Community
Wiki Posts
Search

applause upon landing?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
On a really gusty landing into Nassau once. Wasn't sure if it was holidays related or relief.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
tonite after a dreadful flight into ORD - in fact, there were actually cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:38 am

Only once. December 1999 Dad was about to turn 60 and was flying his last trip as a UAL 777 Capt. MIA to Buenos Aires. The airline allowed us (family) to come along for the ride in Business. They made some announcement about it being Captain Bob's last flight (of course it wasn't really, he had to fly back!) and then they said something again when we landed and we all clapped & cheered.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: US GP, UA Prem Exec, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold,
Exclamation Tucked, Prayed, then Clapped Last Week

1st post!

COS-PHX last Wednesday on a USAir/Mesa CRJ900

We blew a nose tire taking off from COS...felt like a small bump. The moment it blew, the pilot rotated back and up we went. We were unaware of the event until 30 mins prior to landing. The FA came on and told us that the tire blew and that the airplane reported nose gear damage. An emergency landing into PHX was declared. We were then instructed how to take the crash position, how to evacuate in a fire, etc.. The FA tried to keep things calm but from my perch in 2A, I could hear her instructing the non-rev pilot in Row 1 on how to open the emergency door and open her restraints in the event she was "incapacitated upon landing".

Five seconds prior to landing, the pilot announced "Crash crash crash" as promised. We hunkered down and waited. The rear wheels made contact and we hurtled down the runway. The pilot held the front gear up for as long as possible... something like the Space Shuttle landings. Eventually we dropped onto the 1 good tire and came to a stop. Out the window we could see 10 firetrucks and 2 news choppers (with camera crews quite peeved that we didn't cartwheel or fireball).

Then we hooted, hollered and clapped. That's my story.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: QF Gold, SQ, AA, HA
Only time I can remember people clapping is upon landing at KTM on TG in 2003. It was a bit of a bumpy ride but nothing hugely out of the ordinary so I guess it must have been a cultural thing.

Oh, and welcome to FT sbeach
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
A couple of different times when there was a bumpy approach. It seems a little funny since they were probably autolands - hey, I rarely even clap my dishwasher when it finishes.

(Plus one time on a captain's last flight with a hose down)

Last edited by beerup; Mar 10, 2009 at 11:27 pm
Old Mar 3, 2009, 4:08 pm

Location: Happiest Place on Earth~ Mickey's Home: ORLANDO, SUNNY FLORIDA!
Programs: #1 Delta, National, Marriott #2 American, Hertz, Hilton
Latin America and Carribean

Everytime I have flown into Latin America (Guatemala) or the Carribean (San Juan, Santo Domingo) people tend to clap. They love it and it brings a HUGE smile to people's faces. I absolutely LOVE it. What a way to end a flight.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
I've seen clapping several times, it happened more often in the past.

Just the ones I remember:
* My first time arriving at JFK (from Spain) on a TWA flight full of Spanish tourists, back in '90 or '91, I remember seeing just ocean until quite close to touchdown, then people started clapping.

* Landing at Frankfurt-Hann, February, extremely windy, the most I've ever seen and snowing. Plus it was a Ryanair flight, mostly young passengers, probably not that used to travel and I think everybody was a bit scared, you know, just silent and watching. They started clapping once we all felt "safe".

Another time, just on a very very smooth landing, very well executed, Iberia in BCN, people started timidly clapping and then the rest joined. That is the only time I've clapped. It seemed like a really good landing.

Btw, I misread the title of this thread at first, reading too fast, I thought, what the f*
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: *S(SK EBS), Marriott Platinum Elite
2 weeks ago, on a very, very delayed flight from SOF to VIE, on a flight operated by Bulgaria Air, most of the people applauded upon landing. I dont know if this was because we finally arrived, or that we managed to survive the flight.... This was the oldest, and absolutely the oldest airplane I have ever flown on...
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1P
Naples must have the shortest runway I've ever seen and it right between housing complexes. So we had do come in pretty slow with the pilot keeping just enough power to keep us in the air. Once we landed and stopped in time we all gave quite the ovation to the crew.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:37 am

I was recently on a bus from BOS-NYC and there were some problems. It was 90 outside and no AC on the bus, so it was more like 100 inside. The driver opened the roof escape hatch for air. A few miles down the road, the hatch flew off, hopefully it didn't hit a car behind us. Then the bus made a funny noise so the driver pulled over to find out why. Turns out the bus was leaking oil and the oil level was low. We drove no faster than 45 mph the rest of the way, pulling over multiple times to check the oil level. When we were in New York, we hit another car that was turning, fortunately no damage. Upon arrival at the bus stop in NYC, everyone clapped.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: FB,BA,M&M,Privilege
Easyjet BRS-Milan three weeks ago. I think people were glad to be home but I have come across it with Italian and Spanish flights before. Usually leisure rather than business travellers. Never had it with Brits coming the other way.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:50 pm

Coming home to LGA on 9/11/2003. The "tribute in lights", 2 giant beams of light honoring WTC victims, were visible from quite a ways out, and everyone was staring at them. Some people were in tears, and when we landed there was restrained applause. Quite moving.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rbwpi
In 1968, on a flight from Viet Nam to McChord Air Force Base in Washington. When we touched down there was cheering, yelling and applause for several minutes at a very high volume level. I will never forget it.
Similar experience but at Travis AFB, CA ^
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:13 pm

I've been on lots of clapping flights.

I often fly into Toncontin (Tegucigalpa, Honduras) which has a very short runway. Pilots must have special training to land there. There is always clapping on TACA and almost always on Continental and American when we land. It is a pretty abrupt stop. A TACA flight overshot the runway there last May. As others have mentioned many Central Americans make the sign of the cross on take-off, too.

I've also been on flights into SNA that were possible slated to be diverted to LAX due to the curfew. When we land, people usually clap. It's a huge relief not to have to deal with a bus ride back to SNA at midnight.

One memorable flight while I was in college I was on a 747 from LAX-MSP. Due to blizzards in MSP we were the only flight from LAX to actually land at MSP for about 48 hours. En route we were told we could possibly be diverted to Kansas City, Chicago, and two other airports I can't remember. We were glad to make it into MSP and applause broke out.

I kinda think it's fun when it happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.