is lost during the takeoff.

Yeah, my bad. Those were never our terms. We called them S1 (decision speed), Vrot (rotation) and Vco (3 eng climb speed, min climb speed, but always shot for V3eng + 10kts). Lastly Vr (refusal speed - accel and stop in the available runway)

No. You do not abort after rotation unless the aircraft's ability to fly is seriously in doubt. I am not away of any post-Vr aborts which ended with an airplane that was ever able to fly again.

That's kinda harsh; maybe not fly that day. Going to need a brake change, for sure, but no reason it can't fly. Refusal speed, or whatever it's called in the civilian world, is the key speed. Exceed that speed and abort and you're probably going off the runway -- into the overrun if you're lucky, or Flushing Bay if you're not.

It is unlikely that your flight rotated prior to the abort

Well I was there. And the least I'll say is that rotation was initiated; that is, the nose gear strut was extending. The deck angle was obvious, as was the change in the horizon looking out the window. Knowing something extraordinary must have occurred to cause an abort during rotation caused me to posit that we'd just had a runway incursion and averted a collision.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:09 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Vr and V2 are separate speeds. Vr comes first. V1, Vr, V2. V2 is takeoff safety speed, the speed at which you would climb if an engine is lost during the takeoff.

No. You do not abort after rotation unless the aircraft's ability to fly is seriously in doubt. I am not away of any post-Vr aborts which ended with an airplane that was ever able to fly again. The B747 that broke into three pieces during an aborted takeoff last week in Europe is the latest example and they aborted before Vr but after V1. It is unlikely that your flight rotated prior to the abort.
as to the "v-speeds", i'm having a bald moment...could you give the definitions for each (i.e. is vr the minimum speed needed to rotate or is that one of the other ones?)

as to an aborted t/o after rotation, i remember this where a twa flight leaving jfk that had rotated and the pilot put it back down (http://www.scribd.com/doc/2463395/Ab...w-York-July-30)
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
We called them S1 (decision speed), Vrot (rotation) and Vco (3 eng climb speed, min climb speed, but always shot for V3eng + 10kts). Lastly Vr (refusal speed - accel and stop in the available runway)
We have no refusal speed, only V1. Vr the speed at which rotation is initiated.

[FONT="Arial Narrow"]That's kinda harsh; maybe not fly that day. Going to need a brake change, for sure, but no reason it can't fly.[/quote]

Show me one instance were a commercial airliner initiated an abort after rotation (civialian Vr) where the airplane was able to fly again. I know of none. I know of plenty that aborted after V1, even though BEFORE Vr, which resulted in the airplane being totaled.

And the least I'll say is that rotation was initiated; that is, the nose gear strut was extending.
That wouldn't be unusual but it occurs well before V1 or rotation. I hold some forward pressure during the takeoff roll to increase nose wheel traction in the event of an engine failure (while below Vmcg). This pressure some compress the nose strut to some extent. I release that pressure in the latter stages of acceleration as the increase rudder effectiveness at the higher speeds will ensure adequate directional control during a high-speed abort. As I release that pressure the nose strut extends but we're still 20-30 knots prior to rotation and the nose wheel is still firmly on the ground.

Originally Posted by goalie
could you give the definitions for each (i.e. is vr the minimum speed needed to rotate or is that one of the other ones?)
Vmcg = Minimum control speed on the ground. This is the minimum speed at which aircraft control can be maintained on the ground using only the flight controls, i.e. rudder, when the most critical engine fails. Below Vmcg you are relying on nose wheel steering, not flight controls, to maintain directional control in the event of an engine failure. Vmcg is not normally calculated nor bugged but the V1 calculation takes it into account.

V1 = Takeoff decision speed. An abort at, or below, V1 has enough runway to stop. A continued takeoff with an engine failure at, or above, V1 has the necessary climb performance to successfully complete the takeoff. You abort after V1 ONLY if the ability of the aircraft to fly is seriously in doubt.

Vr = Rotation speed. This is the speed at which rotation is initiated, i.e. you start applying back pressure to raise the nose to the target takeoff attitude. Vr is NEVER less than V1. If the calculated Vr is less than V1 then Vr is increased to V1 (this is already built into the calculations so the crew will never see the lower-than-V1 Vr figure)

V2 = Takeoff safety speed. This is the speed at which you will climb to your acceleration altitude (usually 800'-1000' above the field elevation) in the event of an engine failure during takeoff. The speed isn't used unless an engine fails.

as to an aborted t/o after rotation, i remember this where a twa flight leaving jfk that had rotated and the pilot put it back down
That's one example, the recent loss of the Kallata 747 in Brussels is the most recent. The TWA L1011 had a faulty stall warning system which activated erroneously on takeoff and led the crew to believe that the airplane would not fly. The airplane was a total loss.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 1:27 pm

Interesting subject.

My experiences:

mid/to late 80's: JAL flight from RJAA (NRT)-KLAX(LAX). Unexpected headwinds making us fuel critical. Coupled with the recent loss of a JAL flt no 123 a 747 from an in-flight decompression and the conversation from the cockpit, via PA, of divert to KSFO(SFO), no we can make it, no divert.... Made for a very interesting flight for the 12 year old me.

late 80's: UAL KLAX (LAX) to KSFO (SFO), which is suffering from a strong High Pressure system to the East, leads to three aborted landing attempts due to crosswind component. Landed safe, but there were sure some nervous fliers afterwards.

early 90's: Woot! Excited cause I am gonna get my first ride in a private jet. A brand new Cessna Citation V KTOA-KLAS, but ground incident. Assigned taxiway by tower leads to wing to nose strike on a Cessna 172. No cool jet ride for me that day.

Followup: After hours of debrief by the NTSB for the pilots and examination of the damage. We take off, the next day, from KTOA to KLAS, excellent flight. Good god, private jet is the way to go? Red carpet and all upon arrival... However, on the return....departure from KLAS, Japanese pilot (left seat PIC) exceeds departure procedure and violates flight restrictions over military operating area. Despite quick apologies from the US based pilot and correction to filed flight plan. Another nice long debriefing for the pilots.

90's to mid 90's: Another freebie ride, but this time in a Gulfstream III. On a repositioning flight from KLGB (just came from maintenance) to KVNY master caution and warning for a fire left engine. Fire trucks rolled, but turns out to be a faulty sensor. (I always wonder...who pays for that?)

mid 90's to late 90's: UAL flight from KBOS to KLAX on a very heavily loaded 757 (school break and all). I have the window seat, watching the runway distance markers fly by. Abort at the 4 mark, with no thrust reverse, full speed breaks/spoilers and heavy braking action. Fire trucks rolled; stood at a remote stand while maintenance checked components and cleared us. No explanation given, but most likely a caution and warning.

late 90's: Swiss Air from KEWR to LSZH Airbus A330. Aborted take off due to runway incursion. Pilot opts to return to remote stand for refueling due to long waits for departure from KEWR. Can not remember the exact words but from the "flight deck" some jack ... package company turned right instead of left.

00's to late 05. UAL flight from KORD to KEWR on an Airbus A320. I don't know if its a UAL mandated item, but taxied to active from ramp on one engine. Listening to Channel 9; as pilot received position and hold clearance from the departing company traffic, pilot attempts to open bleed valves to turn engine 2. For us in the pax compartment all we hear is waaaahahaaaahhhaaa...clunk clunk. After three tries to open the valve. Pilot requests to taxi off active to "trouble shoot". waaaaahaaaahhhhhaaaaa...clunk clunk...and channel 9 goes off. Taxi back to the gate and wait 3 hours for a "new plane".

mid 05's till now: Two incidents. One a prepurchase inspection for a twin prop. (can't say much for it will violate client confidentiality) upon take off the right engine prop governor went nutso. Immediate return and safe landing. My hat is off to the pilot in command considering it could of been pretty bad with the yaw affects and all.

Another incident, take off from an airport in the midwest on a twin turbo prop on an IFR flight plan for yet another prepurchase inspection. Upon reaching crusing alt. lost all communications with center...or better yet...with everybody. So flying along at FL230 with no communication for 20 min in one of the busiest air sectors of the world....mucho fun. Thankfully, no one knew so no incident report filed....but...they did not buy the airplane!

uhno
Old Jun 6, 2008, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M
Flying into Beef Island, Tortola....aborted landing....cow on the runway. Back in 1999.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 4:02 pm

landing go-arounds used to be pretty common in Austin at the old airport during fog season. The AA pilot knew they could probably make it on the third attempt, and they did. MD80's and the DC10's they used to fly down from DFW.

LGA landing due to acrft not clearing the rwy USAir.

And numerous aborted takeoffs that were not high-energy RTO's for all kinds of reasons.

Having observed a couple of missed-approaches from the jump-seat, I was surprised at how it was a high workload and high stress event for the pilots. Even though this is practiced continually in the simulator, they don't see it that often in practice. A good approach briefing helps.

Australian Airlines (pre Qantas) produced a recurrent training video showing what happens after an engine failure after V1, as the airplane continues the takeoff and then returns to land. They did this to educate the flight attendants on how much work the pilots are going thru and why they might be delayed on making a PA announcement.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:19 pm

I second the observation that an aborted takeoff is a problem, an aborted landing represents good piloting.

I've had two aborted landings, both on AA. (Not to pick on them, but that's what I fly most often.)

First was a flight from ORD to LHR, at the morning rush hour for overnight flights from the US. I don't remember the dates, but it was far enough back to be on an MD-11. Routine westbound approach to LHR (over the City) till we were over the end of the runway, then full engines. Captain explained before starting the next approach that the airplane landing ahead of us had not cleared the runway in time.

Second was an MD-80 from LGA to ORD a few years ago. We had a passenger who had become seriously ill and who was lying down in the aisle in F. The FA's made a PA announcement that we'd be making an expedited landing due to the sick passenger, and please stay in our seats till the EMTs had boarded and taken the passenger off. We made a very tight turn to final for 9R, and a high and fast approach -- a little too high and fast, as it turned out, so the captain made the "go around" decision about the time we crossed the runway threshold. The second approach was fine, and we had an ambulance and EMT team waiting at he gate.

My experience may be a bit different than most: I'm a retired USAF KC-135 pilot. So first off, let me say there's a world of difference between an aborted landing an an aborted takeoff -- an aborted takeoff is the result of something unplanned, a malfunction or some airfield problem. An aborted landing (i.e., a go-around or missed approach) is a demonstration of good pilot judgment!

That said I've had plenty of both when I was in one of the front row seats.

My one and only commercial takeoff abort was on a LH A300 from Berlin. Normal ground roll up to nosewheel lift off -- called rotation or V2 -- when the plane shifted violently from left to right to left. Pilot over controlling the rudder I figured, funny there wasn't much wind, but then the nosewheel came down and he got on the brakes hard ... real hard! My first thought was, "Crap, I'll bet someone taxied across our runway and we just avoided a Teneriffe accident! Otherwise why the hell would he abort during rotation?! I'm no expert on Airbuses, but on my trusty Boeing Stratotanker you would never abort after rotation, except in the most dire of circumstances (like 3 of 4 engines fail, or the wing falls off)

At the same time I saw the left side of the runway disappear (was seated in a window seat on the left) and I thought (it's amazing how fast you think and how slow time goes), "Aww, crap, were going to go into the grass ... better be slow enough or the gear's gonna collapse!"

I put my head in my arms and braced on the seat in front of my for what I was certain was going to be a "bumpy" end to this short flight (afterall, the nosewheel DID get airborne). But no, we stayed on the runway and came to a firm stop; far more abrupt than when the gate marshaller goes from "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon to full STOP" in a half second.

Plane came to a stop, I looked at my wife, who seemed more concerned with my impromtu brace position than our situation, and said, "Aww, crap, we're gonna have hot brakes for sure, at least. We're gonna have to get off the plane. Wanna go for a ride on the slide?" I get a blank stare.

Next I'm thinking, I know what they're going to say, "Leave your bags behind." But I'm not leaving my laptop under the seat ... my next thought was interrupted by what I think was a recorded announcement, "ACTION STATIONS", in English, on an Airbus, Lufthansa, in Germany. Hmmm.

Very shortly after the recording the pilot comes on and in German (my high school Deutsch ist nicht so gut) said something. Then in English says, "We've had a malfunction and the brakes may be hot. Flight attendents prepare for evacuation."

But then nothing ... the fire trucks arrive and I saw a couple of firemen under the wings, checking the brakes I presumed. Shortly after we taxied to an open area of the ramp where we did deplane via airstairs, not the slide. "Bummer", I thought.

From the bus they brought out for us I could see large fans blowing on the brakes. Standard for hot brakes. I guess they weren't real hot though, as brakes take about 15 minutes to reach their peak temps, and the firemen didn't seem too concerned.

Couple of lessons:
Footwear -- I've always believed in keeping my shoes on until airborne and wearing real shoes, not flip flops or sandles. Wouldn't want to run away from a burning plane barefoot!
Passport and/or ID -- Keep it in my pocket! Both our passports were in a rollaboard in the overhead and not with the laptop at our feet.

Kudos to the LH pilots and the FAs, all very professional. The next day's Berliner Zeitung had a headline which translated "Tragedy Averted at Tegel". Turns out we had a simple engine failure just prior to rotation, not the Canary Island Pan Am/KLM thing I imagined. Tragedy averted? I suppose, but maybe it was a slow news day too.

And I'd like someone qualified in A300s to tell me it's SOP to abort DURING roation!
Old Jun 7, 2008, 2:12 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Yes, happens often to me. Last week on the KLU approach the pilot decided to abort his VFR landing because of some clouds at the final approach and he took the ILS approach from the other direction.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, NW SE
I've been on one aborted takeoff. An indicator light of some sort came on, and they stopped to take care of it. Nobody seemed scared or nervous, mostly just annoyed. It was pretty interesting hearing them rev up the engines to test them a bit before we tried again. Second takeoff was all good and we were only 20 minutes delayed.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:22 pm

My only aborted landing was at Seattle back in '03, the pilot claimed there was another plane landing too close ahead of us so we climbed and went for take two. As this decent took place we started to climb again, explained by air traffic control changing runway on us...

Third time lucky and we landed.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Twice Aborted Take Off:
1) AMS-PEK about 5 years ago, pheasant flew into one of the engines. New plane required, 5 hour delay
2) Last month PEK-Chongqing (China), some warning light. 2 hour delay

Once aborted Landing:
Somewhere in Mediterranean I can't remember - MAN about 10 years ago. Stormy October day, got down to couple of hundred feet I guess, then powered up. Pilot came on intercom: "We felt that air traffic brought us in a bit steep so we're going round for another try"

nickyboy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.