Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2008, 6:41 am

anyne ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

I've been throgh a missed aprach/landing. It was weird flying over the runway of SAN.
Old May 25, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
A go round that was initated about 300 AGL in a 757. FOD on runway from departing jet shredding a bunch of birds.
As a private pilot, I have done lots of rejected take offs and go rounds in training, and a couple of go rounds for real. The go rounds were because I wasn't happy with my approach. Much easier to swallow the pride and go round, rather than make a messed up landing. Air France knows about that, the pilots didn't go round in YYZ when they should have, went off the end of the runway.

When flying commercial, I always cinch up my seatbelt for TO and landing, loosen it as soon as airborne. A rejected takeoff in a jet could be a very sudden stop. When landing in a jet, braking can be quite severe at times, if they go off the runway, gear collapse etc, sudden stop would occur as well, hence a tight seatbelt at these critical phases.
Old May 25, 2008, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Yes, I've been on an aborted takeoff on a AA flight. Nothing too spectacular, but speeding up, and then breaking pretty soon afterwards. Engine light came on, I think.
Old May 25, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Absolutely...I was going to say 'many times'...slight exageration...the worst was probably a Continental flight from London Gatwick some 14/15 years or more back...just cleared the end of the runway, disappeared behind the trees and hills etc...and just made it up...eventually. I wouldn't be here writing this else. (It was nicknamed the 'HedgeClipper' service thereafter.) And then Northwest, Detroit to London...just before the point of no return over the Atlantic...all asleep..big bang...dropped for what seemed like ages....and an emergency landing in Boston after the Captain was told to return to the US. And then a flight coming into LAX, shot straight back up...'sorry' says someone up front, 'we were on a collision course with a plane about to take off'. And then there was Minneapolis, sorry New Orleans, (Minnepolis was a different story,) where an engine caught fire...'everybody out!'. You want me to go on ?! My wife says I should write a book. I've experienced a death in flight, (not me I hasten to add,) sat next to a handcuffed prisoner who actually seemed a nice guy...(like my neighbour), until he casually mentioned he'd 'accidently murderd his wife'...accidently ? And then I remember the pilot
who made an emergency landing in Phoenix I think, because somebody wouldn't own up to smoking in one of the toilets...what a delay that was after all being interrogated. Enough..enough.
Old May 25, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Mike,

Can you please post your upcoming itin so we can avoid flying with you?!

T
Old May 25, 2008, 8:52 am

Have attempted to land at SDF with weather closing in. Pulled up at what seemed like the last seconded, went around and tried again. Same thing happened. A bit scary by now. Ended up at CVG and home by taxi. Delta paid $156 for the ride but would not let me rent a car for around $100! Took almost two hours to get the taxi.
Old May 25, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Maybe merge this thread into one of the numerous ones already available in this forum ?
Old May 25, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
I can't wait that one of those incidents happen to me. Hopefully I'll survive.
Old May 25, 2008, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't we discuss this fairly recently?

I've been through both aborted take-offs and go-around landings. No big deal, really. The FAs didn't even look up from their People magazines.
Old May 25, 2008, 12:30 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by PTravel
Didn't we discuss this fairly recently?

I've been through both aborted take-offs and go-around landings. No big deal, really. The FAs didn't even look up from their People magazines.
This was recently discussed, so I am merging the two threads.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 25, 2008, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
3 go-arounds one of which was in LAX and we had nearly touched down.
Pilot just said that "it got a bit close on the ground"

1 aborted take-off on a CX 747 heading from HKG to LAX. Pulled off the runway after about 200 yards. Smoke detector went off in the cargo area.

oh, and I have sat next to a hand cuffed guy too being deported back to Romania. Also witnessed a punch up in an SQ J cabin (poor little SQ FA got a punch in the face, pax arrested upon arrival at NRT.) and unfortunately been on a flight where a person died. Other events included plane being struck by lightning during take-off (UA IAD-MIA, quite scary as all the lights go out until the captain puts the fuse back in, lots of screaming in the cabin "we're all going to die!") and have also been on a flight where the engine caught fire upon landing (UA 737 at ORD).

Last edited by Rambuster; May 25, 2008 at 12:46 pm
Old May 25, 2008, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
3 go-arounds one of which was in LAX and we had nearly touched down.
Pilot just said that "it got a bit close on the ground"

1 aborted take-off on a CX 747 heading from HKG to LAX. Pulled off the runway after about 200 yards. Smoke detector went off in the cargo area.

oh, and I have sat next to a hand cuffed guy too being deported back to Romania. Also witnessed a punch up in an SQ J cabin (poor little SQ FA got a punch in the face, pax arrested upon arrival at NRT.) and unfortunately been on a flight where a person died. Other events included plane being struck by lightning during take-off (UA IAD-MIA, quite scary as all the lights go out until the captain puts the fuse back in, lots of screaming in the cabin "we're all going to die!") and have also been on a flight where the engine caught fire upon landing (UA 737 at ORD).
Wow. Remind me never to fly with you.
Old May 25, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Hey Rambuster, weero has logged into your account
Old May 25, 2008, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
No aborted take offs, but one aborted landing. THAT was fun, and probably the trigger of my current flight phobia.
Old May 25, 2008, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Engine light came on, I think.
Does it by chance say CHECK ENGINE SOON?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.