Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Mine's probably SFJ. The runway length combined with the size of the plane I was on meant we were over water until seconds before landing.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
KLXY, but I've flown out of some tiny ones. I almost got a chance at a grass field in a two seater 'crop duster' but that fell through some decade ago.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:24 pm
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
I flew from Panama City to San Blas Archipelago. I certainly wouldn;t call it an airport. It was just a dirt landing strip.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The one that felt the smallest to me was Galway. I've flown to smaller airports I think, but I guess I expect island airports to be small, but I wasn't expecting Galway in Ireland to be quite as small as it was!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
VIS. Flew out of there last month. I was the only paid passenger, the other was an employee. Over to LAX and was really bumpy. The waiting area was smaller than my living room and the TSA was in the back somewhere, until the plane was about to land, then they came out to scan. Of course, I was randomly selected for enhanced screening. They went thru my luggage, lol. I was the only passenger! Anyways, it was a funny experience.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Bethel, Alaska. BET
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage; Carlson Goldpoints.
Meigs Field/Chicago

I haven't read the entire thread, but I searched it.

Hasn't anyone mentioned Meigs Field on Chicago's lakefront? Closed now, of course, but had scheduled service in the days of regulation.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:03 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
With a commercial plane, the smalest by far was some place between Fairbanks and Whitehorse. It's about 15 years ago now, so I can't remember the name of the airport, but we stopped there to drop off mail or something like that. The "terminal" was just a small cabin and I don't think there was a tower or even ground staff there.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: Priority Club, HHonors, United
St. Paul Island, AK
Dutch Harbor, AK
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by stut
KKE - Kerikeri (Bay of Islands) in NZ. The captain was the baggage handler.

The bit that surprised me most, though, was that there was no security.

That's hilarious
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:20 am

LNO - Leonora Western Australia.

Population about 400, most flights are mining fly in fly out workers, and Royal Flying Doctor. Every now and then a plane has to do a fly by of the runway to scare the kangaroos off it before they can land.

The local butcher sells the airline tickets and operates the airport, he closes the butchers shop a couple of times a day to go out and check people in.

Note the first officer standing on a stepladder to re-fuel the plane

Note the first office (a different one - maybe) standing on a luggage trolley to unload luggage

Just a general shot of the landscape (that's a mine dump in the background)
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA
Puerto Princesa (PPS)
International Falls (INL)
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I didn't think FAT was that small (no pun intended). Has several gates at the terminal.

I've been to plenty of airports in NZ with just 1 gate, 1 short runway, tiny terminal, only small prop flights (even larger props can't use the airport).
Smallest airport I ever flew into Alexandra in NZ, so small it no longer exists and doesn't have a code.
Also Ovalau in Fiji was very small, plane to Suva took 6 people and lasted 12 minutes, first time I've ever been weighed rather than the bags. Flying back it rained so hard we had to descend to 100m above water so the pilot could see. Quite an experience but kind of lost it humour when the week after the exact same flight crashed and killed 4 people.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by burmans
Smallest airport I ever flew into Alexandra in NZ, so small it no longer exists and doesn't have a code.
Sure it does, it's ALR:

http://www.world-airport-codes.com/n...andra-133.html
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:34 pm

Ithaca, NY (ITH) - and before 9/11 and the rules changed, used to visit our air traffic controller friend in the tower in the evenings and watch the coyotes on the runway....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.