Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'm going to say CYS (Cheyenne) -- A few Great Lakes puddle jumpers to DEN (and recently one RJ to DFW added), two rental car agencies, but no food except vending machines as the restaurant's out of business. One security lane, and then a "holding pen" - where we sat for three hours until DEN re-opened as it closed for weather just as we were taking off!
Old May 24, 2011, 12:39 pm

Hagerstown, Maryland. One gate. This was before 9/11, and there was no real security, although I'm sure there is now. I had to connect in Baltimore and my flight to Baltirmore was delayed so the airline just took the other passenger and I to Baltimore in a limo. The limo was far nicer than the Cessna I had on the return trip to Hagerstown from Baltimore.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:23 pm

Looks like a all in one airport

Originally Posted by stut
KKE - Kerikeri (Bay of Islands) in NZ. The captain was the baggage handler.

The bit that surprised me most, though, was that there was no security.
next time i will try to visit it.

I have been to NZ and love the country side

been to Christchurch before the quake

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 12, 2011 at 8:33 am Reason: To merge consecutive posts by same member.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Any number of the recent airstrips I've been to which are served by Hageland Aviation dba Era Alaska would probably qualify. Most have no buildings, unless you count one of those blue plastic portapotties as a terminal building.

SCC, BRW, ANI, and BET are among the larger of the airports I've seen lately. The smaller ones would be unimproved gravel airstrips like NUI, BTI, CHU, CKD, RDV, SLQ, RSH, KLG, and--pictured--SRV and AIN:

Last edited by jackal; Aug 12, 2011 at 2:29 am Reason: grammar
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
yes I had to look it up

(WVL)
Robert La Fleur Arpt
Waterville, ME
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:30 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
The relatively enormous Jersey. So big that i'm sure our flight from LGW was a 737, something disappointingly large anyway. Ironically Jersey security found a pair of scissors in my brothers bag which LGW had missed
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
I'll update my list with Tamarindo, Costa Rica. (TNO)

Officially, it could be rated as a toss-up with GKL (Great Kepple Island, Queensland, Australia), but I think air services have but cutback into GKL.

Edit to Add: Luggage Allowance depends on ticket with 5C. 1 checked pc at 40 lbs and one carry-on at 10 lbs max on Flex Ticket. For cheaper tickets, checked luggage allowances go down. Pax all weighed at check-in.

Here's a few pic's of TNO:

TNO Tarmac:

TNO check-in and waiting Area:

TNO Passenger Boarding:

View After Takeoff:

View of Cockpit Comm Radios & GPS

Last edited by SDF_Traveler; Aug 12, 2011 at 7:00 am
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
Any number of the recent airstrips I've been to which are served by Hageland Aviation dba Era Alaska would probably qualify. Most have no buildings, unless you count one of those blue plastic portapotties as a terminal building.
What is weight limit of luggage & carry-on that comes with tix? and did they weight passengers?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
Domestically, either HPN when it was just a Quonset hut back in 1993, or ACK (I know its the second busiest airport in MA, at least during the summer, but it has that small, coastal feel with a constant stream of 402s making the 10 min flight to the mainland)

Internationally, it would have to be NEV. I have a passport stamp from the outdoor immigration and customs desk there, right by the gate to exit from the tarmac to the islands only real road. Surprised I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
What is weight limit of luggage & carry-on that comes with tix? and did they weight passengers?
2x50lbs; no carry-ons, though (nowhere to stow them!). They didn't actually weigh us, but they did ask us how much we weighed when checking in or boarding. Kind of an odd experience!

Village check-in is interesting. No boarding passes or anything. The pilot walks up, says "Aniak? Follow me," and gets on the plane. They don't even make an effort to verify that your name is on the passenger manifest.

We actually flew in a 207 ANI-RSH-KLG-BET. I got the best "First Class" seat--I'll call it 1F, the copilot's seat! I had to promise not to touch anything.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Kryptonite
Puetro Villamil, Galapagos

This honor belongs to the 8-seater (including pilot/co) from Baltra in the Galapagos Islands to Puerto Villamil. Flew through clouds the whole way until we passed a few miles from a volcanic crater and into an amazing landing.

Here's the field--goes straight into a lavaflow: http://www.treehugger.com/isabela-airport.jpg
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Private: Probably Stewart, FL or Morristown, NJ

Commercial: Siem Reap, Pleiku or maybe some Caribbean island.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Clear Lake City, TX (CLC) and Virgin Gorda, BVI (VIJ).

CLC was the home of Houston Metro Airlines, which operated DHC-6 "Twin Otter" aircraft to/from IAH. This was basically a cross town shuttle service. Houston Metro constructed a STOLport landing strip in a cow pasture not too far from the Johnson Space Center. This landing strip was just long enough for the "Twin Otter". CLC was shut down many years ago and the land was developed for other suburban uses. Houston Metro changed their name to Metro Airlines and went on to fly regional turboprop aircraft services for AA and EA at various locations in the U.S. and the Caribbean, including Virgin Gorda.

The last time I landed in Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands, the airstrip was not even paved. I was in the back of a "Twin Otter". The terminal was a very small building with the Union Jack proudly fluttering in the breeze. I believe this little airport is now being improved by the UK government.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Bronze (Ye Gods no), AA Gold (never used)
Marthas vineyard
Old Aug 13, 2011, 2:03 pm

SCE : University park airport, state college, PA.
CAK: Akron Canton, OH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.