Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:00 pm

Although it is a large cargo airport, when I flew into LCK on the only scheduled passenger flight (Direct Air), it felt like a very small airport with a completely no-frills terminal.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Don't fly alot.. so I would have to say Cuba.. Juan G. Gomez
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, US
Ear Falls Ontario - CYMY - no longer exists. Flew into it several times in an Aztec on the scheduled run from YWG back in the 1980s. It had a 5,000' runway and a trailer that was always locked that was supposed to be the terminal. You got out of the aircraft and into a van that took you 17 miles into town. The pilot had to fly over the runway to make sure there weren't any moose in the way before landing.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CPRich
Talkeetna, Alaska on a private aircraft.
Yeah, that's a tiny airport. The dirt strip we landed on up-stream was even smaller, though.

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Papa Westray; it's also the shortest flight I've been on too at PPW-WRY at a whopping 2 mi

PPW's airport is more like an outhouse: http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5801892&nseq=4
Both sides are pretty small. On the Westray side the guy who runs the taxi service in town is also one of the ground handlers. He gets paid to drive to/from work. I believe the WRY side of that trip actually has multiple runways, though they are all quite small.

Some more on that flight here, too.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Plat; Hilton; SkyMiles
So, do airfields on military bases count?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA GLD
i think for me its PNQ ( Pune, India)
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Private island in Fiji. "airport" was a shack with no walls. Literally four posts and a hut roof. Funny, nothing in the hut either. Grass airstrip. Could have basically been any old grassy field...

Needless to say, security was light.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
McCall, Idaho (KMYL). 5-seater Cessna on scheduled service from McCall Air out of Boise. The airline's owner's wife and dog were on the plane, which gave an added sense of security. Got to fly in 1B (co-pilot's seat )
Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA GLD
Originally Posted by icedancer
McCall, Idaho (KMYL). 5-seater Cessna on scheduled service from McCall Air out of Boise. The airline's owner's wife and dog were on the plane, which gave an added sense of security. Got to fly in 1B (co-pilot's seat )
Nice, i hope u got a good view
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
The smallest airport I've ever flown out of is now KGC (Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, Australia). It only has regular flights to ADL and, according to Wikipedia, the terminal facilities include public toilets, a confectionary machine and visitor brochures!

With no security control, it felt like the good old days...

Last edited by josmon10; Oct 31, 2010 at 10:14 am
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:31 pm

Ssh
pfo
mle
sou
srq
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by jamieqpr
Ssh
pfo
mle
sou
srq
I'm a pretty savvy traveler, but I don't recognize any of these codes. Do you think you could provide the translation?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Papa Westray; it's also the shortest flight I've been on too at PPW-WRY at a whopping 2 mi

PPW's airport is more like an outhouse: http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5801892&nseq=4
I'm seriously considering a side trip to Papa Westray on my next trip over the pond. This is definitely adding to the intrigue! Apparently it's only 1 minute if the wind's in the right direction

On that short of a flight, how high do you get?

ETA: nevermind, found a video of the entire flight on youtube. Do want!

Last edited by phedre; Oct 31, 2010 at 6:16 pm
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:17 am

Programs: BD-G(RIP); BA-bronze
not the smallest I've flown into, but tonight I landed at PUB (Pueblo Colorado) from LAS on a full G4 MD83.

The airport is slightly larger than a couple I've been to on 19 seater props (e.g. ALS, BQU) but by coincidence within 4 minutes a fully loaded SY 737/8 landed from IBP (Bullhead City) and a couple of minutes after the commuter ZK B1900 from DEN.

I've never seen an airport as woefully overstretched. We had to queue on the the tarmac for 5-10 minutes to get into the terminal, and with 200+ people trying to get to a baggage reclaim belt 10 feet long in a 15ft by 15 ft room the chaos was inevitable!
Old Nov 1, 2010, 3:52 am

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
Originally Posted by maltasr
Originally Posted by jamieqpr
Ssh
pfo
mle
sou
srq
I'm a pretty savvy traveler, but I don't recognize any of these codes. Do you think you could provide the translation?
According to the reference list I have:

Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt (SSH)
Paphos, Cyprus (PFO)
Male, Maldives (MLE)
South Hampton, United Kingdom (SOU)
Sarasota, FL (SRQ)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.