Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
"

A compressor stall is not the same thing as an engine stall in a reciprocating engine. The stall is very brief, just the 'bang', then the engine continues to run. If the circumstances causing the stall continue then you'll have multiples stalls, 'bang...bang...bang...bang...", until the cause is removed.

The #2 engine on the 727 was prone to compressor stalls due to the S-duct through which the incoming air had to pass.

Just so - memory does indeed fade a bit. The first was a rapid series of loud bangs, sounded like a tire blowing out, except there was no seat-of-the-pants evidence of a blowout. The second was a single report, indicating as you said that the situation was resolved immediately. The possibility of an early spring swim in the then - (and still- ?) polluted Passaic River or Newark Bay was unnerving ...

Thanks for the clarification.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:21 am

Just happened to me..AA 15 JFK-SFO 5/11
Old May 15, 2008, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Take a look at this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...43939212729970

Someone filmed an aborted take off and has subtitled it some really annoying comments..
Thanks for the video, but man........that guy made the most annoying video ever. If he was my seatmate, oh man.... I don't know what I'd do.
Old May 15, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
I was on a Delta flight in Mobile, Ala., when a bird flew in the engine just before rotation. The pilot slammed on the brakes and blew out all the tires. We then sat on the plane forever in the summer heat, until finally airport employees started driving out in their cars and taking people off in twos and threes out the back door (coach passengers first, I might add). You would think the first class passengers would get off first, because as it ended up, the line for rebooking for first class passengers was at least two hours long because all the coach passengers got there first.

I ended up pushing my way on a flight to the then-Delta DFW hub that was leaving half full, and then routed on to Memphis. The gate agent just let me on the plane. Delta didn't have many flights out of Mobile and they could have gotten a bunch of people on that flight, but there seemed to be no plan in place for handling things when they went wrong.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Happened to me once on a Varig's MD-11 departing from GRU to CDG and we returned to the finger for inspection. We took of an hour later.
Also have experienced two aborted landing attempt. First one on a British Airways 747 at EZE 6 years ago coming from LON and the second one (and scary as I was with my little daughter) recently on a GOL 737-700 trying to land at JOI (Joinville, Brasil) coming from CGH.
BTW 5 days ago I had one of the worst landings in my life on an Air Europa 737-800 at BCN coming from MAD. Absolutly overspeed. We hit the floor 3 or 4 times before landing... Lots of people yelling
Old May 15, 2008, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Three times. Twice shortly after starting to roll and we just went around back in line. Both times it was a problem with aircraft on intersecting runways (SFO). One time it was further along and we had to park and let the brakes cool to give it another try. I don't remember the reason we aborted.

Three go-arounds also, with a total of about 1200 segments.
Old May 16, 2008, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by CPRich
Three times. Twice shortly after starting to roll and we just went around back in line. Both times it was a problem with aircraft on intersecting runways (SFO). One time it was further along and we had to park and let the brakes cool to give it another try. I don't remember the reason we aborted....clip
Something similar a month or two ago on an LH flight leaving Frankfurt. We had just started our roll when the pilot hit the brakes hard. After 20-30 seconds he reported a small plane had made an incursion onto our runway. Since it was fairly late at night with minimal traffic, we just went back around again and took off. The whole delay couldn't have been more than five minutes.
Old May 16, 2008, 8:18 am

Yes twice on the same plane -- when UA was still flying DC-10's SEA-ORD.
The way it was explained to us, one engine could not reach a certain critical thrust power and they were required to abort. About four hours later all was well and the third take off was the charm.
Old May 16, 2008, 4:39 pm

Had it happen once on WN. Ended up unloading plane, sending us to another gate, and sending us out on another plane. It was kind of a mess with the A, B, C boarding thing, and we'd already had a last minute gate change before the flight, but people actually handled it rather well.

It was funny because after the gate change mess everyone was a bit on edge and happy to finally get going. I was already drifting off into a nap as we rolled out when I felt a little nudge from my seat mate. His English wasn't good, but he saw that we were returning to the gate and knew it wasn't good, even tho' he couldn't make out what the captain was saying. I woke up and translated...basically it was "You're hosed again."

Had two aborted landings over the course of my travels too.
Old May 17, 2008, 11:50 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by Deacon
... on an AA 727 (yes, that long ago) departing EWR. Compressor stall on #2 with a loud BANG just before rotation - aborted takeoff, taxied around to the gate area - no issues reported to us pax. Got back in line, uneventful take-off roll, just after rotation & before starting the clearing turn, another loud BANG as #2 stalled again. Apparently it restarted with no problem as we continued our journey. Flight deck offered the opinion that both were caused by unusual winds at EWR. Just what I wanted to know, heading home to OKC ... the windiest city in the country (Chicago's rep notwithstanding).
Similar experience on UA (OMA-DSM-LGA) ... maybe 1982 or so, except we tried twice.

After the first takeoff attempt, the pilot explained that there was an oil pressure indication that came on just for a moment. Taxied back to the runway and tried again, same results. Went back to the gate and waited for a mechanic to drive from DSM. About 2 1/2 hours later, the mechanic explained that the oil bypass cut in as the filter was clogged. Replaced the filter. We then taxied back to the active with the mechanic on board, and cowling off the engine for a full power run-up. Everything checked out, went back, replaced the cowling, and proceeded... about 4 hours late.
Old May 17, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA MM
A few years ago, a UA A320 out of ORD, one of those hot steamy (away from the Lake, anway) days in Chicago. Plane rolls, engines are spinning fast, AC kicks in strong, a lot of condensation. Pax screams "fire", FA knocks on cockpit door (after a pause) and we stop, I mean, STOP, fast, a lot of braking.

Back to the terminal (not just back into the queue). As I get off the plane, I listen to the pilot speaking with the maintenance guys. They are telling him he's not taking that plane anywhere today. At least three of the tires had gone flat (I gather they have 'heat plugs' to allow non-explosive release of pressure due to overheating). There is some talk about how fast we'd been going, "V zero" mentioned - don't know what that means. The mechanic says "well those brakes are rated to stop the plane at that speed - once".

It was a tad scary as I had my 4 yr old son with me, he'd just finally gone to sleep, and I was making damn sure I had a good evac plan in my head in case there was anything more going on. Though I was pretty sure there was no fire, you never know what someone may be seeing out the window.

Kudos to UA who got us out on an identical aircraft (it being ORD) with only an hour's delay.

I discussed it with the FA, asking if it was a tough position to be in, as the bogus hard stop clearly cost the company a bundle. She said, no, she was just doing it by the book, and said she was glad to have proceedures to follow to not have to even consider issues like that.
Old May 17, 2008, 1:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
On a CO flight from JAX to Houston we were on takeoff roll and ran into a cloud of birds. We must have been pretty close to V1 as the stopping power that kicked in was pretty dramatic. It was one of the few times my seatbelt was really put to good use.

When we got back to the gate the pilot got out to check the engines and then came back on the PA and said that we had a birdstrike and we would have to be put on another flight.

When we all got off we could see big holes and gaps in the left engines front fans.
Old May 17, 2008, 9:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
There is some talk about how fast we'd been going, "V zero" mentioned - don't know what that means.
Never heard of a V0. Normal takeoff has a V1, Vr and V2. Only V1 and Vr occur on the ground. You don't abort after V1.
Old May 17, 2008, 11:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG-75K & HYATT Diamond; former DL-DM, AA-PLT, US-PLT
Aborted landing:
I remember once in Oct '91 (?) on an AA flight, SEA-STL, 757 I recall, the airplane had fully touched down in a normal landing from the west on the runway nearest to the terminal, when suddenly it powered up and we lifted off really fast & steep. During the go-around over E. St. Louis & Alton, IL, the pilot came on an calmly said he'd give it another try and that the tower had unexpectedly called "runway conflict, lift off now". Certainly made for an interesting ride.
Old May 18, 2008, 5:35 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Have experienced three aborted takeoffs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.