Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Well.... Today I had another aborted landing, once again with GOL and once again trying to land at JOI (Joinville, Southern Brasil) It was GOL flight 1380 from CGH to JOI. Explanation from the cockpit was "no ideal conditions" for landing. Second time that happens to me on the same flight, with the same airline at the same airport in less than one year. Ill start thinking about flying to FLN or NVT and take a bus.........
Old May 27, 2008, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yesterday was a new one on me: my first emergency landing. On a US flight from SFO to CLT, one of the engines picked up a strong vibration and had to be shut down. We did the landing on one engine. It was no big deal, except the pilot explained to us why he had called in an emergency so that we wouldn't be alarmed by the all the emergency vehicles lining the runway. We didn't have to assume emergency positions and the FAs were instructed not to take any special precautions. Everyone was calm and it was just one of those, "well, how interesting" moments.
Old May 27, 2008, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
On my first solo flight, I did a go-around on my first attempt at landing. I was nervous and came in a little fast and high. Perfect on the second attempt.
Old May 27, 2008, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
Yesterday was a new one on me: my first emergency landing. On a US flight from SFO to CLT, one of the engines picked up a strong vibration and had to be shut down. We did the landing on one engine. It was no big deal, except the pilot explained to us why he had called in an emergency so that we wouldn't be alarmed by the all the emergency vehicles lining the runway. We didn't have to assume emergency positions and the FAs were instructed not to take any special precautions. Everyone was calm and it was just one of those, "well, how interesting" moments.
We lost an engine on a 747 on UA from Denver to San Francisco after returning previously for another issue (actually 3rd push back and 2nd take off). We had 20 feet of flames come from an engine and a little boy yelling "Daddy, daddy... the plane is on fire!" Most people were stunned, one woman picked up an airphone and called home. A young stewardess came running down the aisle trying to figure out what to do. An older stewardess coached her and us through the process.

Pilot came on the intercom and said "As some of you may have noticed we had an incident. Everything is under control and WE ARE RETURNING TO DENVER" I went home and drank a large glass of jack daniels and got up the next morning to get on another 747.

That was "interesting".
Old May 27, 2008, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by envgeo
We lost an engine on a 747 on UA from Denver to San Francisco after returning previously for another issue (actually 3rd push back and 2nd take off). We had 20 feet of flames come from an engine and a little boy yelling "Daddy, daddy... the plane is on fire!" Most people were stunned, one woman picked up an airphone and called home. A young stewardess came running down the aisle trying to figure out what to do. An older stewardess coached her and us through the process.

Pilot came on the intercom and said "As some of you may have noticed we had an incident. Everything is under control and WE ARE RETURNING TO DENVER" I went home and drank a large glass of jack daniels and got up the next morning to get on another 747.

That was "interesting".
Indeed. It's strange -- perhaps because I know enough about planes to know that they can safely fly and land on one engine, and the likelihood of losing the second engine in the same way (I'm sure we threw a fan blade or sucked in a pigeon -- something like that) was extremely low, I wasn't in the least bit concerned or worried. I think a measure of the trust I had in the process was I didn't think to call my wife, which I certainly would have done if I thought I was in any danger.
Old May 27, 2008, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA, DL, Marriott, Hilton
My emergency landing story

Had an emergency landing in the mid-90s, flight from PHX to IAD (I believe it was UA, could have been US). We just started descending (in a controlled manner) until the pilot came on and said that there was an engine problem and we needed to land at STL. Two or three hours later, after I'd missed my first connection to PHL, we were airborne again. Upon arrival at IAD, we pulled up to the gate and the jetway wouldn't extend. We had to back out and go to another gate. This is when I missed the next connecting flight to PHL. Wound up being several hours late into PHL, but better late than never.
Old May 27, 2008, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
when flying from iron mountain, mi to ORD on a beechcraft, we had an aborted take off due to a deer running across the runaway. that was fun.
Old May 28, 2008, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I had an aborted landing in Kosrae on the CO island hopper in Micronesia once...those island airports don't tend to have long runways. Really made my ears pop.
junglematt likes this.
Old May 28, 2008, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
Indeed. It's strange -- perhaps because I know enough about planes to know that they can safely fly and land on one engine, and the likelihood of losing the second engine in the same way (I'm sure we threw a fan blade or sucked in a pigeon -- something like that) was extremely low, I wasn't in the least bit concerned or worried. I think a measure of the trust I had in the process was I didn't think to call my wife, which I certainly would have done if I thought I was in any danger.
As previously mentioned, I have a pilots license so I know the drill. Once the fire was out, I just hoped we hadn't severed any hydraulic lines. I know we could fly on 1 engine, let alone 3. In fact, the agent the next day said the flew the plane to SFO in the morning for repair (no passengers)
Old May 28, 2008, 8:35 am

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Any abort/irrops you can walk away from is ^
Originally Posted by robhakari
.. had an aborted take off due to a deer running across the runaway.
runaway ~ ~ is that you, Ron White ??
/.
Old May 30, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Aluminum Foil
STL > PIT on my way back to PHL last Christmas. It was dusk, and we started our turn on final, in smooth air, but something never quite seemed settled. I sat there thinking about how it just "felt" strange.

All of a sudden full power and climb out. Few minutes later, the captain came on to say they "had a miscommunication with the tower and another aircraft on approach."

A while ago, ORD>LHR, two missed approaches due to fog. On the third time, we must have been right at minimums, touched down well past the threshold with a pretty good thump followed by lots of shaking and a stop that must have left a flat spot or two on the tires (or tyres ).
Old May 30, 2008, 8:09 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I have been through two aborted takeoffs and a handful of missed approaches. If you are on a United flight that has Channel 9 on, they are actually somewhat interesting to experience as you have a good understanding of what is happening as it is taking place. If you are forced to experience either of these events on an MD-80 (AA), like I have, they are not as fun.
Old May 30, 2008, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA GS
About 4 years ago, SFO-BOS, aborted takeoff. We started accelerating down the runway, and then abruptly the pilot hit the brakes. People had books and papers out and everything was flung forward. Pilot came on shortly after and informed us that a light came on and she decided to abort instead of take off and then come back.
Old May 31, 2008, 12:59 am

I can't remember any aborted take off at high speed but I have had a number of missed approaches, maybe about 10 in the last couple of years? Various reasons - weather below the minima, air traffic control stuff-up, the aircraft on the runway being slow to take-off.
Old May 31, 2008, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I remember an aborted landing attempt several years ago at DCA (as if it weren't scary enough on its own to take-off and land there). We actually touched the runway for a few seconds before ascending again, circling back, and landing. Apparently there was another plane on the runway and we had to ascend to avoid crashing into it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.