applause upon landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

applause upon landing?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:11 am

Programs: new united nobody
a small breath of relief maybe, after a very bumpy landing, but no clapping here.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:17 am

Programs: *A
LY to TLV a few times.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
Originally Posted by 00dave
Back in the late 80s in Italy and then again last year landing in Puerto Rico. Smooth landings. I guess they're just happy to be there. I don't recall that in the states.
Originally Posted by fly2w
In the 80's and early 90's on TWA from JFK to TLV
Going to and from Tel Aviv (1985) and Puerto Rico (2006) are the only places I've experienced this.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:01 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
My family used to take an annual trip to Florida and it seemed like people clapped at the end of every flight we took there, even as recent as 5 years ago.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I've experienced people clapping twice.
The first time was in Sept. 2001 when i flew on the first AA flight from BOS-LAX following the 9/11 attacks. People clapped all the way to the gate.
The second time was Aug. 2008 on an AA flight from FRA-DFW. It was the pilot's last flight and everyone clapped when we landed. We also got a water salute, which was a first for me.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:16 am

On almost all charter-flights (mostly to Gran Canarias, Thailand, Turkey or Cyprus) from Sweden or Norway, people clap their hands!

Funny tradition.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:27 am

I sometimes clap, because it´s fun, especially watching other people´s reactions. Not many seem to understand my habit.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
The only two times I've clapped upon touchdown in the USA was after spending over a year in various cities of the former Soviet Union (Tashkent and Bishkek).
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
I wouldn't clap when my plane lands (unless the Pilots does an incredible Job like landing after this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNR0a4TMxeA )

Actually the only time I can remember people clapping was last Month on FR to BGY. Not sure if it was because there were so many "first time fliers" on board, or if it really is typically Italian, as seen in this funny "Europe and Italy" Flash.. :-)
http://www.infonegocio.com/xeron/bruno/italy.html

But generally I find it embarassing. You wouldn't applaud to a busdriver bringing you safely to the station...
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles
Applause at the end of a flight

A few years ago, on an Air Canada flight within Canada (YYZ-YYC?) I recall a large Japanese Tour Group on Board. At touchdown, a loud thunderous roar of applause occured from this group. Could this be a tradition in Japan?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by producerkoof
I've experienced people clapping twice.
The first time was in Sept. 2001 when i flew on the first AA flight from BOS-LAX following the 9/11 attacks. People clapped all the way to the gate.
9/15/01 - First SAS flight out of Copenhagen to Chicago (and pretty much one of the first INTL flight at all). Legend is that I was on the first non-US carrier flight allowed into US airspace. Clapping all around several times, when we entered Canadian airspace (which apparently wasn't a given) and again when we entered US airspace (certainly not a given) and then upon landing.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:40 am

Thumbs up

On a flt from MEM to CHA. We went over ATL and they were having tornado's, the plane bucked like a rodeo bull, the pilot put the pedal to the metal, the flight attendant looked green. Soda's were on the ceiling and people were praying. The plane landed, everyone clapped, and quite a few kissed the ground when they got outside. A lot of prayers of thanks could be heard.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Yes it was a common practice during the old days - people did that on almost every flight back then.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by broog
The only time I can remember was in very windy weather and a tough landing...everyone was happy to be alive.
...happy to be on the ground is more like it IME.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We travel to Aruba every year. There is always applause on arrival. (Tears on the return.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.