FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?
Old May 25, 2008, 8:45 am
mike turnbull

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Absolutely...I was going to say 'many times'...slight exageration...the worst was probably a Continental flight from London Gatwick some 14/15 years or more back...just cleared the end of the runway, disappeared behind the trees and hills etc...and just made it up...eventually. I wouldn't be here writing this else. (It was nicknamed the 'HedgeClipper' service thereafter.) And then Northwest, Detroit to London...just before the point of no return over the Atlantic...all asleep..big bang...dropped for what seemed like ages....and an emergency landing in Boston after the Captain was told to return to the US. And then a flight coming into LAX, shot straight back up...'sorry' says someone up front, 'we were on a collision course with a plane about to take off'. And then there was Minneapolis, sorry New Orleans, (Minnepolis was a different story,) where an engine caught fire...'everybody out!'. You want me to go on ?! My wife says I should write a book. I've experienced a death in flight, (not me I hasten to add,) sat next to a handcuffed prisoner who actually seemed a nice guy...(like my neighbour), until he casually mentioned he'd 'accidently murderd his wife'...accidently ? And then I remember the pilot
who made an emergency landing in Phoenix I think, because somebody wouldn't own up to smoking in one of the toilets...what a delay that was after all being interrogated. Enough..enough.