applause upon landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

applause upon landing?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:29 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I've only seen it on flights that were especially rough or especially late -- in the latter case it allways seems to be a bit of snark
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:15 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Happened a few times to me: once upon landing in HNL, for no apparent reason. Another -- yesterday, on WN SAN-OAK. The weather was especially rough before landing (a good 10 minutes of bouncing around) with almost zero visibility.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:53 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Yesterday on BUD-MUC there was a school class group on board (aged about 15 years) and it was very loud on the flight, also the applause on landing was included !!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:56 am

Programs: DL Silver
Applause in my experience almost never happens; when it does, it's usually from a cabin full of inexperienced flyers combined either experiencing a rough landing or going to a vacation stop (HNL, MCO, etc).
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by slickalick
Actually i've never experienced applause on US airlines. Very common during my Alitalia days, sometimes on the old Swissair and just very recently on PR.
Same here; don't ever recall it on US flights, but it used to be quite common on AZ. However, haven't heard it there either the past couple years.

In fact, it used to be standard enough on Italian flights that it was included in Bruno Bozzetto's fantastic animation about the difference between Italians and the rest of the Europeans.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:59 am
adr

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, IC RA
Originally Posted by sheila-toulouse
My french colleagues like to question me on all things 'american' that they find curious. Recently they asked my why Americans applaud when the plane lands. A few of them had witnessed this and were confused. I've seen it a few times, but not necessarily after an especially impressive landing. So, can anyone answer this? Does it happen only in certain regions (they saw it in the midwest on regional carriers (nw airlink). Does it happen in other countries? And WHY do people do it?

Thanks!

Sheila
Some of passangers clapped on my Aerolineas Argentinas flight the other day. Not sure why, was a pretty uneventful flight. I find it a bid weird, to be honest.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:05 pm

I was on a CDG-JFK flight over Christmas and there was appluase on landing which I thought was weird because its more of a business and mature croud on most Europe-US flights durring the winter. I hate clapping, its so tacky and reminds me of flying to Orlando. I mean I aspire to become a pilot and I know that landing a plane does require a lot of skill, I mean i take lessons myself, but theres somethign about it I just dont like.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: Qantas, Thai
Originally Posted by salklmfly
I was on a CDG-JFK flight over Christmas and there was appluase on landing which I thought was weird because its more of a business and mature croud on most Europe-US flights durring the winter. I hate clapping, its so tacky and reminds me of flying to Orlando. I mean I aspire to become a pilot and I know that landing a plane does require a lot of skill, I mean i take lessons myself, but theres somethign about it I just dont like.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 5:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Normally people applaud on planes because they've been stuck in the airport too long and finally are wherever they are.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 5:32 am

Programs: B6,HH Diamond, Avis First
I fly JFK-SJU-JFK often (B6 & AA) and on every flight there is applause on landing. The more the turbulance or worse the weather, the more the applause.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 7:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (My IV to the Net: BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I've only experienced applause on flights that have been rough, turbulence-wise.

I always assumed it was meant as a show of relief and/or appreciation to the pilot for getting us down safely.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sheila-toulouse
Recently they asked my why Americans applaud when the plane lands. A few of them had witnessed this and were confused. I've seen it a few times, but not necessarily after an especially impressive landing. So, can anyone answer this?
It's not particularly Americans who do this.

I've 3 times I've seen it happen in the last 6-7 years have all been on non-U.S. carriers.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:15 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Normally people applaud on planes because they've been stuck in the airport too long and finally are wherever they are.
After a 30 hour delay (strikes AND engine fueling problems) at LHR about 8 years ago, the whole plane CHEERED when we finally got OFF the ground
Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
It happens routinely on Latin American flights, especially domestic.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:58 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
I have seen this phenomenon this a few times. Most of the time, it was the equivalent of cheering for a bus arriving at a bus stop.

Once, I thought the applause was particularly appropriate though was when we had a dangerous approach / landing (pilots said something about hydraulics / wingflaps not working, and having to manually land using the engines to control altitude; pax cheered as we were greeted by a group of firetrucks on the runway. My GA buddy later informed me that the a/c had been in bad shape and we were lucky to have landed at all).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.