Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Old May 13, 2008, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT

AA125 STN-JFK on Sunday 11-May-2008
767-300 with very light passenger load, less than 1/2 full.

This was something I've never experienced before... have you?

About 10-15 secs after we started our takeoff roll, before the engines reached full power, the pilot aborted the takeoff and slowly moved to the next taxiway exit from the runway.
The pilot told us that a light had come on that shouldn't have come on. Then it took about 15 minutes for the crew (with flight manuals) and maintenance base staff (in Tulsa) to decide to reboot one of the redundant nav computers. We ended up arriving only about 30mins late at JFK.

Do AA763's use MS Windows, or what? rebooting computer to clear an error light... scary thought huh?
Old May 13, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA 2P, Bonvoy Gold
Have experienced two aborted takeoffs approaching V2 speed. Rare but this does happen. In both cases we had to get a new plane so consider yourself lucky.
Old May 13, 2008, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by LAXjoe
Have experienced two aborted takeoffs approaching V2 speed. Rare but this does happen. In both cases we had to get a new plane so consider yourself lucky.
You are already in the air at V2. it has to be V1.

--J
Shamrock55 likes this.
Old May 13, 2008, 2:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Have experience it only once in the past 40 years of flying.

Nevertheless this is not an aa specific topic so will be sending it on it's journey to Tbuzz without abort.
Old May 13, 2008, 2:50 pm

When the 767s were very new, there was a known bug in the glass cockpit that could cause all the screens to go blank. I was in an aborted takeoff for exactly that reason. At the time, Boeing hadn't identified the bug, so the work-around was to reboot the cockpit.

But that was back in the mid-1980s. I would think that that bug was long since found and fixed. This is probably something else.

And no, the 767s don't run Windows. Windows didn't even exist back then!
Old May 13, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA 2P, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jcf27
You are already in the air at V2. it has to be V1.

--J
Correct, approaching V1. That's what happens when I try too hard to sound all knowledgable
Old May 13, 2008, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
I have experienced an aborted takeoff from nearly full-speed on an RJ before at ORD. It was about 10 yrs ago, and apparently a maintenance light came on at the last second. Taxied over to a remote part of the airport where maintenance inspected & reset something, then we were back in the air - about 45 mins delayed.
Old May 13, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Once on a NW B753 taking off from Lax. The pilot told us it was a "red light" error. We took a twenty minute delay.
Once on a UA B777 taking off from Lhr. The pilot told us it was a problem with the brakes. We took a one hour delay.
Old May 13, 2008, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've experienced 3 aborted take-offs and 2 go-rounds on landing. No big deal.
Old May 13, 2008, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Had it happen three times I recall

The first time was maybe 10 years ago BUF-LGA on a US 737. We had the nose going up, alarms went off and we came to a screeching halt at the end of the runway followed up a lot of fire trucks. The "A-Side" engine started to blow flames out the back. So I'm pretty happy we aborted the take off.

The second time was heading from IAD to LHR on a UA 763. We were at the starting line, engines were going, there was a lot of chatter from an RJ that had no landing gear indicator. On Ch 9 the tower asked my UA flight kindly move up and clear the runway. With that quite a few vehicles could be seen coming upon the runway with spot lights, Ch 9 went dead. A few minutes later an RJ made a really low pass and my flight pilot came on the PA and said that anyone who was listening to Ch 9 can relax the what we heard was resolved, all is well and we'd be airborne in a few minutes (and we were).

The third time was a few weeks ago flying NRT-ORD on a UA 772. We were at what sounded like full engine power when the plane started slow down and we rolled back out to the taxi-way. Channel 9 went dead within a second of the engines going full power. All the pilot said on the PA was "Uhhh, we had a slight problem, nothing major..............we're number 3 for take off." That was it.
Old May 13, 2008, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two or three times. Once on a 767 (warning light) and another on a 737 (flight plan change).
Old May 13, 2008, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold
I was there for that, too

It is interesting when you're rolling and it powers down. I was hoping they'd fixed it since were were headed out over water. Guess they did as we got to JFK ok. My JFK-LAX 117 had an equipment issue that kept us just off the gate at JFK for several minutes. It was my last MR for EXP and I was beginning to wonder if the MR was cursed. Wish I'd known billgrates3 was onboard.

Originally Posted by billgrates3
AA125 STN-JFK on Sunday 11-May-2008
767-300 with very light passenger load, less than 1/2 full.

This was something I've never experienced before... have you?

About 10-15 secs after we started our takeoff roll, before the engines reached full power, the pilot aborted the takeoff and slowly moved to the next taxiway exit from the runway.
The pilot told us that a light had come on that shouldn't have come on. Then it took about 15 minutes for the crew (with flight manuals) and maintenance base staff (in Tulsa) to decide to reboot one of the redundant nav computers. We ended up arriving only about 30mins late at JFK.

Do AA763's use MS Windows, or what? rebooting computer to clear an error light... scary thought huh?
Old May 13, 2008, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.27M Hyatt Diamond Marriott SLVR HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by billgrates3
I just about fell out of my chair laughing at this! Been in many many aborted take offs in years of flying the military and flying commercially. They don't make me too nervous anymore - it's the ones where the wheels hit and they do an unscheduled touch & go with max power climb-out while moaning, "oh crap oh crap oh crap" that make me nervous!

By the way...the first thing Microsoft makes that doesn't suck??? It'll be a vaccuum!

A proud member of the Mac-Conspiracy!
Old May 13, 2008, 11:11 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by adzel
And no, the 767s don't run Windows. Windows didn't even exist back then!
The computers in the 757/767 are no where near powerful enough to run Windows.

Originally Posted by sefrischling
The first time was maybe 10 years ago BUF-LGA on a US 737. We had the nose going up, alarms went off and we came to a screeching halt at the end of the runway
You are comitted to the takeoff BEFORE the nose is lifted (called rotation). It may have felt as though the nose was going up but if you really did abort after rotation it is unlikely that the airplane was in a condition that would ever allow it to fly again by the time you came to a stop.

The "A-Side" engine started to blow flames out the back.
The "A-Side"? The technical term for that is "left side".
Old May 14, 2008, 1:31 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
a few times, more then five... but many many more aborted landings then take off's but in the islands that is common place for us....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.