applause upon landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

applause upon landing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Maybe it's just people clapping because other people are clapping. Don't underestimate the herd instinct.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: Lufthansa/Aeroplan/Air Berlin
Originally Posted by mandolino
Maybe it's just people clapping because other people are clapping. Don't underestimate the herd instinct.
Most truthy post in this entire thread. That's exactly what it is. Maybe all the "latin flights" always have that one drunk Germany guy who started the ball rolling, or maybe all the german flights have that one drunken spaniard who does the same. Unless you guys are on MY flight, in which case you will know its the drunken Canadian lady trying to annoy other anti-clapping FTers, you'll never know.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
applause upon landing?

I've got the solution!

Ryanair & the other LCCs can charge an optional "clapping fee". And if you don't book in advance & just break into spontaneous applause on landing, they charge you 3x the prebooked cost, before they let you off the plane.

Win-win!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: Lufthansa/Aeroplan/Air Berlin
Originally Posted by DeanB
I've got the solution!

Ryanair & the other LCCs can charge an optional "clapping fee". And if you don't book in advance & just break into spontaneous applause on landing, they charge you 3x the prebooked cost, before they let you off the plane.

Win-win!

The only way this is a win for me is if i can use reward miles for it.

Reward Applause. I like it. That will turn some of the theories in the thread ("its just the newbie fliers!") upside down.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by abpat2203
I have never seen anyone applaud at the end of a movie. Even when it was an exceptionally good movie, there were probably a few stray claps.
The only time I've ever heard clapping in a movie theater in the U.S. was when I went on opening night to the new Star Trek movie a couple years ago. In a theater filled to the brim with geeks and nerds, the lights dimmed, the projector flickered, and the room erupted in a roar of applause from the excitement of the long-anticipated next installment in the franchise.

I've never heard applause before or after a movie at any other time in the U.S., and outside of films associated with genres that induce cult-like followings (mostly fantasy and sci-fi--think Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, comic book superheroes, etc.) where the sense of community bond with your fellow movie-goers is stronger, I certainly wouldn't expect applause, even for cinematic masterpieces or hugely popular movies (I didn't hear any applause at such blockbusters as Titanic or Avatar).
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:10 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
I can really only remember clapping on one occasion, in 1986 flying Rhein Mein to Fort Dix coming back from a tour of duty in Germany while in the Army.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: AC-E, Fairmont Platinum, Marriott Gold, BA, Delta SkyMiles
I've not witnessed this on AC flights but occasionally on LH flights. I clap along as well.

I've also seen this on QR or EK flights bringing Filipino migrant workers from the Middle East back to MNL. I think they are simply very happy to be home.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:08 pm

Update: I am now 3 out of 4 on flights landing in SJU on JetBlue with clapping. The only exception was a redeye.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Half a plane or more clapped in April 2010 MAD-MIA. I assume all those clapping were like me, and had been stuck in Europe for 7+ days due to the volcano eruption in Iceland. I had migrated from DUS to MRS, and when a seat opened up MAD-anywhere mainland USA I took it. Lots of Happy Clappers on that plane. After MIA I still had to get to IAH but that was no problem, and was upgraded on CO.

The pilot also got a lot of kisses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.