Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
My only aborted landing was 2 years ago LAX-MIA on AA.

It was a redeye flight and the plane almost landed at MIA (could see the landing lights passing from my window), but at the last minute the pilot pulled up again and made its way to FLL instead. The pilot didn't say anything other than "thick fog prevented us from landing at MIA" so we spent an hour at FLL waiting for the fog at MIA to clear. Those that wanted to get off at FLL were allowed to deplane so long as they didn't have any checked bags. I think about ten people just got off at FLL. After an hour, the plane was able to make its short flight to MIA again and of course I missed my connecting flight.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:00 am

On my DFW-DCA flight on Saturday, we were coming in on the south approach when the engines spooled up again and we began to climb. The pilot got on the intercom and reported that the winds had shifted, so we had to land from the north instead.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: US Airways - Platinum
I've encountered one of each.

Aborted landing in LAS due to high winds. We were within 3-5 seconds of touching down heading west amid a lot of turbulence when the pilot pulled up and hit the throttle. On the intercom he said that the winds were beyond the threshold of a safe landing. Made a big swing and landed towards the north on a different runway.

Aborted takeoff last summer at FAT. Got just about up to takeoff speed when the pilot hit the brakes and took us back to the terminal. One of the wheels overheated. It made for a long delay as a replacement had to be flown in from PHX, but as they say, takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:27 pm

Was off last Friday and took a trip to IKEA in Elizabeth, NJ with my 11 year old daughter. As we were having a Swedish Meatball dinner we watched the takeoffs and landings at EWR as they are lined up 6 deep in the sky on approach from IKEA's atrium. In comes an Alaska Air flight that everyone around us noticed was too high and too fast on decent. Maybe 100 feet off the ground the pilot gunned the engines and climbed away. Took about 20 minutes for him to go around and land successfully to the applause of the IKEA dinner guests.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
More of an emergency landing.

Years ago I was on-board an Air Force C-141 rotating out of the old Rhein-Main Air Base across from FRA. It was full of troops.

We hit the 10,000 foot point and an main climbed over the heads of the troops to the back of the plane*. A few minutes later another went towards the rear, moving very quickly. The first returned to the front and a few seconds an officer moved to the rear. I craned neck to the back and saw the Airman pointing out the window very and the officer nodded very excitedly. A few minute later we went into a sharp turn and returned to FRA and landed heavy. Seems one of the starboard engines had sprung a pretty major leak.

* Imagine 4 columns of cargo net stretching from the front to the rear. The inboard paxs face out and the outboard pax face in. Inboard and outboard pax knees are, to some degree, interlocked. Inboard pax are sitting back to back. To reach the rear with a plane load of troops you have to climb over the heads of the inboard pax, using pipes that run the length of the plane that are used to provide the upper support upper part of the cargo net.

Seating kind of looks like this:
o-outboard
i=inboard
No aisle when full

oiio
oiio
oiio
oiio
oiio
etc, etc
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:04 pm

Aborted landing. About 15 yrs ago I was traveling to TPE (don't remember which airline, maybe China Airlines). As we were approaching the runway, the plane suddenly climbed and veered off. I was sitting in front of the FA in her jumpseat and I saw her expression change from pleasant disinterest to one of extreme concern. After a couple of minutes the cap came on the intercom and apologized; saying that they had approached the runway from the wrong direction.

The "fun" part was feeling the engines pushed to, I assume, full throttle and the accompanying climb and sharp turn. And the look on the FA's face was priceless. I wasn't a member of FT back then so I didn't think to ask for compensation.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Several aborted landings but not any aborted take-offs as of yet.

One flight LAX-DEN on United (777) had two attempts to land before we completed it on the third pass. The first two times we approached, were close to the ground and then the noise of the engines revving up and the feel of the gravity/inertia (whatever the physics of it are) pushing you back into your seat.

It was quite a bumpy flight and I was in the exit row. Was also observing the FA the whole time. I figured if she didn't seem overly concerned, I shouldn't be as well.

One time in advance of coming into SAN we were warned by the captain that it might happen - that the weather was causing us to potentially touch down too far down the runway or something.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Aborted landing on Air France NCE-ORY last summer. You could tell he was way off on his approach from the get go. After he gunned it and went back up the Captain actually got on the PA and owned up to it saying he had misjudged the winds and botched the approach. Good old Air France...
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
probably 10 or so.....on to, blown tire, & compressor stall [sounds like blown tire[ iirc]......missed approaches for various reasons....
Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:31 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond. Skyteam Elite Plus. Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
1 aborted takeoff on VN at HUI, pilot never gave a reason. 2 aborted landings; 1 at DOH on QR due to construction equipment on the runway and the other at CAI on KE due to poor visability.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:23 am

I experienced a go around last week. It was a bit concerning because we thrust up again and then the pilot announced the "go around". The first thing that shot into my head was that we were going to have to circle for ages and then run out of fuel - how stupid. Been watching too much die hard 2
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
One aborted take off, so far. The plane had started it's take off run but then slowed down and stopped as there was some debris on the runway, later announced as being birds. The plane just left via a taxi-way and went back to the start of the runway whilst someone had the fun job of clearing the mess.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Had an aborted landing last Wednesday. SAT-SLC on a DL CR7. We were at 2k feet (maybe?) and pulled back up to circle around and try again. Never did find out why.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by stbeeman
... it's the ones where the wheels hit and they do an unscheduled touch & go with max power climb-out while moaning, "oh crap oh crap oh crap" that make me nervous!
Happened to us on a nighttime landing in MCO about 10 years ago. My little girl and I were returning home to EYW and we had to transfer through MCO. Our US flight was just touching down when the pilot gave it full throttle and up, up up we went--very frightening! Pilot came on with a too-hearty chuckle and explained that there was a herd of deer in the runway (!) and they had to be cleared off before landing. Of course my daughter was all excited and wanted to "do it again" so she could see the deer.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
1) an aborted landing in MSP on NWA 757. @ 10 seconds from touchdown we hot the gas pedal and did a circle and landed. Strange thing was the pilot saidg nothing. I aske hi as I walked off and he just said a routine procedure.

2) on an NWA DC 10 from MSP-PHX. More of medical emergency. Diverted to Omaha and that plane went straight into the runway, no circling and fast and steep descent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.