Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best and Worst Airports you have been to (Overall Experience)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Best: SIN, HKG, NRT

I have been to ICN as well but couldn't put in since I felt that dining options were limited and the washrooms looked tatty IMO. Although, the interior (like the hardwood floors) and laptop stations would have blown the above airports to boot.

Worst: MNL (From the moment you deplane to the moment you depart. Especially with that terminal fee and horrbile queues at immigration and baggage claim)

Cheers
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
I'm only speaking for US airports. The best seem to be ones that have terminals that were built all at once; DTW, DEN, IND, etc. The worst seem to be the ones that have an extension added every few years; CLE, MCI, etc.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt

Best: ZRH, ICN, YUL/YYZ, TLV.

Worst: MNL, DKR, SVO/DME, CDG
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:43 am

This has actually been covered roughly a zillion times, for example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...lown-into.html.

That notwithstanding, my best airport experiences were SIN, HKG, and DCA (Giving props to my home airport. Don't know why, but I love it...). My worst experiences are IAD (Slightly less crappy since they demolished the G concourse...), LAX, and FCO. DPS was close, but it is in Bali, so I'll give it a pass.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: most of them
I think the bad experiences are the ones that really stick with you. For me, recently, that means JFK and PEK. JFK because you have to walk 30 miles up and down and down and up to get to baggage claim and then if you are taking the airtrain and shuttle bus. Maybe that is a unique problem to the AA terminal?

PEK was a horrible, horrible experience when I transited through last month. Transfer security took forever because the agents made everyone remove every single electronic device (includign all cameras and camera lenses) from their carry ons to be placed in a bin. It was totally stupid and time consuming. Then when I arrived at the gate to board my UA fligth I was informed once i got to the front of the line that I had to go to the podium to get yet another boarding pass even though I already had one. And then they had another security gauntlet that required every pax to have their bags rifled through. No water bottles allowed onto the a/c. Don't know if that was a USA specific thing, a UA specific thing, or a PEK specific thing. But it was idiotic.

And of course CDG is just awful. Or it was the one time I had to transit through it and swore to never go there again.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by glennaa11
And then they had another security gauntlet that required every pax to have their bags rifled through. No water bottles allowed onto the a/c. Don't know if that was a USA specific thing, a UA specific thing, or a PEK specific thing. But it was idiotic.
Actually it is common for many Asian airports with flights to the US. You will get the same jetway baggage search in HKG too.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Best: Koh Samui
Worst: Lagos
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11
And then they had another security gauntlet that required every pax to have their bags rifled through. No water bottles allowed onto the a/c. Don't know if that was a USA specific thing, a UA specific thing, or a PEK specific thing. But it was idiotic.
I left China via PVG, and had a similar experience. On my flight to Asia, I got rather dehydrated, so I bought a bottle of water post-security, before boarding my flight back to ORD. I paid close to $8USD for the bottle, and then had to throw it in the trash, because I wasn't allowed to bring it on the plane. Very frustrating!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:26 am

Best: DEN
Worst: MIA
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by HeelsnDores
I left China via PVG, and had a similar experience. On my flight to Asia, I got rather dehydrated, so I bought a bottle of water post-security, before boarding my flight back to ORD. I paid close to $8USD for the bottle, and then had to throw it in the trash, because I wasn't allowed to bring it on the plane. Very frustrating!
I can usually sneak on a bottle of water in my carry-on or laptop bag. Just hide it well. The security usually doesn't really dig into your bags. My last 2 or 3 trips to Asia, they have just opened the bags and done a cursory poke, nothing more.

At least that has been my personal experience, YMMV.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

Gotta give a shoutout to the all new YWG. It's spectacular.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by rafi2k6
Best: ZRH, ICN, YUL/YYZ, TLV.

Worst: MNL, DKR, SVO/DME, CDG
YYZ? I'm guessing you didn't eat there or do a trans-border to the US?

Fav:
Ammenities/Shopping: NRT, LHR, DXB, HKG

LAX because they really know how to move people. I've been from check in to gate in 10 minutes
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
Best - SIN and HKG and DTW (surprisingly I liked it)
Worst - CDG, DEL (the old one), LAX

BTW -- LHR, JFK, LGA aren't any particular joys either

Won't bother rating small airports ... as they are what they are.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:34 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Best: SIN, AMS, ICN, SFO (new terminal)

Worst: DPS, CGK, JFK, LGA, PEK
Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:03 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Best: SIN on a global scale, BCN (new terminal) in Europe.

Worst: have never been to any dreadful airports, Larnaca (Cyprus) arrivals made me think I should arrived on an unmarked plane with a hood over my head. As for the most inconvenient airport that I've had to travel through in terms of the layout, moving about, etc., I'd give it to FRA. For the definition of boredom - though I haven't been there in over a decade - I still remember ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.